Miralax dosing and response time

sophie2ellie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How much liquid do you use on a cat on a daily basis.  I don't know how much water to add

to the Miralax.  Thank you

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dissolve the Miralax into a tablespoon or so of water. Then add canned food to it and give it to your cat to eat. Some people like to add a little additional water to ensure that the cat is getting plenty of water.

janemulhall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The srynge works perfectly.  I am giving 1/8 teaspoon with water.  He goes every day, but they are still very hard, dry little marbles.  Must hurt.  How can I pump up the volume???

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
try adding water to his wet food; that will get more fluids into him.. or you could try 1/8 tsp in the morning and 1/8 in the night feeding.

brian-it-guy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you need more bulk in the stool you can try Royal Canin Gastro-Intestinal Formula dry food. It really helps with the texture and form of their poo. I believe you need a vet prescription to get this now. ((You can circumvent that by going online to chewy.com. They have it for sale there and I've read several comments where people have ordered that food but they chewy people did not contact their vet for an OK. They also have great shipping time and are super friendly!)) My girl is dealing with chronic constipation and the Royal Canin has helped the last few years. Her stools went from hard little marbles to well, a solid single well-formed poo whenever she goes. (It actually looks like the same form as a human poo. Sorry for the TMI) The larger size is easier for her to pass since it's softer overall than the hard marbles were. Good luck!

janemulhall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the description.  I have that problem with my boy.  I've been giving Miralax, which helped a little.  But, still hard marble like dry little balls.  I will try the Royal Canine.  Do you have a suggestion for wet food?  And, do you free feed???

spazzie933

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

How much liquid do you use on a cat on a daily basis.  I don't know how much water to add

to the Miralax.  Thank you
My cat also suffers from chronic constipation. I live in Canada, Miralax goes by Restoralax and is exactly the same. He gets 1/4 tsp. twice daily and I mix it in chicken with broth baby food, about 1tbsp for each dose. It must be dissolved in liquid of some kind not just sprinkled or mixed in their food. I found a diet of low residue wet food works for my boy. High fiber was plugging him up. Wellness is a good brand, grain free and no dry except for 2 treats per day !

sophie2ellie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much....I have also found that taking away the cereal treaters during an extreme case of constipation resullts

in a bit looser stools with or without the miralax....  The treaters, without the Miralax , was like concrete in Moonbeams colon.

Before I started with the Miralax, She cried so loud, I quick hopped in the shower to take her to the vet,

and by the time I got out of the tub, she had pooped

in my bed.  I am not going to describe it to you, but it was 3 piles high.  She slept the rest of the day...

I called my vet this week to have her be looked at, and when the vet asked me what I was giving her,

I replied 1/4 Miralax and she said, " Stop giving her that, that where all the problems are".

I am now looking for a new vet.

Mom of Moonbeam

janemulhall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I mix a 1/4 teaspoon of Miralax with a 1/4 teaspoon of warm water and put it in a srynge.

Got an ok response.  I also use pumpkin and extra water on the wet food.  Now I'm using something I found in my cabinet that I didn't know I had- it was a liquid salmon type oil.  I got a huge poop today.  If it continues to work, I will get out the name.  It worked overnight.

mrbreezeet1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How are you giving them the miralax? just mixing it with her canned food, and a little water?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

How are you giving them the miralax? just mixing it with her canned food, and a little water?
See my post above for the correct way to give Miralax to a cat:

Dissolve the Miralax into a tablespoon or so of water. Then add canned food to it and give it to your cat to eat. Some people like to add a little additional water to ensure that the cat is getting plenty of water.
How much Miralax to use depends on the cat and the reason why it's needed. A typical dose is anywhere from 1/8 teaspoon to 1/4 teaspoon once or twice a day. You should ask the vet for the proper dosage for your cat.

Last edited:

mrbreezeet1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

try adding water to his wet food; that will get more fluids into him.. or you could try 1/8 tsp in the morning and 1/8 in the night feeding.
I always mix a little water in with Cleopatra's wet (canned food) 
I make it about like oatmeal.

mrbreezeet1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

See my post above for the correct way to give Miralax to a cat:

How much Miralax to use depends on the cat and the reason why it's needed. A typical dose is anywhere from 1/8 teaspoon to 1/4 teaspoon once or twice a day. You should ask the vet for the proper dosage for your cat.
That sounds good, thank you.

rick kuwahara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to thank this forum for helping my cat with the miralax.

I give him 1/4 teaspoon mixed with water, and give it to him orally with a syringe every other day.

It has been the best dosage for him.

brian-it-guy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think Royal Canin also makes a wet food. The main thing in their food is fiber. And it's a healthy mix of all the other stuff they need. I don't feed my girl wet food as she turns her nose up at it lol. She only likes her dry food. I usually put about 3/4 cup per day in her bowl and she eats when she wants to. (She rarely empties her bowl btw) I found Royal Canin also makes treats and we just tried those, but I'm not impressed. In case I didn't mention the dry food formula it's their "Gastro-Intestinal Fiber Response" one. And again, I found the price on chewy.com to be better than what my vet's office sold it to me for so I switched to ordering from there. Good luck!

sophie2ellie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am replying to myself, Moonbeam stayed on her Miralax from Christmas until yesterday and very little trouble was noticed.

Yesterday she had an explosion of feces, water and food while bolting down the hallway. 

She was so scared, I could have cried.

From what I have read, there is a possibility of MegaColon I will have to consider.

And the MegaColon treatments don't sound like a lot of fun either....

Thank you

MEM

katherine cobb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, I saw on another post that Moonbeam has passed.  I'm so sorry.

I'm glad I found this conversation because I'm having issues with my Betsy Jo and constipation since December.  She had lost 4-5 pounds and stopped eating her wet food.  She started crying and had what I thought was diarrhea.   X-rays at the emergency vet proved constipation. We got the first blockage out with subq fluids and lactulose.  At the end of January it was back.  I took her to my regular vet for more x-rays and an enema.  The vet was concerned about a blockage or perhaps cancer.  The internist did an ultrasound, found nothing of note, except a possible issue with lymph nodes?  (I don't have the paperwork with me) but she said that could also have been elevated due to the enema and general trauma the area was experiencing.  She had me start Miralax to see if that worked.  The appointment was Monday and by Friday night Betsy Jo had an epic poop that cleared her out.  But now, about 3 weeks later, she is straining, howling, and leaking poop droplets after dinner.

The vet has me give her 1/8 tsp Miralax twice a day with canned food.  I am not sure what to do next.  I do wonder if I have not been getting the Miralax mixed up enough in her food, as I didn't know to mix it with water first.  Could that be it?  I will start doing that with tonight's feeding.  I maxed out my credit cards taking care of these issues up until now, and I will have to find more funds to take her back to the vet, but if there is anything I can do in the meantime to see what the issue is, I would love the advice.  

janemulhall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found that if I put the Miralax in a srynge with a 1/4 teas of water and put it directly into my cat's mouth, I could determine the exact amount he was getting.  I did it 2x a day and his poop was somewhat better.  But, then I switched to  the Royal Canin Gastrointestinal dry and wet food and the difference in his pooh was incredible!  The Royal Canin requires a vet script.  I had all the same stuff done to my cat as you mentioned, so I just called the vet and requested it over the phone as a last resort.  It is expensive, but to not hear my cat cry at the cat box is worth every penny!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

The vet has me give her 1/8 tsp Miralax twice a day with canned food.  I am not sure what to do next.  I do wonder if I have not been getting the Miralax mixed up enough in her food, as I didn't know to mix it with water first.  Could that be it?  I will start doing that with tonight's feeding.
Possibly. Miralax that isn't dissolved in water before ingestion will absorb a lot of water from inside the body which can make constipation even worse and cause dehdyration. Always dissolve Miralax in some water first and then mix it into food. Vets often don't know this.

janemulhall

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, with the Miralax if you don't get results with that dose, increase it a little every day until you get what you want.  good luck!