Microchip

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello guys
I've been reading about this for a while now and I didn't come up with any decision. So I'd like to know your opinions.
To microship or no? Safe or no! And if smn shares his experience it'd be amazing.
Thanks in advance

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Microchips are safe. They occasionally do shift around under the skin but causes no harm or damage.

The most important thing to do right away after your cat gets the microchip inserted is to register the microchip with all of your contact information. The vet does not do this for you. The vet should give you the paperwork with the name of the microchip company and your cat's specific microchip number. Just call the microchip company and register your cat's microchip. Some companies offer online registration but they also usually will require you to purchase a yearly subscription for extra services in case your cat ever gets lost. You do not need to purchase a subscription just to have your contact information associated with your cat's microchip in their system. If the company has a web site, check out the FAQs for details.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting your cat chipped isn't very much different than getting a vaccination shot.
There is a little bit more prep time but the operation, itself, takes about as long as it takes to give a cat a shot.

The chip, itself, is about the size of a grain of rice. Once it's in, you or the cat will never notice it's even there.
It is hermetically sealed and doesn't react with the animal's tissues. It is virtually inert.

You should find a vet who is experienced at inserting chips. The chance of complications or long term effects is small but is even less when the vet has done it before.

Ask your vet how many chips they have done.
Ask them how often there have been complications.
Ask what kinds of complications there have been.

If the vet gives you good, honest answers, go ahead and do it.

If you don't like the vet's answers, go find another vet with more experience and who will answer your questions.

Casper has a chip and has never had any problems, whatsoever.

We don't even know it's there.

One of the last times we went to the vet, we asked to have Casper's chip scanned just to be sure it was still working.

It was. :)

We are glad to have it. It's good peace of mind. :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All shelters and vets automatically scan now for a chip. It would save valuable time to recover a lost/hurt pet, and even save their life at a kill shelter. I would definitely have it done for peace of mind......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update!
I've just chipped my kitten and the vet only gave me the id number and attestation to prove that I am the owner of the kitten. I want to update the chip with my personal info but I don't know how nor do I know the the brand of the chip.
What should I do!?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Update!
I've just chipped my kitten and the vet only gave me the id number and attestation to prove that I am the owner of the kitten. I want to update the chip with my personal info but I don't know how nor do I know the the brand of the chip.
What should I do!?
Call the vet and ask for the name of the microchip company. An unregistered microchip is useless. Sure, the microchip will be detected if a lost pet is scanned for one but there will be no contact information associated with that microchip.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The chip just contains a number. No more, no less. It's like the license plate on your car, only invisible.

You need to have your name and address listed in a database so that, if your kitten gets lost, a vet or animal shelter employee can scan the chip, read out its number, have it looked up and contact you to return your kitten home.

The vet should have given you information on where to call, write or internet in order to get your kitten's chip registered.

Registering a pet's microchip depends on the organization where you do it. Some places let you do it for free but all you get is to have your name listed in a database. If your cat gets found, the chip is scanned, your name and address is looked up and you'll get a call. Other places offer more services. They might give you tips and help on how to find your lost cat. They might allow you to send a "lost pet alert" to local shelters or other places. Some actually provide services to help transport your cat back home after she is found. It all depends on how much you want and how much you want to pay.

Check the papers that your vet gave you. There's probably more information there.

We have Casper subscribed to HomeAgain. It costs something like $40 per year but they have a hotline that you can call if your cat gets lost and they can give you tips on how to find your cat again and, if he is found, they'll cover up to $500 to transport him up to 500 miles to get him home.

If you want to check out HomeAgain, go here:

HomeAgain will register any microchip but they are a subscription service.
(Your cat's chip will always be registered even if you stop paying for the subscription. It's the recovery service that you pay for.)

If you want information on more places to register your cat's chip, go here:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OP's location is listed as Morocco so US based microchip companies may not have any services available in that country. OP should double check the information that was given by the vet and also call the vet to confirm the name of the microchip company and get a phone number.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I‘m sorry. I didn’t see your location until after I answered.

Still, I am sure that there are similar services available in other countries.

Getting your cat’s chip number listed in a registry database is the important thing. The rest are just extra services. They aren’t required. They are optional.

The paperwork you were given from the vet should have the information you need. :)

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet will provide me with the name of the company tomorrow and said he'll give an attestation that states that the microchip iD in my kitten belongs to me.
In Morocco, we have great vets and clinic but unfortunately not as cool and advanced in US, UK and Europe.
I'll keep u updated as soon as I have the company's name.
Thanks guys

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Come to think of it, this would be good information for people who live outside the US or Canada to know so that, when they get their pets chipped, they know who to call. :)

NabilBen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any idea about the brand?