Middening is maddening!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the boys - and I think it is Archie - has started pooping on the floor in front of the litter pans in the laundry room.

At first, we thought it was a commentary on the cleanliness of the pans so we did a big switchout - clean pans, fresh litter.

Well, he pooped again tonight.... Ugh.

I will take him to the vet and have him checked out, but Doug and I think he is upset b/c he cannot go out into the garage, which is off the laundry room.

He and the others were allowed into the garage at my condo, but when we moved to the new house we decided it should be off limits. We need to park in there, store stuff in there, etc. And if we let one in.. we have to let all of them go in and out.

When he first got here he cried at the back/garage access door...but his demands faded as he got used to the house. Recently, he has been trying again to dart out there and has gotten out a few times. Doug is visually impaired and doesn't see Archie coming, especially in stealth mode.

And he will lay there at the door, and he will cry and scratch.

I don't know what to do other than make sure there are no underlying health issues. Do you think Feliway would help? I know it helps with peeing issues.

Thanks!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feliway diffusers will certainly help reduce stress. Do you have a cat tree for them to climb and jump on? Bird feeder outside a window, for Cat TV?

Do you have enough litter boxes?

I wonder if someone is having constipation issues?

What are you feeding them? Diet plays a very important role in behavior.

Let us know what you find out at the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feliway diffusers will certainly help reduce stress. Do you have a cat tree for them to climb and jump on? Bird feeder outside a window, for Cat TV?
Do you have enough litter boxes?
I wonder if someone is having constipation issues?
What are you feeding them? Diet plays a very important role in behavior.
Let us know what you find out at the vet.
This is a HUGE house. They have trees, tho' we haven't put up the 6 footer yet, lots of windows... bird feeders not up yet. Need shepherds' hooks. I have six litter pans and I can add more if necessary, tho the pooping wasn't an issue at the old place - smaller and with the same number of pans and kitties. Hmm.

IDK if he is constipated or straining. He does have gut issues. I can go back to putting a dab of pumpkin in his food. He will also eat it straight. They get wet food twice a day and the rest is rounded out with a high quality dry - Merrick Before Grain. They like it and their coats have really gotten soft and shiny.

He is a high strung boy... kind of needy, needs reassurance a lot!

My next steps are to wash the laundry room floor with nok-out and put up a feliway diffuser.

Thanks!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like it's stress related--new house, new spaces, new smells, new sounds are all big stressors for kitties.  I had a cat that when we moved would poop outside the box because she was stressed.  My vet called it stress induced fecal incontinence.  I started using Feliway diffusers and that helped, as well as time for her to get used to her new home. I would definitely recommend the diffusers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just so everyone understands.. we relocated here in August and this just started... and it's December. I will keep you guys informed. I can't take him to the vet until Monday.. I am leaving in a few to go on a business trip.

friley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Consider putting in a window seat that extends outside the window. This helps tremendously with my little ones who want to be outside.