Microchipping questions

kittygirl321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got my kitty microchipped and spayed / vaccinated yesterday didn't get her back till the end of the day, so I'm just curious where exactly do they place it?
(Sorry if it's a stupid question)
And if anyone has gotten their kitty microchipped has anyone ever had to use it? What was the outcome?

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always seen the microchip inserted around the scruff of the neck. (Vaccines are usually injected in the legs.) I think I've felt it before in other animals, but I can't feel it on my cat. I've certainly taken my share of lost dogs to the vet to check for a microchip, and of course they never have them, but no lost kitties. Most cats that get lost are too scared to let people approach them, but I still think it's good to have the microchip just in case!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's supposed to be in between the shoulder blades. Sometimes it moves around after being injected so have your vet scan for it now and then to see where it is.

They're really only useful if the cat ends up at an animal shelter or vet's office that has a scanner (some small-town shelters/vets don't). But the more pets that have them, more shelters and vets will scan, more awareness will be raised. I've known dogs that got home because of their microchip but not a cat yet.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Make sure to register the microchip right away with all of your contact information and keep that info up to date. A lost pet with an unreigstered microchip that has no contact info associated with it will not be able to find its way home. The vet should have given you info on the microchip (microchip company name and info, the ID number of hte microchip, etc). If not, ask for it. You can register the mcirochip on the company's web site. It takes just a few minutes. Some companies offer paid yearly subscriptions but unless you want the additional coverage and features, the basic service is free. Double check the fine print to be sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittygirl321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Make sure to register the microchip right away with all of your contact information and keep that info up to date. A lost pet with an unreigstered microchip that has no contact info associated with it will not be able to find its way home. The vet should have given you info on the microchip (microchip company name and info, the ID number of hte microchip, etc). If not, ask for it. You can register the mcirochip on the company's web site. It takes just a few minutes. Some companies offer paid yearly subscriptions but unless you want the additional coverage and features, the basic service is free. Double check the fine print to be sure.
Hi- thanks for the info -
I did register online today. It's through a company called ' petlink.net '