Missing kitten

Catmam2OceanBlue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please help my 5month old black male kitten got out yesterday and has been missing since. He is a house cat only and has occasional fresh air in the yard with high wall. He is not microchipped due to age I am aware they can be microchipped young but I am in the UK and I was advised by my vet they would recommend only microchip when performing another procedure like neutering etc due to discomfort in young cats for microchip. He also doesn't wear a collar as he slips them. Not neutered yet.
Things I've done
Left litter outside
Left his food outside
Left his bed outside
Left back door open
Left some fur contents of my hoover at front and back doors
Posted on Facebook on numerous local pages
Looked a distance of 20mins from home while calling him

Any advice on what else I could do please I'm sick with worry He is so loved

I will be ringing round all local vets in my area today to see if he's been handed in

Also will be making posters

Thankyou

Attachments

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It's so scary when this happens but you are likely to find him.. don't panic.

Calling isn't so helpful as cats can hole up and hide. My first things would be calling any rescues to see if anyone has handed him in, posters with his photos and doorknocking.
Here's a really good article that will give you more ideas:

He may have hit puberty.. it's not uncommon in a five month old cat. That will definitely give him a bad case of wanderlust.
I have no idea why your vet gave that advice about microchips.. it's very easy to do. When you get him back do get him neutered and chipped asap. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmam2OceanBlue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou for this and in regards to microchip its something about the weight if the cat when young can be a painful procedure according to my vet however I had only just gotten him when I took him to be chipped and vaccinated and he was only 9weeks old and came from a bad environment where there wasn't alot of food so was slightly underweight at the time we baught him. The vet wanted him to be vaccinated and chipped aswel as neutered all together and there was and still is I believe a shortage of vaccinations at the time due to covid increasing cat owners and high demand so I was refused . Which is now a huge worry because having a none chipped none neutered unvaccinated kitty on the lose is not a good combination. I've took a look at the helpful tips and will definatley try some of them that I haven't already

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is almost certainly very close to home. Cats who are indoor only tend to "go to ground" near where they got out. Best times to search are dawn and dusk, when the light is that wonderful indigo blue. Take a flashlight. More cats have been spotted by their eye-shine than most people believe! Look in small, dark, enclosed areas, and don't forget to look UP! Cats are much better at the "up" part of climbing than they are the "down" part!