Misdirected Vet Anxiety, Or How My Cat Thinks The World Revolves Around Him

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
So we have had a few extra vet visits this year, new kitty Olive got checked out and Trin has been having some IBD related issues and has probably gone half a dozen times. All of these traumatic vet visits has taken quite a toll on Gohan, who literally didn't even go to the vet this year. :rolleyes:

I understand about cats not getting along after vet visits, hissing/growling or fighting. Or simple avoidance. But Gohan hears that distinct cat carrier zipper sound and he hides for hours (when it's his turn, that carrier will be out for weeks ahead of time lol). He walks around the house so slowly to hopefully avoid being abducted and experimented on. He's definitely our most sensitive kitty, especially when it comes to his territory. Any new object, be it a lamp or a chap stick, must be inspected and "mapped" upon entry. It's impossible to hide gifts, for he seeks them out and tips off the rest of the household.

So when that carrier comes out, he is no where to be seen. Olive had her yearly checkup yesterday, and he hid until evening under a bookcase. Then he slunk around and stared in shock. It was quite a toll on the little guy. Olive, on the other hand, actually went to the vet. She got 3 vaccines, a butt thermometer and they actually cleaned her teeth with a little dentist pick and after 20 minutes being home she was running around and purring. :bliss:

Cats are silly.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you give him some music? @tarasgirl06 has a great suggestion of kusc.org to help calm kitties.
I really feel badly for cats like your Gohan. My big guy is much like this. He is so scared at the vet that they can do anything with him, because he's so deeply frightened he melts into them. It just makes me feel awful and in his case, having the carrier out ahead of time, shall we say, isn't helpful LOL.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Gohan. I have a cat who reacted in a similar fashion. I started taking him to the vet for nothing. Just friendly visits. Yes, at first it was a nightmare but after a few times he decided he was the star of the show when we got there. He acted like he owned the place. The vet techs were great and played it up. Treats were provided and he became quite spoiled. The next time he needed a booster shot he was only slightly offended and then dominated the show again. It was a bit of effort in the beginning but it has saved us a lot of problems in the long run. Maybe Gohan would fall for that trick too! :petcat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Can you give him some music? @tarasgirl06 has a great suggestion of kusc.org to help calm kitties.
I really feel badly for cats like your Gohan. My big guy is much like this. He is so scared at the vet that they can do anything with him, because he's so deeply frightened he melts into them. It just makes me feel awful and in his case, having the carrier out ahead of time, shall we say, isn't helpful LOL.
We could try some music, that's a nice thought. Usually we just leave him under the bed, or bookcase, or his favorite hidey hole which is inside the dresser drawer and give him some quiet alone time so he starts to relax. In time he realizes it's ok to come out.

Poor Gohan. I have a cat who reacted in a similar fashion. I started taking him to the vet for nothing. Just friendly visits. Yes, at first it was a nightmare but after a few times he decided he was the star of the show when we got there. He acted like he owned the place. The vet techs were great and played it up. Treats were provided and he became quite spoiled. The next time he needed a booster shot he was only slightly offended and then dominated the show again.
Oh wow, what a superstar! That's a great idea. Not sure Gohan would fall for that. When he goes to the vet he turns into a stone and sits as a bread cat awaiting his fate. Doesn't give any trouble, but the poor guy sweats through his paws. We have moved apartments a few times and he stays in the carrier usually for hours before seeking out the darkest hiding spot. He would probably have to be at the vet for 6 hours for him to start to acclimate, lol. He's a very delicate soul.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The music is a great idea! ( I hear that harp music is often liked. Mine like soft classical. No rock and roll though! Lol)
Catnip in the carrier on a regular basis makes my cats see it as a great place to visit. I also use the carriers as House/ beds for them all the time so it is their safe haven. That makes any traveling feel safer to them. You might have to start with a new carrier for Gohan. Maybe one without a zipper?
There are scented products on the market that calm cats. Feliway is one. Furballsmom Furballsmom has some experience with calming products that I don’t know much about. How bout it furballsmom?

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
We use Feliway in the carrier for Trin - it definitely calms him down. He gets antsy from closed carriers (also the fool loves lounging in open ones) and he ends up rubbing his nose raw. Now we use feliway and open the carrier in the car to keep his nose intact (although this requires two people). He's a big cat, so we use an XL plastic dog carrier, which still makes Gohan freak out. I think once he sees it can be to abduct kitties, the ruse is over. If the carrier is left out, he does start lounging in it so we do that ahead of time to prepare.

Gohan even hides if the suitcases come out. Not as terrified as a carrier, but he knows this means our smells fade and scary cat sitters come over. He's actually gotten better over the years (the cat sitters now see him when they visit after a minute or two) but he's on to all our games, lol.

On a separate note, I tried using the "sleepy kitty" song one night from the Relax my Cat App. Only used it a few minutes and didn't notice any difference and then I stopped. The next day I was driving to work, and unexplainably chipper and upbeat for no reason. After 20 minutes of trying to figure out why I was so happy, I realized my car had connected with my phone Bluetooth and I had been listening to the soothing kitty music the whole time. So it even works on us humans, lol!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:)

There is Zylkene, Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.
Also Thunderease has diffusers.
Some people are having results with CBD oil - Lazaus Naturals is a source. If you decide to try this, just be sure you obtain CBD oil, and not hemp oil being sold as CBD.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
We have tried CBD oil (living near San Francisco), it seemed to help during 4th of July a little bit. We use Feliway sprays and wipes for the carriers and Trin uses a Sentry calming collar.

I haven't tried the Calm-o-mile, that's something I've seen you and others mention recently and I am pretty intrigued by it. I'll probably give that a shot next.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
so happy, I realized my car had connected with my phone Bluetooth and I had been listening to the soothing kitty music the whole time. So it even works on us humans, lol!

Hmmm, between us, we'll be having some reasonably calm kitties :thumbsup: .:cloud9: .:cool2:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let's see if the Wi Fi will let me do this! It seems to be a bit faster tonight. Chamomile tea, from commercial bags (I use Bigelow). Brew a cup, chill in the fridge, and administer via syringe. 1-3 teaspoonfuls (up to 3 TABLESPOONS full for LARGER cats) up to three times a day.