Mildly elevated kidney level in Sylvester, vet not too concerned but I am

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my baby boy Sylvester to the vet yesterday for his twice a year checkup and grooming (what fun that was!) and he hadn't had bloodwork done in 3 years so I told them to do it. Today the vet left a message saying overall it was good, she is happy with the results but there was one kidney function that was mildy elevated, she said they could look at it again in 6 months when we go through this again but she said it isn't necessary to do anything about it, but I called and left her a message to please explain to me exactly what it is that she is talking about and if there is a reason for the elevation? I know there are many supportive supplements and all to give them for the kidneys, but I don't want to rush into anything, they all already get multivitamins and fish oil so I will wait to hear back from her on exactly what this is, but any input would be greatly appreciated, he is very healthy and doing just fine but I want to keep him that way!

Thank you!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If only one value was elevated, it very well may be due to dehydration, stress, etc, and that's why your Vet isn't worried. I have had three cats who've had kidney disease, so am very paranoid about this, and my current cats get their blood tested every six months because they are seniors (and because I am paranoid :rolleyes2:) There have been times when one value has been on the high side, but then in six months, they are back to normal. I have finally learned not to worry until our Vet tells me to, and this is the same Vet who has treated all our kidney cats, so I trust her.

Of course, when your Vet calls back you can ask if kidney supplements would be helpful, but I'm guessing they will say "not necessary".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
If only one value was elevated, it very well may be due to dehydration, stress, etc, and that's why your Vet isn't worried. I have had three cats who've had kidney disease, so am very paranoid about this, and my current cats get their blood tested every six months because they are seniors (and because I am paranoid :rolleyes2:) There have been times when one value has been on the high side, but then in six months, they are back to normal. I have finally learned not to worry until our Vet tells me to, and this is the same Vet who has treated all our kidney cats, so I trust her.

Of course, when your Vet calls back you can ask if kidney supplements would be helpful, but I'm guessing they will say "not necessary".
Thanks very much for this! I did some research and saw several times about dehydration and also thought about stress and that morning we had to chase him around the house as he kept hiding from us, we finally got him to where he "gave up" and I could catch him after about 20 minutes but he most defintiely was stressed and so was I, my kidney levels must've been high too lol! Plus if he didn't drink much or at all that night before and the next morning because of fasting would do it too. And she said it was only "mildly" elevated.

I will talk to them when they call but I am not too concerned after knowing all of this, but I surely want to keep on top of it.

Thank you for the reply!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Of the typical kidney elements - BUN is usually one that is most affected by dehydration and/or stress.

Do yourself a favor and ask the vet to email you a copy of the test results, so you can take a look at them directly and become familiar with all the elements that are tested. It probably wouldn't hurt to get a copy of the results from 3 years ago too. And, of course, all future tests.

Feeby (~17 yo) gets semi-annual blood work, and I get copies of the results sent to me - and, then I chart them for comparison. She has had several elements that have changed consistently upward, but still within range. I think a lot of vets don't pay much attention to the trending aspect unless they are looking for something specific. So, by me looking at the changes, I can show the chart to the vet and ask if there is anything 'noteworthy'.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
Of the typical kidney elements - BUN is usually one that is most affected by dehydration and/or stress.

Do yourself a favor and ask the vet to email you a copy of the test results, so you can take a look at them directly and become familiar with all the elements that are tested. It probably wouldn't hurt to get a copy of the results from 3 years ago too. And, of course, all future tests.

Feeby (~17 yo) gets semi-annual blood work, and I get copies of the results sent to me - and, then I chart them for comparison. She has had several elements that have changed consistently upward, but still within range. I think a lot of vets don't pay much attention to the trending aspect unless they are looking for something specific. So, by me looking at the changes, I can show the chart to the vet and ask if there is anything 'noteworthy'.
Great idea! And this is a different vet than from 3 years ago, same practice but one of several other vets.

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
We just got home and the vet had left a message and she said that his SDMA level was very mildly elevated, she said this is the first area that they see elevation in and that the other levels were perfectly normal. She said it wasn't much but she would like to check it again in 6 months when we have to wrestle with him to bring him in again, I can hardly wait! :runaround: :help: :clapcat:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One of my current cats had raised SDMA once and of course I started panicking, but at his recheck it was back down within normal range. That was a couple years ago and all his kidney values have stayed within normal range ever since, including SDMA so I'm just not sure what to think.