Mischief and Joe - Iguanas who crossed the bridge

thanatos0042

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there everyone.

I often post about the passing of my cats, but in my household I have a bird, a dog and 2 iguanas (well none now).

My last cat thread, which has links to the others:
Jynx

Today, we lost Joe, one of my roommates iguanas. It was a long while back we lost Mischief, who I wanted to make sure wasn't missed since they were a pair. While not my pets, they were part of our family and losing them is a great loss and very painful - especially for my dear roommate (Nanocyte). Nano doesn't have an account here, but I wanted to make sure...like with my beloved companions, they are recorded on the internet for as long as cache systems exist.

They were good iguanas. They lived in Nano's room with one of our cats, Elsa and all 3 got along pretty well. We have another cat named Bo (and I've posted about his weird issue) who would be in there with them sometimes too because the heat lamps kept the room very warm.

So today, Nano is heartbroken, having lost Joe, a 10 year old companion. Nano never quite got past Mischief either, so it brought all that back out. Our household is very sad and it even seems like Elsa has noticed Joe is missing.

So, I didn't have a lot of interaction with them, I would only pet them very rarely when Nano was there to make sure I wasn't bitten or tail whipped lol. But they seemed sweet and pretty docile over all. But when Nano was away I kept eyes on them and such and like any pet, you end up caring for them, even if they don't always show real affection back.

I remember during the Texas Freeze a year back that we had no power and Nano had them in bed, sharing body-heat with them to keep them warm. Nano's love for them is undisputable and I know they are going to be missed so much and for a very long time. I wish I had gotten to know them better. I can only wish Nano the best and hope they cross the bridge and find the rest of our family waiting for them there to show them the ropes and while they wait for us get to see them again in the future.

and hopefully Elsa can help Nano heal.

With love to you Nano, we know how much it hurts. We're all here for you.

Attachments

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry for your loss. IMO iguanas are quite misunderstood and underappreciated.

We've had several but the one who captured my heart's name was Kid. DH named him. He had so much personality. DH found a custom enclosure for him the newspaper classifieds (now you know it was years ago!) This enclosure was huge. He was about 6 feet from nose to tail. When he wanted out of his enclosure he'd bang on the glass. I would open the lid and he'd climb up and out. He loved to sit on top of the blinds in the kitchen next to the sliding glass door that led out to the balcony of the apartment. He'd stay up there for hours. I'd bring him fruit and veggies as snacks occasionally and he loved it. He only liked me much to DH's annoyance. I made his salads with his favorite foods and supplements. He did not like strangers at all. If someone came over when he was out, he'd climb up my side, sit on my shoulder and hide under my hair until they left. I don't think he was afraid, just annoyed that they invaded his turf. :lol:

I think they do cross the bridge just like any other beloved pet. Please give my condolences to Nano. Scaly friends are still friends. :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thanatos0042

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks for your condolences, I will pass this thread along to Nano.

Kat0121 Kat0121 - that is likely very true. I've never had a reptile and I know many people who don't really see them as pets. But that is an awesome story and goes to show you they can have personality and preferences just like other pets. And I too, believe they will cross the bridge and be there for you, once the energy of living beings is tied to another, animal or person, they always are.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As a vegetarian, I've always thought iguanas would be the perfect pet for me. But it's not something I've ever really looked into.

Mischief and Joe were adorable. Love that last pic of one on top of the other. RIP little fellows. Condolences to you and your roommate.