Mischievous pooping

Hold yer furry britches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat poops on my carpet. I've talked to the vet about it and we found no medical reason for it. He does have a cyst under his pancreas that causes nausea and inflammation but we've dealt with that with medication. Its not an unclean litterbox. He uses it daily, never urinates outside of the box, he does poop in it. Its just sometimes he does it either under my desk or behind my recliner. I think its a behavioral . This morning I didn't get out of bed right away when he woke me and I found turds in the living room. There was also some in the litter box. Behind my chair is a favored spot, what can I use to clean it good so he don't smell it. I tried a spray to stop urination but I guess feces is different. At least its solid and an easy clean up.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old is your cat? Any chance some of this 'behavior' could be tied to arthritis? Are his stools any more 'solid' when he does this than when he uses the litter box? As in, on the verge of constipation? Is the only time he does this is when he tries to wake you and you don't get out of bed? I only ask because you mentioned that in particular.

Nonetheless, give him a second litter box to see if that might help. It sounds like he poops in one or two specific areas? Ideally, place the extra litter box on or very near the location by the recliner/chair. Perhaps, under your desk you can place a plastic mat - with the 'nubs' up - a lot of cats don't like to walk on those nubs.

Not sure what you mean by using a spray to stop urination - one to deter a cat or one to clean the area? Most cleaning products for getting rid of urine odors do work on cat poop odors too.
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions – TheCatSite Articles
How To Remove Cat Urine – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hold yer furry britches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions.
He's about 16, no signs of arthritis, his stools are always solid, not sure about constipation as I never see him going and he goes mostly every day. I mention the waking me up because that was the situation this morning. Sometimes its when I refuse him treats or dont feed him when he thinks I should. Sometimes I think he's just like an onery child and acting out.
The spray I mentioned is something I got at walmart. After you clean the mess, its suppose to deter them from urinating there again.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions.
He's about 16, no signs of arthritis, his stools are always solid, not sure about constipation as I never see him going and he goes mostly every day. I mention the waking me up because that was the situation this morning. Sometimes its when I refuse him treats or dont feed him when he thinks I should. Sometimes I think he's just like an onery child and acting out.
The spray I mentioned is something I got at walmart. After you clean the mess, its suppose to deter them from urinating there again.
At 16 he's guaranteed to have arthritis. All super seniors do. It may just appear like muscle loss. You have to have 2-3 low-entry litter boxes for him so he has options. Being a super senior sometimes they can't get to the litter box in time. Some cats also have dementia (meowing late at night is a sign) so they forget where the litter box is. He's not pooping outside the litter box because he's mad at you. There's always a reason for it. Add at least one more litter box with litter that is soft on the paws and not too deep.
Check out this bio

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the litter box is covered, try removing the cover.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How many boxes do you have and where are they located? Any other pets? kids?

Some cats need to have one box for poop, and another for urine.

Any changes that correspond to whenever he stopped using the box for poop?