Mild gingivitis in 9-month-old kitten and treatment.

jlc20m

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten, Bella, was diagnosed with mild gingivitis a few months ago. Her vet recommended Hill's Prescription Diet t/d Oral Health cat food as a treat twice a day as a way to help clear it up. Even though I hated the ingredients (and still do), apparently this food is "clinically proven" to reduce gingivitis. So, I gave it a go...three kibbles twice a day (after breakfast and before bedtime) between wet feedings (EVO, Before Grain, Blue Wilderness, Wellness, Nature's Variety Instinct, Addiction, FirstMate) along with some dry (EVO Turkey & Chicken Cat & Kitten). I also upped the brushing of her teeth from twice a week to every second day (CET Chicken-flavoured toothpaste). Fast forward to last week's check-up and the vet declared my squirt gingivitis free! I don't know if the increased brushing alone helped things (not brushing, really, just using a bit of gauze to smear some toothpaste on Bella's teeth and gums) or the t/d food alone helped things or it was a combination of the two. Whatever the case, I'm continuing this regimen. I don't want my baby to loose her teeth or develop other problems because of infected gums. I was shocked to discover she developed gingivitis so young. She is FIV/FeLV free and healthy. Now I need to work on her activity levels. Besides running up and down me umpteen times at three-in-the-morning, she's basically lazy, lol. I'm wondering if anyone else has had good results with Hill's Prescription Diet t/d Oral Health cat food. I live in British Columbia Canada and a four-pound bag costs around $26.00. But it lasts over two months when given as a treat to three cats. (Along with Bella, two 8-year-old sisters live with me.)

jlc20m

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad you had success with the Hills and brushing; I know brushing is a successful way of helping gingivitis.

"Clinical proven" -- I also wonder proven by whom:  Hills?

Another possible is to feed your cat some raw food or even better chicken wings, chewing really helps to cut down tarter.

And you're also right, sometime the cause of gingivitis is unknown--chalk it up to genetics.  Ritz had a dental cleaning when she was less than two years old; in her case, it was perhaps due to poor diet when she was a kitten (dumped on the streets until rescued) and simple genetics.