Mila, my 7.5 year old persian suddenly collapsed, went limp and recovered what happened

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
IF it's cancer, you will deal with it, because you have to, for her :alright: . But don't go down that road just yet. She doesn't really have any symptoms of that, at least none you have mentioned, other than low WBC and platelets, and that might be from something else. But otherwise, she isn't showing any of the typical outward signs of being sick at all, except in those instances where she faints, and those are really few and far between (not that they aren't serious). The fact that she is eating well and not losing any weight is an excellent sign.

Hang in there. Hopefully something will be diagnosed soon. And if by some strange chance it is a form of cancer, cats usually handle chemo much better than humans

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks
dunno if we have chemo for cats here plus she'd be radioactive to the other cats form what I've read and separation in this small apartment just ins't possible
I appreciate the help and support, I'm so worried I might come off as irrational and panicky but that's because I am at this point, sorry

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am truly sorry for your struggles. There is a website for Veterinarians called VIN. See if any of your Vets are members because if so they can get allot of information and suggestions there.
Another site is the world veterinary association WVA. They can get help there as well.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thanks
dunno if we have chemo for cats here plus she'd be radioactive to the other cats form what I've read and separation in this small apartment just ins't possible
I appreciate the help and support, I'm so worried I might come off as irrational and panicky but that's because I am at this point, sorry

Chemo does NOT require pets to be separated. That's the good news. The only things I'm aware of that requires separation is a certain type of radiation therapy for hyperthyroidism. Even the litter has to be disposed of in a special way. But that's not what we're talking about here. But as I said, let's wait and see what the issue is before really thinking about chemo and whether or not it's even available where you live.

You are NOT coming off as irrational at all. You are coming off as a very caring and loving pet caretaker :alright:. That's absolutely nothing to be sorry about

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since I can't edit the OP I'm just going to summarize what we know so far:
Off topic, but just to let you know all members have 2 hours after they post when they can edit the post. After that, a new post is your only option.
Hang in there! Mila may not be an easy case, but fainting - even with her blood numbers - doesn't seem to be a 'norm' for cancer. However, there are members on here who have been through chemo with their cats - so IF you end up in that place, you can ask questions of them to help put your mind at ease a bit.

And, don't forget the contact data that S silent meowlook gave you as they may be helpful with Mila's overall case as well.

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dunno about that VIN thing, I doubt vets from Macedonia would be paying membertship from a site like that.
Vets make little money here.
The average Macedonian makes around 500 euros a month, the only reason our "average" has increased in recent years is programmers.
Either way, I'm sure if they need to they'd look up resources online.

My guess is that it all stems from Mila's teeth, she has bad teeth that my vets claim aren't bad, she had stomatitis from the plaque/bad teeth but that went away. These are her teeth on August 18th or so
IMG_4437.JPG IMG_4435.JPG

I've been asking my vets to extract some of the ones that look bad and clean her better looking teeth since July when she first had Stomatitis but they claimed her teeth were fine.

Also here are her bloodwork results from July 29th when she got that heatstroke to yesterday
They got my mom's name wrong in all but the first lol
viber_image_2021-10-20_18-02-07-331.jpg

and here's the Macedonian version of the latest ones which shows her glucose levels near the bottom
IMG_20211020_180815.jpg
Her Thrombocytes are extremely low in the ones from yesterday

On August 6th she ha FIP, FIV and FelV tests done
all turned out negative

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, her teeth don't look 'great', but from what you have said it isn't impacting her eating, correct? I don't know how stomatitis 'goes away' without corrective action, but from a purely layperson's perspective I just don't understand a connection between that and her other issues. Although low WBCs can result from infection - not sure about the platelets. I am pretty sure - as I would guess you already have concluded - this is all immune mediated related. Given the tests they have run, most of those conditions have been ruled out.

No such thing exists anywhere near you like a vet university? Here in the US, many vets will consult with one, as they see/study a much larger variance of cases than regular vets experience in their entire practice.

Shot in the (damn) dark -
MSAVA | Macedonian Small Animal Veterinary Association - WSAVA

Otherwise, I 'got nothing'. But, please keep us posted.

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, thanks for the response
My vet was a professor at the vet university for years, hence why I trust her so much.
If needed she consults with other vets too of course.

The reason I suspect bad teeth and an immune response to plaque is because I've read multiple times in the past that in some cats even a little bit of plaque can send their immune system in super defense mode, so that could explain the low WBC count.
The low platelets even my vets can't explain at the moment :(

Joe_Danger1337

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been doing some reading as much as I can after work tonight and in my mind, form what I understand it all circles back to her gums and teeth.

In cats, decreased platelet counts are a common laboratory finding. However, this is often a so-called pseudothrombocytopenia (incorrect low platelet values) which can occur with automated counting of platelets. It is related to the tendency for feline platelets to aggregate and the size of some of the platelets that in this species can be similar to the size of red blood cells. Therefore, manual counting (e.g., using Thrombo Plus®-tubes, Sarstedt and a Neubauer counting chamber) or slide evaluation must always be done to confirm whether the thrombocytopenia is real or artifactual.
Inflammatory diseases are another important cause for decreased platelet counts in cats. In inflammatory disease states interactions of platelets with altered or damaged endothelial surfaces cause extensive platelet activation, clumping, and removal of platelets by the mononuclear phagocytic system. Platelet destruction in bacterial infections can occur as a result of platelet adherence or aggregation to activated monocytes or neutrophils. Exotoxins may directly damage platelets and contribute to thrombocytopenia. Immune-mediated destruction might contribute to thrombocytopenia in different infectious diseases.
If we rule out Leukemia, assuming FeLV is the only type cats can get and if we rule out Lymphoma, at least the kind that kills in a couple months, then what's left is this stuff.
MAYBE it's small cell Lymphoma, from what I understand a cat could live for at least 2 years with that.

I want to have all four of my cats for at least 5 more years :(
but at this rate I might lose Mila and it's a loss I'm not even remotely ready for, there's so much kindness and love in that cat, they're all so unique but man, Mila, the way she is, she is incredible.