Miralax and amitriptyline

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I just got a prescription for amytriptylline for my cat for stress induced cystitis. I had read constipation can be a side effect and my cat had an episode of constipation after buprinorphone that was horrible and she had to have enemas. I'm so scared this med will.give her constipation. I asked the vet about it and he had said I could give miralax 1/8 tsp twice a day to help prevent problems. So I started the medication last night and had given her 1/8 tsp.of miralax earlier in the evening. This morning she had a small poop and it looks looked like it could be really soft as it was flattened. I don't know if she stepped on it or what. Also I noticed poo on her fur that she was rubbing on the carpet trying to get off so it must have been somewhat looser. My question is do I continue the miralax twice daily. I don't know that the medication has had enough time to even cause issues because I just gave the first dose. The other thing that makes it more complicated is she was on high fiber food.before after the one episode and we are wearing down her dry food to feed her more wet so her poos are much smaller now due to that. Don't want to give her diarrhea but also.really don't want constipation! Thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Maybe try 1/8 tsp of Miralax just once a day, or even every other day, until the amitriptyline has had more time to build up in her system?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible the miralax made things softer. I would go to 1/8 tsp once a day and let her get used to it. Use the poops as a guide before increasing (or possibly decreasing) dose and/or frequency. Softer is okay for a day or two. Changes will do that. You'll know when it's too soft.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Maybe try 1/8 tsp of Miralax just once a day, or even every other day, until the amitriptyline has had more time to build up in her system?
I'm.going to try the once daily and see how that goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's possible the miralax made things softer. I would go to 1/8 tsp once a day and let her get used to it. Use the poops as a guide before increasing (or possibly decreasing) dose and/or frequency. Softer is okay for a day or two. Changes will do that. You'll know when it's too soft.
So she has been scooting her butt that last few days. I'm questioning whether it's anal gland because her poops aren't quite her normal right now. Her poops have been once daily and formed but on the softer side than normal. She did have two poops today one was softer the other was normal. Before we started switching her foods around she was going twice a day and they were big poops but she was mostly on a dry high fiber royal canin food. Now we are trying to get more wet food several times a day and just giving her dry food at night and as a topper (a mix of the high fiber dry and hills urine stress dry) so she isn't getting as much of the high fiber dry food. I called the vet they said I could put neosporin with hydrocortisone on her butt and decrease the miralax. Do I do.every other day 1/8 tsp or still.do.once a day and half the 1/8 tsp.dose? Trying to find the right combo so don't have to worry about constipation with the amitriptyline but also not have her rubbing her butt when they aren't quite normal.

trishc59

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use Miralax we had 3 kitties the Mommy cat and her son and daughter I have used Miralax especially as they got older. Momma and her son are no longer with us they passed on at the age of 15, our Patina will be 16 next month and she get and 1/8 of tsp each day, and she is now on fluids each day to help with her kidneys, she is a bundle of fur joy we adore her and hopefully she will do us the honor of staying with us for sometime to come.