Missing Kittens

Annolyin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help! I took in an abandoned young cat about 5 months ago and she had kittens at my place just before Christmas. The 2 kittens that survived seem healthy but they ventured outside last night for the first time and havent come back yet. they're only 5 weeks old. the mumma cat has come back home but didnt bring the kittens with her, she seems very anxious and keeps wanting me to come outside with her. she doesnt seem to know where they are either tho. i've poked around outside but i can't see them anywhere. It's been about 18hrs now.
Should they come back when they're hungry?
How far would they go?
Can they find their way home?

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did they escape by accident? 5 week old kittens shouldn't be away from their mom/supervision for more than a few hours, let alone outside on their own! I fear for the worst in this scenario if it has been nearly a full day already.

Is mom cat fixed? If not, she should be kept indoors until she is. She can get pregnant again if she hasn't already.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Annolyin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had the door open so the mum could go out before bed, the kittens have never shown interest in going outside before so i didnt think to keep an eye on them. Mum comes and goes as she pleases, i realise i should get her fixed but tbh i can't afford it and i'm very remote and there's not a vet nearby that can do it.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had the door open so the mum could go out before bed, the kittens have never shown interest in going outside before so i didnt think to keep an eye on them. Mum comes and goes as she pleases, i realise i should get her fixed but tbh i can't afford it and i'm very remote and there's not a vet nearby that can do it.
If you can't fix her, please keep her indoors so the cycle doesn't continue! I hope the kittens find their way home.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Unless mama kitty can find her kittens they are doomed, as at 5 weeks they are unable to fend for themselves to get food or escape predators.

Please keep mama kitty inside or she will be pregnant again soon.

Mom and kittens should always stay 100% inside.

What is your city and state? I can locate a low-cost spay clinic for you.

Annolyin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm in Australia. Some of the local have said that the government does free spayings for cats/dogs but no one seems to know how often or where I can get it done.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Call the RSPCA. They should be able to offer information about spaying and cost.

Do look for the kittens again as soon as it's light out. This is very distressing.

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried going out and looking for them? They could have crawled somewhere and can’t get out.

Annolyin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found them. Some kids across the road had taken them inside. They're home now and snuggled up with mamma.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness!! What a relief. Hope you can keep everybody indoors and safe from now on. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank goodness! Inside only now. Poor kittens must be starving!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom must stay inside 100% of the time now too. She will be pregnant again before you know it otherwise.