Milk!

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I was a kid back in the 60s, giving your cat a bowl of milk was de rigeur... very accepted and most everyone did it.   I remember spending many times watching the cats of my childhood happily lap up a full bowl of milk and walk away satisfied.  Giving them water was unheard of.   They never developed problems from it and lived to about 20.

Well at some point that all changed...not sure why.   I suspect it came with the introduction of dry kibble which says on the bag to always have water available.

Well Cats do not like standing water!!   Either they cannot see it, cannot smell it, or both.    They like milk.

Well about 10 years ago, I used to make the mistake of feeding my cats kibble along with the prescribed dish of water.   Both of my males nearly died from urinary blockage.   My female developed kidney problems at the age of only 10.   The female succumbed but thankfully both the males are alive and well today though my wallet is $10,000 lighter from all the emergency hospital bills.

I no longer will feed kibble, but I am wondering had I given milk instead of water would those problems have developed.   Their liquid intake would most certainly have been higher.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Milk could well have caused other issues, given that cats are lactose intolerant. It could also have unbalanced their diet as a whole, potentially causing other problems.

The main reason your cats didn't drink much water is simply that they have evolved to have very low thirst drives. Without extra encouragement, a cat simply won't drink enough to compensate for an all kibble diet. Homemade flavoured waters (such as liquid plain chicken was poached in) are usually eagerly lapped up. Water fountains make a big difference too - you're absolutely right that most cats don't like standing water, but running water is a different matter.

I'm so sorry you lost you girl, and that the boys got so sick. Try not to torture yourself with 'if onlys'. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but can also be very cruel :hugs: