Milk Of Magnesia For Constipation

justjoe906

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 indoor/outdoor cats that went to the vet a couple of days ago because they quit using the litter box.
They are not going in the house and I was concerned they were plugged up. She assured me they were not plugged up and probably just quit going inside and holding it until they go outside.
Even though that is such a huge change in their habit I assumed she was right. Up to this point using the litter boxes has never been an issue. I keep them cleaned and haven't moved them at all. Puzzling.
I noticed one trying to poop in the litter box today and struggling with very little coming out. I am still concerned that it might be a medical issue but perhaps it's just constipation at this point.
Called the vet and was told to give them 1/2 teaspoon full of Milk of Magnesia per the bottle instructions.
Both cats are 1 year old males and eat both dry and canned food with extra water added to the canned.
Looking on the internet several others have tried pumpkin.
Any suggestions is appreciated.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are you feeding them? Canned or dry? I feed all my kitties pumpkin. I wouldn't give MOM or Miralax unless you were really dealing with constipation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

justjoe906

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They eat both dry and wet food.Friskies canned and Purina Cat Naturals Dry.
I have recently tried Blue Buffalo Grain Free Chicken and Instinct Chicken, Canned and Dry and also various canned flavor of both brands. They would not touch either, huge waste of money.
They've always been picky eaters.

Lalka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why do you send them outside? It would be easier to see if there is a litter problem is they stayed inside all the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

justjoe906

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They haven't used the litter box for days at a time. Today one tried and is definitely constipated. The vet suggested giving both 1/2 teaspoon to see if it helps.