Miralax/lactulose

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know how long miralax and lactulose stay in the system? My cat had an enema on Friday and got 3 doses of lactulose(last one 5:30pm last night) and one dose of miralax(last dose 10:30am yesterday)since then. She has pooped four times starting last evening with a formed turd and a pudding like pancake. The last three have been the pudding flat pancake and not formed(last at 1:30pm today) Just wondering when the stools might start firming up again. Now I'm concerned about dehydration again. I'm trying to put more water in her wet food. She's not peeing a ton, three times so far today but nothing since 1:30 this afternoon. Anybody with experience with these meds any info. Thanks

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are supposed to just pass through the cat rather than being absorbed. If there is a motility issue, which there seems to be or you wouldn't be giving these medicines, then it will take as long as it takes. Sorry I can't be more specific.

You might need to give her some probiotics to restore her gut biome after all this loose stools. It is possible that you've stripped the beneficial bacteria (the gut microbiome) between the enema and the laxatives. The pudding poops may be a side effect of that rather than the laxatives sticking around too long. Ask your vet if there is a probiotic they recommend. I've had good success with Proviable which is something you buy from your vet. I would start at 1/2 or 1/4 of the recommended dose and work up slowly over several days as long as it is not making matters worse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, yes we think she got constipated due to getting a few doses of buprinorphine, stress, not eating, dehydration. She has never had problems with constipation in the past so I'm hoping this is a one time thing and her system will get back to normal. The vet just told me to stop the meds and try to get as much fluid into her as I can. She's perkier than she has been in a week, just concerned about the loose poop and dehydration but so happy at least it's moving!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's still loose in a day or two, ask your vet about a probiotic to restore the biome like Proviable.

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Sorry your cat had this after bup & other things! I hope its a one time thing for you, too!

Its hard to say how long it stays in the system, but I've seen lactulose work on my cat anywhere from 30 minutes to not really at all. (30 minutes based on - she hadn't pooped in 2 days and after giving lactulose she pooped within 30 mins. could be just a coincidence.) But she also has chronic constipation issues, so slightly different case.

Miralax I give once a day, but I am not sure how long it takes, either. I guess it would depend on the rate of stuff moving through the digestive system like daftcat75 said.

After an enema, it takes Amber at least 2-3 days for her stool to kind of go back to normal. I'd call your vet to check with them if you are worried.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She hasn't pooped since that cowpie poop yesterday afternoon. Now I'm worried again about getting backed up again. Vet told me to stop laxatives yesterday so last thing she got was on Sunday Evening. I'll just be happy when I see a somewhat normal.poop then I'll know that things are working. If she hasn't.pooped.by tomorrow I'll have to call the vet again. They told me by 2 days(from her last cowpie) I should.see another poop.