Middle Ear Surgery - Recovery And Tube Feeding?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I used to post here years ago, but haven't been around for a while.

My lovely boy Radar had a massive problem with polyps in his ears and throat, so had the above procedure yesterday on both sides, it's more complicated surgery than straightforward removal, but should prevent them recurring. He's still in hospital (very good and well equipped and staffed 24/7 vet hospital), I went to see him today and he was out of it on painkillers and although I know he loves me I am not sure he was fully aware I was there if that makes sense.

He can't come home until he is eating of his own accord, I miss him horribly, it's difficult to sleep without him trying to curl up on my face like usual :(

Anyway not so much looking for advice, just any positive thoughts or wishes you send would be massively appreciated.

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m so sorry to hear about this. I’ll keep Radar and you in my thoughts and prayers.
:alright: :catrub:

I’m glad to hear that he’s getting good veterinary care. Please do keep us updated. I’ll be hoping to hear some good news soon. :crossfingers:

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He’s getting the best care possible right now, but I’m positive he misses you too. I’ll keep you all in my thoughts! Here’s hoping he can come home to you soon!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks folks, he did eat some food last night and today, and his nasal congestion cleared up, so I was able to bring him home this evening. I have been given some appetite stimulant pills just in case, but the vet had seen him eat and thought it was likely his appetite would improve more at home.

He looked a LOT better today when I went to collect him - the Horner's Syndrome he had in both eyes yesterday from inflammation around the facial nerves has completely cleared up (that's really quick after that type of surgery, so is a real relief that there's no lasting damage, which unfortunately can happen in a small number of cases).

He was also much more with it, and definitely recognised me today - and was absolutely delighted and excited to see me - the entire journey home he was sticking his paws through the wire door of the pet carrier and trying to grab hold of me bless him.

He's very wobbly at the moment, due to pain meds and the fact he's had middle-ear surgery which will affect his balance until any inflammation clears up. I've made a padded ramp up to our bed (he is on what they call "room rest" for 10 days so will be confined there for the duration) but he's a bit too bewildered to work it out, and has instead camped out under it :)

mustardandbologna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My older cat, Doctor Cross, had a ventral bulla osteotomy in May 2015. He is FeLV+ and developed a chronic infection behind his (very large) polyp. Honestly, I think the Elizabethan collar was the worst part of the whole ordeal for him.

Aside from being deaf (which means his meow is incredibly...distinctive), he's totally fine now. I just have to remind his new vet not to put any solutions into his ear canal. Luckily, the Cross's osteotomy ear was already tipped from when he was TNR'd, so it's easy to remember which is which.

It's awesome that Radar's Horner syndrome has already cleared up! We're sending lots of love and our best healing vibes!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My older cat, Doctor Cross, had a ventral bulla osteotomy in May 2015. He is FeLV+ and developed a chronic infection behind his (very large) polyp. Honestly, I think the Elizabethan collar was the worst part of the whole ordeal for him.

Aside from being deaf (which means his meow is incredibly...distinctive), he's totally fine now. I just have to remind his new vet not to put any solutions into his ear canal. Luckily, the Cross's osteotomy ear was already tipped from when he was TNR'd, so it's easy to remember which is which.

It's awesome that Radar's Horner syndrome has already cleared up! We're sending lots of love and our best healing vibes!
Thank you very much!

Radar's balance is all over the place at the moment (hopefully should clear up as the inflammation goes down) but his hearing was actually better today than it has been for the last month - I think at least in one ear the eardrum is still intact, he definitely reacted to my voice today (when he hasn't for a while, with his ears being blocked).

He isn't wearing a cone now because when he started feeling a bit better today he started trying to pull it off *over* the area where his stitches are which would be really bad - so the vet made a decision to put him in a high-necked body suit instead - and my husband and I are taking it in turns to look after him while he is wobbly and drugged up, so he isn't being left unattended at any time.

mustardandbologna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much!

Radar's balance is all over the place at the moment (hopefully sho Iuld clear up as the inflammation goes down) but his hearing was actually better today than it has been for the last month - I think at least in one ear the eardrum is still intact, he definitely reacted to my voice today (when he hasn't for a while, with his ears being blocked).

He isn't wearing a cone now because when he started feeling a bit better today he started trying to pull it off *over* the area where his stitches are which would be really bad - so the vet made a decision to put him in a high-necked body suit instead - and my husband and I are taking it in turns to look after him while he is wobbly and drugged up, so he isn't being left unattended at any time.
The Cross ended up having to wear the E-collar for a few weeks because he couldn't stop licking the area where an IV had been inserted in his arm during surgery. Glad that Radar doesn't have to deal with one!

How wonderful that he can hear you already! I know that I was really scared about the surgery simply based on its description. I'm happy that your guy is recovering well and I hope he continues to heal nicely.

I've (hopefully) attached a photo of Doctor Cross.

Attachments

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Cross ended up having to wear the E-collar for a few weeks because he couldn't stop licking the area where an IV had been inserted in his arm during surgery. Glad that Radar doesn't have to deal with one!

How wonderful that he can hear you already! I know that I was really scared about the surgery simply based on its description. I'm happy that your guy is recovering well and I hope he continues to heal nicely.

I've (hopefully) attached a photo of Doctor Cross.
Oh my goodness he is cute!

What a little sweetheart, thank you for sharing the photo :)

And yes the surgery is quite horrible and recovery takes a while, I was really worried about the possibility of permanent facial nerve damage tbh, even though it only happens in a small percentage of cases, it's just a huge relief that it is more or less completely better already.

I could have opted for the less invasive (and considerably cheaper!) surgery simply to clip off the polyps without removing the tissue they are growing from, but as Radar is now nearly 12 years old and there is a much larger risk of recurrence with the simpler surgery, I didn't want to possibly end up having to deal with a repeat situation when he is more elderly, possibly has other health concerns, and is less able to withstand having a general anaesthetic and recovery from surgery. So chose to have the osteotomy now while he is fit and healthy and has a good chance.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an update:

Radar came home Friday night, but stopped eating and drinking over the weekend (and really I tried everything to get him to try to eat), so I took him back to the vet on Monday and he has been in hospital since.

He is quite congested and snotty, they have done tests and deduced that it is most likely a flare-up of a dormant virus of a type that is common in cats (the flare-up brought on by the stress of surgery and irritation in the nasal passages and throat due to removal of the polyps), and they think that is most likely why he has stopped eating and drinking, because he cannot smell anything and swallowing may be uncomfortable.

Obviously they started off by giving him IV fluids and nutrition overnight on Monday.

They have fitted a feeding tube (on Tuesday) which he has accepted with no issues so far, so he'll be able to come home once his hydration levels are good and the URI issue has cleared up, they expect him to get his appetite back in the near future, but in the meantime we will be trained to use the feeding tube ready for when he can come home.

In other words, the prognosis is very good, he's just a little poorly at the moment - please keep your fingers crossed for him (I would ask for wallet vibes too but I think that situation is beyond saving at this point, I reckon we've likely gone above what the insurance cover allows, so the emergency credit card will have to be put into play - but Radar is the main thing, it's only money).

Edit: Oh I should probably add that he is in very good spirits, I have been visiting him regularly and he seems normal in that he is happy, pleased to see me, enjoying cuddles etc. - he's not in a state of misery or pain or anything. (I wanted to add that in case our decision to use a feeding tube and have him stay in hospital for a while seemed cruel or selfish - he's still very much enjoying life even though he feels a bit unwell). The vets and nurses all adore him, because he is very affectionate and cheeky and demands cuddles from everyone, and he is a very good patient because he is so calm and gentle. He really is an extraordinarily sweet and good-natured cat - one of the things that makes him so special :)

Last edited:

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar is back home again!

He did eat some breakfast in hospital on Friday, I asked what food it was he ate and will go shopping tomorrow to get some (I didn't pick him up until late today, and most stores that would carry that food were closed - it's not something they have for sale at the vet).

But I did a tube feed this evening, although we were trained how to do it at the vet (my husband is fine with it as he is a human nurse and does PEG feeding all the time with human patients which is similar, it's just the quantities that are different!) I was still nervous about it. Because I will be the one at home and feeding him most of the time (hubby's help will be most appreciated for changing the gauze and bandages though!) - but it was pretty easy to do, Radar just cuddled up next to me and purred and kneaded with his paws while the food was going in.

He seems really happy and lively - back to normal, in himself. I just hope he starts eating consistently soon. But in the meantime we can keep him fed with the tube and the liquid food - I'm very pleased that we agreed to go ahead with it, because he clearly enjoys life and deserves a chance to start eating on his own again - while cuddling and playing and being a right mischief like he normally is :) :)

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such fantastic news! I'm so glad he's getting better.

You and your husband are such GREAT custodians to him! He is one lucky kitty.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such fantastic news! I'm so glad he's getting better.

You and your husband are such GREAT custodians to him! He is one lucky kitty.
Thank you for saying so, but I don't even think anything else is an option. I have 3 cats, and sometimes it is not cheap or easy - but we love them all so much. It's just not optional. If we had to live on soup to pay for their care, we would (I hope that won't be necessary mind you!)

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You and I are absolutely in agreement there. I'm sitting in the vet's office right now because i didn't think that Atticus, my three year old gray tabby, had pooped in about five days. Turns out he is a surreptitious pooper! The vet examined him and even did an X Ray and he's clean as a whistle. I guess what I thought was Thirteen's poop was actually Atticus's. The vet was full of complements for us though. She was filling in for my normal vet who's on vacation. She couldn't believe how awesome his teeth are. We brush those suckers every day! Still those were some very expensive compliments. :/

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You and I are absolutely in agreement there. I'm sitting in the vet's office right now because i didn't think that Atticus, my three year old gray tabby, had pooped in about five days. Turns out he is a surreptitious pooper! The vet examined him and even did an X Ray and he's clean as a whistle. I guess what I thought was Thirteen's poop was actually Atticus's. The vet was full of complements for us though. She couldn't believe how awesome his teeth are. We brush those suckers every day! Still those were some very expensive compliments.
Well I am very glad to hear he is ok! Yes, in a household with more than one cat it can be difficult to tell what is going into or coming out of any particular individual!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He had half a bowl of wet food today (really awful junk food but I'm not going to get too upset about the quality of what he is eating right now, given that he has barely eaten in a week and a half - it was more a case of offer him all sorts of things even if they are rubbish quality just to see if he fancies eating ANYTHING!)

We're still doing tube feeding of course, and will continue with that and adjust the amount and frequency depending upon what he eats of his own accord.

I just want to say, tube feeding is really easy to do at home once you know what you are doing, please don't hesitate to agree to it if your cat is friendly enough to sit next to you or on your lap for a little while at a time, a vet suggests it for clinical reasons (anorexia, after surgery or illness recovery etc) and if it could mean the difference between life and death for your cat - Radar is happy, lively, back to normal - it does take more effort than putting down bowls of food, but so so worth it. The most difficult bit is care of where the tube enters the body (in this case it is in the neck, and it is a tiny incision - the tube is narrow), but even that is not too difficult.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's eaten more rubbish wet junk food - so has managed about a pouch of it today.

Although it is the equivalent of burger and fries in health terms, I am just pleased he is eating anything at all and has a little appetite (he did have some appetite stimulant earlier in the medley of medications we ground up and added to his liquid feed, but it seems to be working so that's good)

Even though he has had about a pouch of food, I think I will still give him 5 feeds today, just spread them out a bit more and do a late one - he is still quite emaciated.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: he ate a little today of his own accord - about 3/4 of a pouch of rubbish wet food and a little dry food too. So we only did 4 tube feedings today. We also left a good amount of time between feedings, not enough to cause harm of course, but to give him time to feel a little hungry and maybe try eating.

He has noticeably gained some weight back - he's still underweight, but there has been a noticeable improvement in both how he feels when we pick him up, and how visible his spine/ribs/hips are, so that is great. His energy levels are great, destructicat is back in full force :runaround:

He ate a little more today than yesterday, fingers crossed for some more progress tomorrow. At least we know he *can* eat, and occasionally wants to.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's not eaten anything by himself today. This has set back my optimism levels considerably, Radar seems great and has good energy - I have no doubt that the tube has saved his life - at least for now. But what if he doesn't start eating again? I guess that is always a chance, I don't want to think about that, but can't help it.

I'm also exhausted, I haven't got into a proper schedule with this yet, and worry means I haven't been eating or sleeping properly.

I thought things might be easier if I got a couple of those Kitty Kollar things, designed to make life a bit easier when using a feeding tube, but they are £82 (over $110 USD *each*) on Amazon uk. So we'll carry on with the bandages. It's just a nightmare trying to secure the loose end of tube that pokes out from under the bandage, sometimes it annoys the cat if it isn't hanging out of sight/reach.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not eaten much today either, but we had a follow up appointment at the vet today - she said it can take a while for them to regain their appetite when they have been as run down as he was with surgery then a URI (which is greatly improved now btw).

He'd gained some weight since he was discharged, so we are moving in the right direction (could do with gaining more to be back where he was).

He's had his stitches out from his surgery, the vet checked his stoma where the feeding tube enters and says it looks really good and healthy, and most of his meds have now been stopped (except the antibiotics, he needs to have the full course.)

So we're to carry on as we are, we're doing a good job, and he is happy and lively (very lively, it was difficult to stop him investigating every corner of the consultation room!) Vet said to offer pretty much anything to tempt him to eat, as long as it is not outright toxic then just getting him to eat by himself regularly is the most important thing at the moment (and top him up with tube feeds if he isn't eating), if he decides he's only going to eat poached chicken or something that isn't ideal then we can worry about supplements once he is eating, for now offer him anything we can think of that might appeal.