Missing cat advice

Pannonica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. Just joined this forum to seek some advice about my cat who has gone missing.

I moved to a farm recently (about a month ago) and my cat has been missing for about a week now. She went missing when I first arrived here and came back on the third day.

Unfortunately there are three undesexed tom cats on the farm who loiter about the house all day and night. There is a dominant one who has been following my cat around at night, with arched back and hair on end. My cat doesn't want a bar of it. The other two are okay, one tags along with the main tom cat and the other one keeps to himself and hides a lot.

There are two other workers on the farm who insist on keeping the cats, but refuse to feed them wet food/meat and won't let them inside. The owners have agreed to have them desexed this friday.

I've been camping outside a little away from the front of the house and up until a week ago my cat would typically come to the tent and meow to come inside for a bit, and I would also leave food/water out for her. But for the past week I haven't heard her and I've caught the main tom cat lurking around my tent, two nights in a row, trying to scab food. When I've gone out to look for her at night they follow me, and lately they seem to hang around the outer shed which is positioned at the entrance to the property, which makes me wonder if they have driven her away in that direction.

I've gained permission from the owners to put the two tom cats (not the shy one) in a shed overnight until they get desexed.

I plan on walking around at night as usual, looking/calling for her. It is generally a 2 hour walk to cover most of the property, going along the tree lines. Probably 4 hours if I were to go up and down all the grassy hills further afield. Have contacted neighbours about it as well who are not too far down the road.

I've been wondering however, if I should relocate my tent to somewhere else, further away from the house. Or should I keep it in the same spot?

I've been hearing the neighbour's dogs barking at night but not sure if they have always barked at night. Have only started pricking my ears up since she's been gone. The neighbours tell me there are foxes in the area so perhaps they are causing the comotion, but I also wonder if my cat is sheltering herself under a neighbour's house, and venturing out at night. I was thinking of setting up camp in a paddock between the neighbour's and the farm, hopong that she might recognise the tent and approach. I just fear that she might be too scared to come back and I can only put the tom cats inside at night for so long.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Were you always living in the tent or in a house there? I am not sure what the original situation was. Generally when you move with your cat if the cat has been an indoor outdoor cat you have to keep her inside for at least a few weeks before letting her go out because they can become disoriented and then they may try to go back to their original home if possible and get lost.
I am not sure what the best thing to do is I would go and speak to all of the neighbors and try to look for her if you think she could be hiding somewhere near their houses. Try walking around with the tape of a cat meowing because a lot of cats that are lost and scared will respond to that. You’re also supposed to put out laundry that smells like you maybe some cat litter of hers and stuff like that. you have to be careful with the cat literal I think if there are foxes or other predators in the area generally the foxes do not bother cats.

It could be that the Toms have chased her away like you said. So she could be closer to the neighbors or somewhere else but you need to talk to all of these people to see if anybody could be feeding her.

I hope she turns up soon. ❤

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Along w/ all of that excellent advice…is it worth at all or possible to search where it was you came from? Cats do have a way of hiding until they feel safe, or until a truly safe place is created for them & perhaps your tent needs more familiar smells in it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pannonica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Were you always living in the tent or in a house there? I am not sure what the original situation was. Generally when you move with your cat if the cat has been an indoor outdoor cat you have to keep her inside for at least a few weeks before letting her go out because they can become disoriented and then they may try to go back to their original home if possible and get lost.
I am not sure what the best thing to do is I would go and speak to all of the neighbors and try to look for her if you think she could be hiding somewhere near their houses. Try walking around with the tape of a cat meowing because a lot of cats that are lost and scared will respond to that. You’re also supposed to put out laundry that smells like you maybe some cat litter of hers and stuff like that. you have to be careful with the cat literal I think if there are foxes or other predators in the area generally the foxes do not bother cats.

It could be that the Toms have chased her away like you said. So she could be closer to the neighbors or somewhere else but you need to talk to all of these people to see if anybody could be feeding her.

I hope she turns up soon. ❤
I stayed inside the house for the first few days. When I realised she was missing and wasn't inclined to approach the house because ofbthe toms, I decided to camp outside, about a stone's throw from my bedroom. When she returned I kept her inside for about a week and she hated it. Hid in my jacket sleeve for two days, then under the blanket for another three days straight. I slept inside as well during that time which I also disliked (I usually sleep outside). As she began to spend all her time sitting on the window sill looking out, I felt sorry for her and left the window open and she let herself out, but regularly came to my tent on a nightly basis to say hi, eat food, etc.

There was a few windy/rainy days when I retreated indoors to sleep. Otherwise I've been sleeping outside and have been doing so for at least the past six months now, even when I was living near the city in suburbia. So she is very familiar with the sight of my tent, I imagine. The farm where I'm living is nearly a two hour drive from my old place, so I highly doubt she would make it there on her own.

I've spoken to the neighbours to let them know that I'll be looking for her and some of them have my number. No one has seen her though. One neighbour told me that he's noticed a different kind of poo in his shed which he suspects is fox poo. Another neighbour told me that there are foxes that come around and play with his golden retriever at night. I like to think that foxes are a bit like cat-dogs and so naturally wouldn't be inclined to hunt cats. Apparently it happens, but very rarely.

I'm thinking about setting up camp near the T intersection where the side road is that leads to the neighbour's houses, and pegging some of my laundry along the fenceline to leave a scent trail to my tent. I was wondering if I should dab some strips of fabric with chicken liver as well, because she almost always has a hankering for it.

Have also spoken to two vets. One recommends staying put where I already am, and the other recommends relocating further up the road and using scent markers.

I think it probably won't hurt to relocate for one night. See if that helps. Might also go through the bin to find some cat litter.

Thanks for your all your advice.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stayed inside the house for the first few days. When I realised she was missing and wasn't inclined to approach the house because ofbthe toms, I decided to camp outside, about a stone's throw from my bedroom. When she returned I kept her inside for about a week and she hated it. Hid in my jacket sleeve for two days, then under the blanket for another three days straight. I slept inside as well during that time which I also disliked (I usually sleep outside). As she began to spend all her time sitting on the window sill looking out, I felt sorry for her and left the window open and she let herself out, but regularly came to my tent on a nightly basis to say hi, eat food, etc.

There was a few windy/rainy days when I retreated indoors to sleep. Otherwise I've been sleeping outside and have been doing so for at least the past six months now, even when I was living near the city in suburbia. So she is very familiar with the sight of my tent, I imagine. The farm where I'm living is nearly a two hour drive from my old place, so I highly doubt she would make it there on her own.

I've spoken to the neighbours to let them know that I'll be looking for her and some of them have my number. No one has seen her though. One neighbour told me that he's noticed a different kind of poo in his shed which he suspects is fox poo. Another neighbour told me that there are foxes that come around and play with his golden retriever at night. I like to think that foxes are a bit like cat-dogs and so naturally wouldn't be inclined to hunt cats. Apparently it happens, but very rarely.

I'm thinking about setting up camp near the T intersection where the side road is that leads to the neighbour's houses, and pegging some of my laundry along the fenceline to leave a scent trail to my tent. I was wondering if I should dab some strips of fabric with chicken liver as well, because she almost always has a hankering for it.

Have also spoken to two vets. One recommends staying put where I already am, and the other recommends relocating further up the road and using scent markers.

I think it probably won't hurt to relocate for one night. See if that helps. Might also go through the bin to find some cat litter.

Thanks for your all your advice.
When she comes back both of you should try to stay inside longer so she knows that is her house even if you end up using the tent mostly. I wish I had some other ideas but I don’t know what is the best thing to do in this situation, so you should trade those ideas and see if any of them work I’m sure other people will come along with some other ideas too.

You could try setting up some security cameras outside they have ones that will work outside and see if she turns up on any of them. A lot of people have found their missing cats this way and by asking neighbors to check their cameras if they have any.

Pannonica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Along w/ all of that excellent advice…is it worth at all or possible to search where it was you came from? Cats do have a way of hiding until they feel safe, or until a truly safe place is created for them & perhaps your tent needs more familiar smells in it?
I could search the old place, but it's two hours away by car (most of the route is along the highway as well). It would take her awhile to get back there I think and I doubt she'd make it that far.

I've been sleeping in the tent for over six months now and so I reckon she would know the smell of it. It's never been washed, and I've only wiped the folds dry after rain. I'll be getting some old blankets tonight, and anything else with her scent on it, to make a trail to my tent. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice.

Pannonica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When she comes back both of you should try to stay inside longer so she knows that is her house even if you end up using the tent mostly. I wish I had some other ideas but I don’t know what is the best thing to do in this situation, so you should trade those ideas and see if any of them work I’m sure other people will come along with some other ideas too.

You could try setting up some security cameras outside they have ones that will work outside and see if she turns up on any of them. A lot of people have found their missing cats this way and by asking neighbors to check their cameras if they have any.
I try not to jinx myself by expecting her to come back. But if she does, then I'll be putting her inside until I leave shortly thereafter. I've decided it's not a good environment for either of us. The people here are so negative, glib, and callous. No one says anything like 'I hope you find your cat'. No one seems capable of offering any kind of hope or discussion about it at all. Just plain weird jujus here. One housemate is so uptight about her furnishings that I feel that she would rather prefer it if my cat never came back. And the other housemate has opened my door a number of occassions without asking. Don't trust the situation to be honest. So I'm really just waiting for Nica's return so I can leave. Have another place lined up that is tenanted by real human beings and is actually cat friendly.

I'll give her a month but I'm not sure if I can take much more than that.

Being in the country, there is a complete lack of security around the area. No doors in the house are locked (ever) and I don't recall seeing any cctv at the neighbouring properties. There is really only one neighbour who seems helpful enough to give me the time of day. I spoke to another neighbour and he seemed annoyed and cut the conversation short. As for the others, I've left a note and the other one is fenced off and I don't know if I should intrude. I'll just do my thing for now. Take a week off work so I can stay up til 4am every night, searching/calling, and letting her know that her presence is wanted.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try not to jinx myself by expecting her to come back. But if she does, then I'll be putting her inside until I leave shortly thereafter. I've decided it's not a good environment for either of us. The people here are so negative, glib, and callous. No one says anything like 'I hope you find your cat'. No one seems capable of offering any kind of hope or discussion about it at all. Just plain weird jujus here. One housemate is so uptight about her furnishings that I feel that she would rather prefer it if my cat never came back. And the other housemate has opened my door a number of occassions without asking. Don't trust the situation to be honest. So I'm really just waiting for Nica's return so I can leave. Have another place lined up that is tenanted by real human beings and is actually cat friendly.

I'll give her a month but I'm not sure if I can take much more than that.

Being in the country, there is a complete lack of security around the area. No doors in the house are locked (ever) and I don't recall seeing any cctv at the neighbouring properties. There is really only one neighbour who seems helpful enough to give me the time of day. I spoke to another neighbour and he seemed annoyed and cut the conversation short. As for the others, I've left a note and the other one is fenced off and I don't know if I should intrude. I'll just do my thing for now. Take a week off work so I can stay up til 4am every night, searching/calling, and letting her know that her presence is wanted.
Oh that is a terrible situation. I hope you can find her, don’t lose faith. 💕 Putting stinky food out is another thing to try.

Pannonica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh that is a terrible situation. I hope you can find her, don’t lose faith. 💕 Putting stinky food out is another thing to try.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm strangely more optimistic than I was a few days ago.

No sign of her while camping by the side road. I think the first vet was probably right. I should stay where she knows where to find me. And if I can get the hungry toms inside, then I'll definitely put out some stinky treats for her. After putting them inside the first night, they are a lot harder to catch now. Didn't succeed last night.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Hey I live deep in the country too. A friend of mine had someone take care of his cat at their house and it escaped. It went straight down an enormous long ravine no human could survive, crossed a river and uphill eight miles to get back to the owner’s tiny cabin home, arriving a week later. So if you’ve tried everything else and you are able, might not hurt to check out your former residence. This one at least came with a built in homing device!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm strangely more optimistic than I was a few days ago.

No sign of her while camping by the side road. I think the first vet was probably right. I should stay where she knows where to find me. And if I can get the hungry toms inside, then I'll definitely put out some stinky treats for her. After putting them inside the first night, they are a lot harder to catch now. Didn't succeed last night.
I hope you manage to trap them because they could definitely be scaring her off. Is she microchipped?

Pannonica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey I live deep in the country too. A friend of mine had someone take care of his cat at their house and it escaped. It went straight down an enormous long ravine no human could survive, crossed a river and uphill eight miles to get back to the owner’s tiny cabin home, arriving a week later. So if you’ve tried everything else and you are able, might not hurt to check out your former residence. This one at least came with a built in homing device!
I've been wondering if she's hiding at the back of the farm along the tree line where there is dense bush and a creek trickling through. Plenty of wildlife, birds and ducks. There are countless wombat holes around the farm as well.

My old place is over 150 kms away. A bit of a hike. But I think she knows where I am. Her mum was actually released 20 kms away from where she had kittens, shortly after giving birth, and it took her two days to find her way back. So I don't doubt that my cat has good blood with a mum like that, and a solid homing instinct. That she was a stray for so long, I also don't doubt that she is more cautious and careful than most domesticated cats and always will be. Very stubborn too. She'll come to me on her own terms if and when she's ready, as always.

Pannonica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope you manage to trap them because they could definitely be scaring her off. Is she microchipped?
Yep she's microchipped. But she's very easy to spook and very hard to catch. So I don't think the microchip will come in handy unless she happens to get picked up by a zen master.

I'll just have to sit around the house with a bowl of meat and wait for the main tom cat to warm up to me. If no luck then I'll have to get a trap I think.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep she's microchipped. But she's very easy to spook and very hard to catch. So I don't think the microchip will come in handy unless she happens to get picked up by a zen master.

I'll just have to sit around the house with a bowl of meat and wait for the main tom cat to warm up to me. If no luck then I'll have to get a trap I think.
Good idea, try the trap if needed. Well at least if she is taken in by someone they will prolly check for a chip.

Pannonica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good idea, try the trap if needed. Well at least if she is taken in by someone they will prolly check for a chip.
It would really be the best phone call ever if I got a call from the pound to inform me that Nica was there. They already have her details and my number.

I also decided not to shower for the rest of the week. So she can smell me better :)
Might also start water fasting tomorrow. It's on my to-do list anyway.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would really be the best phone call ever if I got a call from the pound to inform me that Nica was there. They already have her details and my number.

I also decided not to shower for the rest of the week. So she can smell me better :)
Might also start water fasting tomorrow. It's on my to-do list anyway.
Good ideas… 🙏🏻 She turns up soon 🤗 I rescued someone’s lost cat who was outside for a month in freezing snow. He was eating with my colony and using the shelters. I saw he had a collar and then a tag. I got him inside and called his family. His mom, a teenager, was overjoyed and so was he. He was lost between his old and new house which we were in between, both close to us. Most cats who are lost if they are indoor cats don’t that go far away, they get scared and hide close by.

Last edited:

Pannonica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good ideas… 🙏🏻 She turns up soon 🤗 I rescued someone’s lost cat who was outside for a month in freezing snow. He was eating with my colony and using the shelters. I saw he had a collar and then a tag. I got him inside and called his family. His mom, a teenager, was overjoyed and so was he. He was lost between his old and new house which we were in between, both close to us. Most cats who are lost if they are indoor cats don’t that go far away, they get scared and hide close by.
Love your work

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone. Just joined this forum to seek some advice about my cat who has gone missing.

I moved to a farm recently (about a month ago) and my cat has been missing for about a week now. She went missing when I first arrived here and came back on the third day.

Unfortunately there are three undesexed tom cats on the farm who loiter about the house all day and night. There is a dominant one who has been following my cat around at night, with arched back and hair on end. My cat doesn't want a bar of it. The other two are okay, one tags along with the main tom cat and the other one keeps to himself and hides a lot.

There are two other workers on the farm who insist on keeping the cats, but refuse to feed them wet food/meat and won't let them inside. The owners have agreed to have them desexed this friday.

I've been camping outside a little away from the front of the house and up until a week ago my cat would typically come to the tent and meow to come inside for a bit, and I would also leave food/water out for her. But for the past week I haven't heard her and I've caught the main tom cat lurking around my tent, two nights in a row, trying to scab food. When I've gone out to look for her at night they follow me, and lately they seem to hang around the outer shed which is positioned at the entrance to the property, which makes me wonder if they have driven her away in that direction.

I've gained permission from the owners to put the two tom cats (not the shy one) in a shed overnight until they get desexed.

I plan on walking around at night as usual, looking/calling for her. It is generally a 2 hour walk to cover most of the property, going along the tree lines. Probably 4 hours if I were to go up and down all the grassy hills further afield. Have contacted neighbours about it as well who are not too far down the road.

I've been wondering however, if I should relocate my tent to somewhere else, further away from the house. Or should I keep it in the same spot?

I've been hearing the neighbour's dogs barking at night but not sure if they have always barked at night. Have only started pricking my ears up since she's been gone. The neighbours tell me there are foxes in the area so perhaps they are causing the comotion, but I also wonder if my cat is sheltering herself under a neighbour's house, and venturing out at night. I was thinking of setting up camp in a paddock between the neighbour's and the farm, hopong that she might recognise the tent and approach. I just fear that she might be too scared to come back and I can only put the tom cats inside at night for so long.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
How is this going?