Milbemax Warning

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a heads-up about my experience with Milbemax

My 4 month old kitten (Coojee) had hew first check-up since we got her. She was confirmed by the vet as in excellent health & the vet gave a Milbemax pill as a wormer.

When we got home, Coojee was quiet & slept the rest of the afternoon. She did not eat her evening meal. I left a little hard food out over night & Coojee ate that some time in the night. The next morning, she did not eat her breakfast, but she did lap up the juice/water. She was still generally lethargic & tended to want to rest all the time. I spoke to the vet who suggested that it could be stress from the trip or a reaction to the wormer. The vet explained how I must watch that she took enough food & detailed Hypoglycemia symptoms. We made an urgent appointment, but I then cancelled the appointment as the vet felt the issue was stress & a further visit would only stress Coojee further. I was instructed that 1 day of not eating & should treat as an emergency.

Now, 5 days later. Coojee is managing to eat her food in two sittings, but she is getting all her food in a day. She drinks normally. She is happy & playful not, but for the past 3 days has been having very loose stools - basically splats in the tray. Coojee has been a very good girl & has run to her litter box & not had any accidents at all. I've kept in touch with the vet who feels that Coojee is getting better & the vet is happy with her progress.

Adverse reactions (frequency and seriousness)
In very rare occasions, especially in young cats, systemic signs (such as lethargy), neurological signs (such as ataxia and muscle tremors) and/or gastrointestinal signs (such as emesis and diarrhoea) have been observed after administration of the veterinary medicinal product.

Hmm.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, the booster was done at 3 months - before we collected her. The visit was just a nose to tail initial checkup plus the wormer pill.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, must have been that then. Be sure to have the vet put it in her files that she had a reaction so that med doesn't get prescribed again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

biscuity

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not happy how the vet handled this. The symptoms I told them were pretty well exactly from the adverse reactions list. I think we may may looking for a new vet.

FWIW we also keep fish - Discus, Orandas & Betta Splendens. (Not in the same tank!) One of the two active ingredients of Milbemax is praziquantal. We wouldn't give prazi to our fish unless it is life or death as it is too strong & always makes the fish ill.