Mini's Story (TW)

inediblepeaches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If anyone here has read my posts, you'll know I had 10 cats.

I now have nine.

They were a result of overbreeding from my in-laws, and while they're a lot of work and expense, they are one of the biggest lights in my life with their quirky personalities and hi-jinx.

One kitten who never got adopted was Mini. Her failed adopter told us she was too loud at night, crying and meowing. She was returned to us promptly, and she fell silent and snuggled up with our other cats. Mini was home, and I wasn't too upset that her adoption fell through.

Last week, I noticed she wasn't eating. She wasn't her usual vocal self - she would normally meow at you on sight and insist on belly rubs. She was quiet, subdued and hiding. She wasn't eating. My Mini wasn't herself. I got her some wet food she wouldn't touch. Strange, but she was in heat and maybe it was that. She was breathing fast, s- we took her to the emergency vet. They told us to bring her to our regular vet once morning came.

I put her on the floor of my room, hoping she could get some sleep. She jumped up, of her own accord, to give me a cuddle. She stayed cuddled up till morning came.

Our regular vet ran a litany of tests, x rays, and other things. Pyothorax. She'd need to be hospitalised. We couldn't afford it. The vet drained the fluid, and we were to monitor her for the rest of the week, giving her antibiotics and syringe feeding her to give her strength. Within an hour of getting her home, Mini was gone. My sweet, noisy baby was just gone. She was struggling for breath, trying to find a place to hide. She died terrified, gasping for air, and if I had just kept her hospitalised, if we could afford it, I don't know if this would have happened.

I miss her. Sometimes I catch glimpses of her mum - who looks just like her. For a second, just a spit second, I think it's Mini. I search for her stubby little tail, her little spots on her paws I kept thinking was dirt. It's not, of course. She was inquisitive, adorable, not a mean bone in her body. She needed me and I failed her, and it's so unfair. She was barely a year old. My sweet baby who just wanted to be close to me, and now she's gone.

I love you Mini. I hope I will see you in the hereafter. I hope kitty heaven is full of disgusting roaches for you to chase, and the stinkiest cat food you love so much. I hope there's lots of other kitties for you to snuggle up with, because I know you don't like sleeping all by yourself. Be a good girl till I can come get you.

Attachments

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so glad this baby was returned to you It’s plain to see from the way you write about her she was loved greatly by you And of course she knew that.I am so sorry for your loss She was here such a short time But how wonderful it was such a loved time.It can be so hard to accept such a deep loss But there are times in our life that nothing we do or do not do can change what is to happen I hope with time the hurt will transform into a beautiful memory of the time you had together and the gift of love you gave each other You will both be in my thoughts

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't blame yourself for her death. Pyothorax does not have a good survival rate and the treatment for it is draining the fluid and administering antibiotics, you really did all you could......
Guilt is always present when a beloved one dies, it is a part of the grieving process. It is because we are not perfect. There is ALWAYS something we do or say to make us feel that way. Guilt arises when there is the intention to do wrong. You had no intent, you only loved her. Sometimes bad things happen to good people and loved ones, and we will never know why....
The bond you built with that sweet girl will be with you forever because it is spiritual. I think it was fate that brought her back to you, to be surrounded by her loved ones when her time came. She died at home surrounded by that love, she is at peace.
It hurts, and you will never get over it, you learn to live with it. But eventually, in time, time will soften the sharp edges and you will think more and more of the good times because there were so many more of them than the bad. She would never want you to feel so sad, as you would want for her if you were the first to go, so she wants for you. To live your life in happiness and seek its wonders, not shut your heart and spend time in despair and sadness.
She will always be as close as your thoughts and prayers. She shared your life's journey for a while, and now though she follows a new path, it will always be intertwined with yours.
my thoughts and prayers are with you all, take care of that wonderful family, and yourself, you need each other even more now.....RIP dear Mini. You will be dearly missed, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm terribly sorry for the sudden loss of your Mini. She left you way too early, this is so unfair.
I can't deny I had teras in my eyes when I was reding your post. It's such a sad story, and the bond between you and Mini is clearly visible in your words, you were meant to be together, and the failed adoption was the sign that you couldn't be parted.
You did the best you could, like all of us when it comes to treating sick cats, but too often something prevents us from going on till the end, or something else palys a trick on us even when things seem to be going the right way.
Mini was with you when she left, and this is what counts. She could have been in a cold and scary room of a vet, this wouldn't be fine for none of you.
Mini is on her soft cloud up there, she's saying hallo and thank you for what yo have done for her.
One day you'll be together, never to be parted again.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Condolences on losing your precious, sweet princess Mini. She was such a pretty cat and left this earthly realm much too soon, in what should have been the best part of life. You did more for her than many other rescuers can afford so please rest easy knowing that you did your best.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Aw, sweet Mini. As others have said, you did everything you could and there's no knowing if more treatment would have changed the outcome. I know it's easier said than done, but please try to not blame yourself. :hugs: Rest in peace, Mini. :rbheart: