Minnie keeps puking..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who lived to be almost 20, and never ate anything but Whiskas dry food! Here's my advice...read good articles about cat feeding (there are some here), read labels, then buy the best food you can afford and still manage other areas of care. But a very wise person once told me, "The very best cat food is the one that your cat will actually eat." My current cat will ONLY eat Little Friskies dry. I've spent HUNDREDS of dollars trying to get her onto something better, to no avail. But she is almost twelve years old, and aside from a tendency to eat too many Temptations and gain weight, she is in purrfect health! Now, if your cat has some food allergies, you're going to REALLY have to read those labels, but no...you did not cause this. Even if it was a food reaction, YOU DID NOT CAUSE IT, HER BODY'S REACTION TO THAT FOOD, which you could not know, caused it. And any cat can be sensitive to any food, so take those reviews with a grain of salt. If there are 100 bad reviews, there are probably 100,000 cats who eat it just fine.
I'm intolerant to some foods too too , gluten and lactose.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, there you go. Cats are just the same. And nobody's mother, no matter how many legs they have, can be expected to know that until the child, no matter how many legs, eats one of those foods!

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I bet if you gave that cat my gastrointestinal food the puking and diarrhea would go away....

Allie was being given new food she loved but would have loose stools, but i kept giving it to her for a month until she started having really bad diarrhea. Then $500 dollars later she eats olivers food mixed with limited ingredient food and wallah cured

I found out most dry foods she cannot tolerate but some she does fine on, so far when giving blue buffalo limited ingredient no diarrhea

Maybe shes intolerant to the food, just a guess

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She puke some times , but she didn't puke this morning when i fed her .
But she did tonight.. Am i being rude or something..too...? Am i not caring for her properly , and thats why she's puking/?

Though certainly not normal this is a common issue for cats. You didn't do anything wrong, she just needs to be seen by a vet.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's been drinking a little less than normal , pooping 1-2 times a day but very small poops, and playing with albus quite a bit . ]
I feed wet and a tiny bit of dry , but someone told me its bad for them so i am planning on changing it to justwet .
The flavours are turkey , beef , lamb , tuna and duck .
And the dry is chicken flavour
That's quite a variety there.

Beef and lamb are red meats. Not all cats handle red meat well.

Duck is richer than turkey and chicken and can also overwhelm a sensitive stomach.

Can you reduce to just turkey and see if the puking stops? If so, you can try to add one more back, one at a time, to see which one isn't agreeing with her.

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Duck is richer than turkey and chicken and can also overwhelm a sensitive stomach.

Can you reduce to just turkey and see if the puking stops? If so, you can try to add one more back, one at a time, to see which one isn't agreeing with her.
[/QUOTE]
Alright!

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

It's a variety pick of applaws , i can go pick up some turkey tommorow , because i only have 1 tin left

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Couldn't find any more turkey cat food for that brand .

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
only turkey and beef

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
only turkey and beef

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
only turkey and beef
It makes it a little harder to narrow it down when there are two different protein sources in the food. I don't normally recommend fish foods because they are addictive to cats. For that reason, they are best reserved as emergency foods. Fish is that appealing that it often cuts through hunger strikes when the cat isn't feeling like eating anything else. For that reason, it also makes for a good "medicine meal" when you need to hide medicine in a small amount of food. When you feed fish regularly, you lose this "nuclear option". That said, out of your choices, I might choose tuna over duck over red meat for narrowing down a sensitive stomach. At least, in the short-term, you might be able to stabilize her. As resilient as cats are, chronic vomiting is never good for any cat.

You may also want to poach a little chicken in water, no salt or other seasonings, and feed that for a few days to a week to see if that stops the vomiting. Poached chicken, itself, isn't a complete cat food. It shouldn't be fed for more than a week. It can be made complete with several different supplement premixes. But for the short-term, it can be helpful in stopping the vomiting. Then you can try to slowly mix in one food to see if it agrees with her. I would try no more than one new food per week.

Food trials or food rotations, if done too hastily or erratically, can become a source of stomach upset. What you might think as variety can be difficult on a cat who would normally fixate on one or two protein sources (small rodents and/or small birds) in the wild.

Last edited:

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sometimes the cheaper crappier food helps more, it did with mines, the expensive foods made them both meh.....

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Canifyou contact the place you adopted him from to ask if he was having issues there, has he been wormed?. Does he eating large amounts or eat fast? As you have a vets visit today I would make a list of what has been happening for the visit, I often get brain freeze when I take mine and forget to tell him something that could be important. Let us know what the vet said and if you need food recommendations for sensitive tummies I know a few.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem with my Oliver wasn't puking but runny poos. He was diagnosed with pancreatitis and was put on Hill's prescription id dry food. That sorted his poos out.
Hill's do a few different foods for various disorders so it may be worth investigating for yours.
I get mine from Zooplus.
Here's a link to Hill's.

Cat Digestive Conditions | Hill's Pet

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The problem with my Oliver wasn't puking but runny poos. He was diagnosed with pancreatitis and was put on Hill's prescription id dry food. That sorted his poos out.
Hill's do a few different foods for various disorders so it may be worth investigating for yours.
I get mine from Zooplus.
Here's a link to Hill's.

Cat Digestive Conditions | Hill's Pet
She's going to the vet at 1.30 , so i have to leave soon ( it's a half an hour drive )
Should i feed her now , or leave it ??

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It makes it a little harder to narrow it down when there are two different protein sources in the food. I don't normally recommend fish foods because they are addictive to cats. For that reason, they are best reserved as emergency foods. Fish is that appealing that it often cuts through hunger strikes when the cat isn't feeling like eating anything else. For that reason, it also makes for a good "medicine meal" when you need to hide medicine in a small amount of food. When you feed fish regularly, you lose this "nuclear option". That said, out of your choices, I might choose tuna over duck over red meat for narrowing down a sensitive stomach. At least, in the short-term, you might be able to stabilize her. As resilient as cats are, chronic vomiting is never good for any cat.

You may also want to poach a little chicken in water, no salt or other seasonings, and feed that for a few days to a week to see if that stops the vomiting. Poached chicken, itself, isn't a complete cat food. It shouldn't be fed for more than a week. It can be made complete with several different supplement premixes. But for the short-term, it can be helpful in stopping the vomiting. Then you can try to slowly mix in one food to see if it agrees with her. I would try no more than one new food per week.

Food trials or food rotations, if done too hastily or erratically, can become a source of stomach upset. What you might think as variety can be difficult on a cat who would normally fixate on one or two protein sources (small rodents and/or small birds) in the wild.
I only feed a variety as she won't eat the same one everyday

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldnt feed her now, the stress of the vets visit or journey may upset her
Okay , took her to the vet , she's just got back .
So , they took some tests , poo sample , and a regular health check .
When should i feed her next??
She seems alright right now , i also picked up some turkey , food for her , and albus some food too .
She's just playing with albus.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Offer her a little bit of food, if she eats it and wants more give it to her. I would feed her little and often until the results come back. A little at a time may be easier for her to digest.