miliary dermatitis

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor Jasper.  He's the most needy cat I've ever had.  He's had this skin condition for quite some time.  We got fed up with him just looking so miserable and scratching all the time (and having these bumps all over his butt) that I took him in yesterday to the vet.  This is what she said he had- and from the internet searches I've done, it's just a symptom of something else wrong. 

He had it over the summer so we were giving him flea preventative, and that seemed to help.  Most of the bumps are on his rear and tail.  And I saw a flea crawling on him (so him and the other 2 cats in the house got flea prevention)- vet said quite possibly it could be from fleas.  And then I read that just 1 flea bite can cause a severe reaction- if the cat has that bad of an allergy.  

He's still kind of biting and scratching himself.  Not nearly as bad as yesterday.  Vet gave him a cortosone shot and an antibiotic shot.  Then as I said- I got him with flea preventative (and only that- I was using the stuff that takes care of other parasites but she said that the more "stuff" you put in there, the less effective the flea medicine is)

Any advice on possibly a food change?  It's got to be something that the other 2 cats (1 with hyperthyroidism- SIGH) can nibble on b/c they all eat out of each others bowls. I'm going to keep feeding what I've been feeding- but if the skin problem continues with consistant flea monitoring, food change would be the next step.

Cheyrl 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry Jasper is +having a hard time of it with this Miliary Dermatitis, but at least he now has a diagnosis and is a little better after the two shots.  I'm not sure I understand why you think this is a symptom of something else?  From what I've read on it, this IS normally caused from flea bites, and you said yourself that you've been treating Jasper for fleas after seeing one on him.  Also, did your Vet recommend a specific flea preventative for you to use?  Are you still having flea issues?  As far as food allergies, gosh there are so many things he could be allergic to.  If you haven't already, you might want to post another thread under "nutrition" to see what kind of replies you get there.

that your boy feels better soon!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, Sneakymom!

If you do decide you want to make a food change and you're currently feeding kibble, I would recommend a switch to a rotation of three or more grain-free canned products (see CatInfo.org, Feline-Nutrition.org and LittleBigCat.org for additional info).

If you're feeding canned, I'd again recommend a switch to the rotation of grain-free canned. If, however, you're already on grain-free canned, I'd recommend you go to a rotation of raw (like Rad Cat, Feline's Pride and Nature's Variety Instinct). Canned is easier to digest than kibble, and raw easier than canned, and they contain, generally-speaking, fewer potentially problematical additives in the same order.

Rotating foods will keep Jester from becoming fixated on any one product (a problem if they change or stop producing it) and protect him from potential quality control issues by diluting their impact. Since cats can develop hypersensitivity when continually exposed to the same proteins or ingredients for extended periods, it will also help prevent food intolerance issues (and the associated diarrhea and vomiting).

Dr. Hofve (LittleBigCat) has a great article with even more reasons for rotating foods: Switching Foods.

Best regards!

AC