Mild phase (stage 2) CKD kitty - what foods do YOU feed?

LauraBertram

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,
My kitty (Yoshimi) was recently diagnosed with mild phase (stage 2) chronic kidney disease (CKD), and I'm looking for advice on what types of wet/canned food work well for others whose cats are in the early stages of CKD. Thank you!!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll want to look for low phospohorus while also maintaining a decent amount of protein (preferably high protein). One brand that you'll want to look into is Weruva. They have their phosphorous values for their canned varieties listed on their website. Low phosphorous is crucial for kidney disease.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We fed a lot of Weruva to our previous cat when she was diagnosed with mild CKD. Weruva's charts are very helpful and they have a variety of foods so there's pretty much something to fit any cat's preferences.

Steak Frites was one of Brooksie's favorites and it's also particularly low in phosphorous.

I'd also suggest checking foods charts on these two sites:

Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - The Importance of Phosphorus Control (this site has lots of info on CKD, it was very helpful!)

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kidney disease is inflammatory and Omega 3s are anti inflammatory so they are especially good for kidney cats. You can feed 300-600mg of combined DHA and EPA to your cat without any concern.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise