Mirtazapine

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long does it take for this to start working? I have a 6 month old kitten that did not eat yesterday and very little today. The vet prescribed the mirtazapine which he just started this afternoon. I still can't get him to eat. I force fed him a little a couple of times this afternoon. I'm very concerned about him.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Transdermal or pill? Transdermal took about 5-6 hours the first time I gave it to my cat. I’ve read that the pill takes a bit longer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's a pill.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's a pill.
Whenever i have to my cat the pill (1/4 tab) it works within 5-6 hours
Does the vet know why your kitten isnt eating?
Have u tried smelly foods like tuna?
Lickable bisques- delectables
Baby food
Even bits of deli lunch meat ?

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried the smelly foods like tuna. A bite is all he takes. They also gave me some Fussie Cat food to try. He took one sniff and that was it. He won't go near the stuff. Picked up some baby food and he doesn't like that either. This morning I gave him a little of his regular wet food. He ate a couple of bites but that's it. I had some bacon grease and I put a bit on but he didn't like that either.
This is a former feral kitten that is an outside cat. I've been letting him in the house on and off since I noticed he wasn't eating with the other cats when I feed them.
The vet isn't really any help. I did take him in 3 weeks ago for a URI. He was put on an antibiotic. He wasn't eating then either. After the antibiotic stopped his appetite improved and he was getting better until the other day. So it's up and down with him. This vet seems to lean more towards your household pets and not so much for outside cats. We live in a rural area where there are not many vets available.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had excellent responses with mirtazapine in both dogs and cats who were seriously ill, including some who were not able to last much longer. I am not saying that to depress you and am not saying that your cat is in that category. Try to have another visit or talk with the vet. It seems to me that if you are paying the bill it is not relevant if this is an indoor or outdoor cat; tell the vet this is your next household pet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Other than the eating part, is he exhibiting any other signs that correlate to his URI? It is possible that the antibiotics did not entirely clear up the URI and another round is needed. It is also possible that his URI was a secondary infection related to a virus he has (FIV, for example). Has he been tested for any viruses? If it were to be viral related, he may need to take some immune boosters to help minimize the effects of a virus, and help reduce flare ups that can lead to a URI.

Perhaps, the mirtazapine dosage may be too small?

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No signs of URI other than not eating.
I drove to a large city this afternoon and stopped in at the PetSmart store. Talked to a very knowledgeable associate regarding cats. I explained my situation and she made a couple of suggestions. One is a high calorie booster paste. That will give him the nutrients he is not getting cuz he is not eating. Also picked up a can of KMR. She also made a couple of suggestions on canned food. One is a venison pate. Also she suggested a pumpkin puree in case his tummy is bothering him.
Well I gave him the booster as soon as I got home. Opened the can of venison pate and he went right for it. Didn't eat a lot but it's a lot more than he had been eating. I put out a little KMR but he turned his nose up to that. Won't touch it.
Well I could not be happier. He's eating again and I hope he will eat a little more each time. Right now he is curled up taking a nap instead of pestering me and meowing constantly. :crossfingers:

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: He ate very little yesterday. Today he was given another dose of the mirtazapine. Must of worked this time. He is eating alot. Mostly wet food and some dry food. I'm still giving him the high calorie booster also. As he hasn't eaten much in awhile should I watch how much he eats now? He's constantly meowing for more food. I just don't want him getting ill from eating too much food in a short period of time. He only weighs 3 lbs. He has not gained any weight since he went in and got neutered in mid Dec.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have read loads of posts on this site about Mirtazapine causing cats to be constantly hungry - and, more vocal about it apparently! If you are concerned he is eating too much at one time, feed him less but more frequently. Considering his size, I hope he is on the lowest dose possible now that it is working.

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He gets 1/4 of a 15mg tab every 3 days. They only gave me 1 pill. I was able to split this into 4 with a pill cutter. Today he ate almost a 3 oz can of food total. He's also nibbled on some dry food and had a couple treats. This is the most food he's eaten in awhile. I noticed he seems to be getting a little stronger. Baby steps.