Mirataz or other transdermals - ear cleaning??

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi all. Feeby has been receiving Miraraz every other day since 11/9, she gets 1/2 dose (0.75") each time. And, it has been working great, she has been eating better and even has gained some weight. That is, until the last 2-3 days. Her eating has dropped exponentially.

I asked about this on the CKD forum, and one member said that if I don't clean each ear in between applications, it will impact the effectiveness. She gets a treatment every other day, alternating between ears. (Left ear, next day none, right ear, next day none, repeat.)

The vet said if Feeby ears weren't irritated by the transdermal (they are not) and she is not scratching at her ears (she is not), then from her experience there is no reason to do a cleaning in between doses.

What all have you experienced? No cleaning of the ears is causing a reduction in effectiveness, or???

Thanks.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh shoot. I posted in the wrong thread. 🤦🏼‍♂️

But yes. With Krista, she had that ear surgery and so I was down to one ear to apply her transdermal pred. It did kind of cake in there. I kept wet wipes near and when she would climb on me for scritches, I did my best to sneak in a little cleaning between scritches. Or I would try to flake some off disguised as an ear massage. I don’t remember if Mirtaz left a similar residue. It does make sense that if there is a layer of old medicine, it’s going to impede the absorption of new medicine. It’s also possible that the Mirtaz itself is losing effectiveness over time. I encountered that with Krista too. Or maybe her underlying condition(s) were still greater than her mirtz munchies. 😿😔🤷🏼‍♂️

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn’t use Mirtaz very long with Krista. I found the pills were more effective and reliable even if they came with a wrestling match. A quarter pill every other day wasn’t too bad. And mirtz was always a bridge—something to get her to her next procedure or through her latest recovery. I don’t remember if we ever stuck with the Mirtaz long enough to run into this residue issue. But I do remember it with transdermal pred.

Dos Gatos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Echo was on Mirataz daily for a few months and now has it every few days. She is also on transdermal methimazole so lots of ear goop for her. The transdermals don’t seem to irritate her ears but I do notice the Mirataz does not seem to be quite as effective when I have slacked off on cleaning her ears for a while. I try to clean her ears with witch hazel on a cotton ball every other day and that appears to help. Even when her ears don’t look dirty, the cotton ball gets pretty gross after cleaning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dos Gatos Dos Gatos - thanks! I am going to start cleaning Feeby's ears to see if that makes a difference. I could find absolutely NO documentation to indicate such, but it is nice to hear that at least a few do support the theory. That is all it takes for me! It was nice not to have to 'bug' her ears every day since I am only giving her Mirataz every other day, but it is what it is. Got to get her back on track with eating - if this is what it takes, it is worth it!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A couple more people on the CKD forum seem to think NOT cleaning out the ears in between Mirataz doses can impact the effectiveness. So, I cleaned her ear yesterday with a wet cotton ball to get ready to apply another dose of Mirataz today. Here's hoping for good results!!

If this doesn't work, I might need to try something other than just water on the cotton ball. Other than witch hazel, what else could I use?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used pet wipes. But you could also use a cotton ball dipped in lukewarm chamomile tea with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar as a cleaning solution that is both soothing and antimicrobial.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you considered switching to oral tablets? My cat has been on it orally for years.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you considered switching to oral tablets? My cat has been on it orally for years.
I currently mix her thyroid meds twice a day into food or a treat. Right now, it is still the only thing she will take orally. She refuses food or treats if I mix her arthritis supplement or her D-Mannose in them. I am still trying to figure out how to get her to take those orally, so, not really wanting to add another oral med for her to reject. I will just stick with cleaning her ears and giving her the transdermal at this point.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have another question about the Mirataz - the tube says to discard after 30 days once opened. Is this necessary?

I opened Feeby's tube on 11/9 and more than half is left since I only give her a half dose every other day.

I guess this goes to Dos Gatos Dos Gatos , since no one else who responded would really know. Although, anyone else with experience with Mirataz is more than welcome to pipe in!!!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have another question about the Mirataz - the tube says to discard after 30 days once opened. Is this necessary?

I opened Feeby's tube on 11/9 and more than half is left since I only give her a half dose every other day.

I guess this goes to Dos Gatos Dos Gatos , since no one else who responded would really know. Although, anyone else with experience with Mirataz is more than welcome to pipe in!!!
I have zero experience with Mirataz but just for the future, maybe ask the vet if it's OK to use a sealed package to store it longer. I had a med like this that I split into sealed containers so they wouldn't get any air. They approve this method for some products but definitely not for all.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have zero experience with Mirataz but just for the future, maybe ask the vet if it's OK to use a sealed package to store it longer. I had a med like this that I split into sealed containers so they wouldn't get any air. They approve this method for some products but definitely not for all.
Good point! Not sure how to do that with a tube of what amounts to ointment that has to be measured out for each dosage...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The tube is closed with a screw top, so it must have something to do with the initial air exposure - which once the ointment would be transferred to another vehicle, it would still have been exposed. I don't get it, but that is all I can think of.