miralax dosing?

phoquee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello guys! i recently posted about my 9yr old feline who has an inoperable tumor making pooping hard. as of now she's pooping bigger pieces more often and eating, drinking, urinating just fine while seeming normal so she's not being put down yet. however she was on 2ml of lactulose and didn't enjoy that so i switched to miralax based off recommendations. how much miralax do i give her? i started her on 1/4 tsp but she's only a little under 5lbs so maybe that's too much? i just watched her use the bathroom and she had diarrhea. i mix it in with her wet food for breakfast and dinner.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
You may have to experiment a bit. I give Iris 1/8 tsp. in the morning and 1/8 tsp. in the evening (mixed with her wet food like you do). It makes her stool soft but formed. You might cut back to 1/8 tsp. a day and observe how it goes. You can increase from there as needed.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Start low at 1/8 teaspoon once a day. Bump it up to twice a day if nothing happens in a few days. If still nothing, you could increase to 1/4 teaspoon up to twice a day. Miralax takes a day maybe a little longer to work so have some patience.

Dissolve the Miralax in water first. Then mix it into canned food. Your cat won't notice it and the Miralax needs to be rehydrated before it is ingested so it won't pull water from the rest of the body which will likely just make the constipation worse.