Missing Claws?

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just noticed that my newly adopted shelter kitty Gypsy has some missing claws. They are the 2 middle fingers of both her front paws. The other claws are there but the two middle fingers are clawless. What is up with that? Is that some new fangled partial declaw she got? or maybe she lost them in an accident? I can't believe someone would do this to her?!!

The more time I have spent with her I am finding out more stuff about her past life that must have been horrible for her. The chronic dental hygiene, abandoned by her family, and now this missing claws. What kind of former life did my kitty have?!!

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have anything to add as far as the claws go because that does seem super odd, but I just wanted to say I'm glad that Gypsy is in great hands with you and whatever painful things she went through earlier on in life won't happen to her anymore now that she's with you:vibes::hearthrob::redheartpump:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It could be due to some kind of accident but it is certainly odd. All I can do is second what 2rescuekitties has said, that Gypsy is a very lucky cat to have now moved in to a home where humans are caring and want her to be comfortable, well and happy. Try not to torment your self with thoughts of what might have been in her life before joining your family, and focus on getting to know her and making her life from now on in as purrfect as you can. :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm totally smitten with my new sweet kitty. She is a quirky goofball but can be so sweet. She does have some odd behavior when it comes to loving that makes me think she may not have gotten very much demonstrative or physical love before. I mean lots of petting, massages, grooming, kissing, hugs, scratching, rubbing tummy, etc. Just the everyday types of love you may show to your cat because you love them.

When I first got her she would pull away from me or flinch a lot when I would try to pet her. So I just paid attention to her body language and let her show me how she liked to be touched and treated. I never had to do that with a cat before so it makes me wonder how much socialization and intimacy she got from her other family?

But I am making it my job to make sure that she has a loving home that she can be herself in and know that I am her family, friend, caregiver, and that I love her.