Misha, My 14 Month Old Tabby, Climbs On Me Every Time My Phone Rings.

lifewith3cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's actually adorable. I'm not complaining. It always makes me laugh.

It doesn't matter if it's my landline phone or cell phone. All that has to happen is one of them ringing, and no matter where she is in the house, upstairs or downstairs, she will come running to my lap on the first ring!

What is going on? By the way, Misha has turned out to be a lap cat for the most part. She wants to take her long, luxurious afternoon naps on me, but I can't always make that happen for her, since I have more responsibilities than she can imagine. I think her behavior stems from me having her since she was 4 weeks old and feeding her with a syringe in those early weeks. She and I have a tight bond.. Oh, and when she lays on me it's always on my chest, against my neck.

Does anyone else's cat climb on them when the phone rings? I'd love to hear.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had several cats who absolutely hated ringing phones and learned to take the landline phone off the hook when it rang to make it stop.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lifewith3cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband and kids thinks it's about jealousy, that when Misha suddenly realizes I'm not able to focus my attention on her, she tries to get that attention back.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
She may simply love the sound of your voice and knows the ringing means you'll be talking. How does she react when you "have conversations" with her?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does she seem afraid when the phone rings? My Maggie is afraid of the phone ringing and storms, and comes running to me to protect her. These are really the only times that she likes to be held.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It might be a case of jealousy. My 18 month old female, when I talk to the neighbours, meets me at the door when I return to give me a stern talking too. I have to pat her until she's appeased, hilarious.