Mirror and cat

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there a consensus on whether cats pass the mirror test, i.e., recognize it's their reflection(all cats, no cats, or just some cats)?
Just in my experience all of my cats have recognized themselves or even me in the mirror. My Boogie used to like staring at me thru the mirror. Our new cat Nugget sleeps by a big mirror and look at me thru the mirror with his back turned to me as well. They never tried to interact with theirs nor my reflection in the mirror.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just in my experience all of my cats have recognized themselves or even me in the mirror. My Boogie used to like staring at me thru the mirror. Our new cat Nugget sleeps by a big mirror and look at me thru the mirror with his back turned to me as well. They never tried to interact with theirs nor my reflection in the mirror.
This has been my experience too, though I've only got one example to go by. It sure looks like my cat looks at me through the mirror. And she certainly doesn't act like she thinks it's another cat in there. But when I did a little googling, a lot of articles came up suggesting cats are not among the animals that pass the mirror test, or at least there's no clear evidence they are, which I thought was strange.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! Thank you for this. Sooo funny and cute. It immediately reminded me of the old comedy routine gag, “Mirror image”. Harpo Marx and Lucille Ball did one that had hand to hand imaging that came to mind with the paw on paw images here. No one could do it better than a cat!