Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Missing Kittens

Discussion in 'Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care' started by Annolyin, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Annolyin

Annolyin Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

Jan 29, 2018
    Help! I took in an abandoned young cat about 5 months ago and she had kittens at my place just before Christmas. The 2 kittens that survived seem healthy but they ventured outside last night for the first time and havent come back yet. they're only 5 weeks old. the mumma cat has come back home but didnt bring the kittens with her, she seems very anxious and keeps wanting me to come outside with her. she doesnt seem to know where they are either tho. i've poked around outside but i can't see them anywhere. It's been about 18hrs now.
    Should they come back when they're hungry?
    How far would they go?
    Can they find their way home?

2. laurenfosters

laurenfosters TCS Member Adult Cat

Dec 13, 2017
    Did they escape by accident? 5 week old kittens shouldn't be away from their mom/supervision for more than a few hours, let alone outside on their own! I fear for the worst in this scenario if it has been nearly a full day already.

Is mom cat fixed? If not, she should be kept indoors until she is. She can get pregnant again if she hasn't already.

Sarthur2 and kirathecat purraised this.

3. Annolyin

Jan 29, 2018
    I had the door open so the mum could go out before bed, the kittens have never shown interest in going outside before so i didnt think to keep an eye on them. Mum comes and goes as she pleases, i realise i should get her fixed but tbh i can't afford it and i'm very remote and there's not a vet nearby that can do it.

4. laurenfosters

Dec 13, 2017
    If you can't fix her, please keep her indoors so the cycle doesn't continue! I hope the kittens find their way home.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018

5. Sarthur2

Sarthur2 Cat lady extraordinaire Staff Member Advisor

Mar 8, 2015
    Sunny Florida
    Unless mama kitty can find her kittens they are doomed, as at 5 weeks they are unable to fend for themselves to get food or escape predators.

Please keep mama kitty inside or she will be pregnant again soon.

Mom and kittens should always stay 100% inside.

What is your city and state? I can locate a low-cost spay clinic for you.

6. Annolyin

Jan 29, 2018
    I'm in Australia. Some of the local have said that the government does free spayings for cats/dogs but no one seems to know how often or where I can get it done.

7. Sarthur2

Mar 8, 2015
    Sunny Florida
    Call the RSPCA. They should be able to offer information about spaying and cost.

Do look for the kittens again as soon as it's light out. This is very distressing.

8. kirathecat

kirathecat TCS Member Adult Cat

Jun 1, 2016
    Maryland
    Have you tried going out and looking for them? They could have crawled somewhere and can’t get out.

9. Annolyin

Jan 29, 2018
    I found them. Some kids across the road had taken them inside. They're home now and snuggled up with mamma.

maggiedemi and kirathecat purraised this.

10. kirathecat

kirathecat TCS Member Adult Cat

Jun 1, 2016
    Maryland
    Thank God! I’m really glad they are safe :bliss:

11. laurenfosters

Dec 13, 2017
    Thank goodness!! What a relief. Hope you can keep everybody indoors and safe from now on. :)

12. lacy2000

lacy2000 Windy City Fosters Alpha Cat

Aug 28, 2016
    Chicago Suburbs
    This post took me on an emotional roller coaster! So glad you found them!!♥️

kirathecat purraised this.

13. Sarthur2

Mar 8, 2015
    Sunny Florida
    Thank goodness! Inside only now. Poor kittens must be starving!

14. talkingpeanut

talkingpeanut TCS Member Top Cat

Oct 12, 2015
    Mom must stay inside 100% of the time now too. She will be pregnant again before you know it otherwise.