Mirataz Sedation?

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 14 y/o was recently diagnosed with kidney disease. The vet prescribed Mirataz once a day. We have used it for about a week now. It has helped tremendously with his appetite, but he is soooo sleepy all the time. Has anyone else experienced that? I am leaving it off today to see if it makes a difference.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s not totally conclusive if it can cause lethargy in cats, but it may in a small percentage (though others will be lethargic because of their condition) Safety – Mirataz notice the small difference between medicated and placebo cats. Was he sleepy before you started administering the medication? Mirataz is definitely not something to stop cold-turkey, especially without talking to your vet, as it can cause more harm than good with his kidneys.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furrypurry

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, he was not sleepy before we started to use it. Just very low appetite. My vet had mentioned weaning him off of it after a week, so I am going to do every other day for a while. Of course, if he needs it we will continue to use it.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Miraraz is used as an antidepressant in humans and it can make you sleepy as heck so I wouldn’t be surprised if the same is true in cats! In fact they prescribe it to people who are depressed and have trouble sleeping...