Missing! How Long Will An Un-neutered Male Stay Away From Home? -- Found!!

AVANS687

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an un-neutered male cat who has been away from home for more than 2 weeks. I've been searching for him endlessly but still no luck. I've hung flyers in the neighborhood, went to the local shelter to look for him there and nothing. I've been worried sick about him. He was howling to get out to mate the night before he left. He does not like strangers and would not approach a random person. He is very attached to me and I find it strange he has not returned yet. I live in an area with few natural predators. Is this normal to stay gone for so long? How long have your cats been gone? When did they come back? I have hope he is ok but very worried and hoping to hear experiences from some of you. Thanks

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If he's unneutered, he is probably looking for a mate. Male cats can travel miles to answer the call of love. This is why we urge people to spay or neuter their pets. It can be very dangerous for housecats out there.

You can set his litter box outside the house - the smell may attract him back. I would also call his name late at night, as he may be hunkered down and too frightened to come out during the day.

Vibes you are able to find him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AVANS687

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice. How long do males normally stay away from home? We've been searching near our house and have expanded our search miles since its been more than 2 weeks. I just want to see him jump the fence back home.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is really no telling how long he'll stay away because he may have gotten lost, injured or been taken in by someone.

I would just keep looking. Praying for his safe return.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Some feral toms I care for were gone for up to six months at a time before I got them all neutered. Even very friendly tom cats can't resist the "Call of The Wild".

Really, the only way to stop him roaming is to get him fixed. Don't give up on him yet, but be prepared to get him neutered as soon as he comes back home.

Good luck.

AVANS687

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some feral toms I care for were gone for up to six months at a time before I got them all neutered. Even very friendly tom cats can't resist the "Call of The Wild".

Really, the only way to stop him roaming is to get him fixed. Don't give up on him yet, but be prepared to get him neutered as soon as he comes back home.

Good luck.
Thank you for your encouragement. Yes, he will be getting neutered and I'll be getting him a GPS tracker as soon as he comes home.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a feral tom I had been trying unsuccessfully to trap that left and was gone for 5 months. He did return, but not until the weather was cool and mating season was coming to an end. It is their nature when not neutered to wander and wander. They will forego food and water for long periods as they are completely are hormone driven.

Please get him neutered when he does return. It can take 3+ weeks for the hormones to shut down after the neuter so it is best to keep him inside during that time period.

AVANS687

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for sharing. It gives me hope to hear stories like this that he will indeed return. He will be neutered when he comes home. It's agonizing waiting for him. I been searching everywhere but it seems like he will decide to come home when he wants to.

AVANS687

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes!!!! He's home! Someone saw my flyer and called me. I went to look where they said and he was there!!!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!! Can you keep him inside until he is neutered? Actually, you should probably keep him in for a month after while you wait for the hormones to leave his body.

CakeAngel78

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi where was he may I ask. My 1 and a half year old boy (unneutered) has been missing since Saturday and it’s now Wednesday. I had him booked in to be neutered on Monday. Typical. I’m so worried and my children are so upset

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi where was he may I ask. My 1 and a half year old boy (unneutered) has been missing since Saturday and it’s now Wednesday. I had him booked in to be neutered on Monday. Typical. I’m so worried and my children are so upset
Hi CakeAngel78 CakeAngel78 Sorry you haven't had a reply yet. Has he come home yet? At this time of year an 18 month old male is most likely out looking for a mate. There must be a female in heat somewhere. Male cats can travel several miles looking for females. Are there any feral cat colonies in your area? That would be the best place to look for him.

Good luck!

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a feral tom I had been trying unsuccessfully to trap that left and was gone for 5 months. He did return, but not until the weather was cool and mating season was coming to an end. It is their nature when not neutered to wander and wander. They will forego food and water for long periods as they are completely are hormone driven.

Please get him neutered when he does return. It can take 3+ weeks for the hormones to shut down after the neuter so it is best to keep him inside during that time period.
I also have a feral that use to be here quit a few times in the night and now it has been gone since June 8th 2018. This cat and another seemed to be coming around the same time, most of the time so I am thinking they are buddies. Now the other one comes, doesn't eat some of the time, just lays and waits. Then it will leave and sometimes not come around for a day or two. So it is waiting for the one that is missing? Do they really become friends?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They can, and do, become friends. I spend hours at night watching my neighborhood ferals. They are endlessly fascinating to me. And I've noticed that there are several "hunting buddies" that I always see in pairs, and always the same two together.

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They can, and do, become friends. I spend hours at night watching my neighborhood ferals. They are endlessly fascinating to me. And I've noticed that there are several "hunting buddies" that I always see in pairs, and always the same two together.
My thoughts are if they are buddies, where is his friend? Why isn't he with her. I actually do think she comes looking for him and then goes off somewhere else to look for him, that's why she is gone a few days. She is spayed, but as far as I know he isn't neutered. I tried to trap him but didn't have any luck. I was in the process of trying again, when he disappeared. I also think they are together because they both had something wrong with there tails around the same time. So they were both tangling with the same animal. I do hope he returns, because I think she is upset. I know he isn't on the rode anywhere because when one of them are missing that is the first thing I do, scan the highway. I also have trail cameras out so I know who is coming and going.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he isn't neutered, then that's the answer to where he is. This is kitten season, when females are pretty much constantly in heat unless pregnant. He's out tomcatting around.

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he isn't neutered, then that's the answer to where he is. This is kitten season, when females are pretty much constantly in heat unless pregnant. He's out tomcatting around.
I hope that is not the case, but I do hope he is alive. When they are out roaming for a female, don't they usually stick with the cat that they impregnated? For some reason I think that. If that is the case, that means I have two cats to get fixed and many kittens on the side, if it brings it home.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since toms can impregnate MANY females during "kitten season," no. They don't stick around as a "bonded pair." And a queen may mate with many toms during a heat, actually bearing litters that have several fathers in each litter. The toms mate, and go find another willing girl. The chance of him bringing a girl home are very, very slim...that said, it has happened. One of the feral queens in my neighborhood is always in the company of The Old Man, a battle-scarred tom, but that's a rare thing, indeed.