Microchip- To Chip Or Not To Chip?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I contacted my local shelter, and they said that they use 24 Pet Watch and most shelters and vets have a universal scanner. They claim to scan every animal that comes through and have had a few cats over the years. They do recommend chipping as a precaution.

I also called my vet's office and they were very helpful explaining the price, procedure, and their opinions. They use Home Again and help to register the animal, but the staff there were also skeptical that people in this area would even think to scan a cat, and that not a lot of the shelters do, either. They thought that collars were the most effective to show that a cat was not a stray and can add to the tag that they are chipped, but those of course can fall off. They did say it was owner's choice, and that the chip companies can help by putting out a notice on social media and e-blast.

Another local vet uses PetLink, which they feel is superior quality and has a one time registration fee. They do recommend chipping but acknowledged that people may assume a cat is a stray and not bother, but that there are local rescue groups that are pretty good about bringing them in to get checked. Chip price is a little higher than my vet, but with registration it would actually be about even if not cheaper, and no annual fees. Of course if I were to go there both cats would need an exam as they are not patients, so that would be $120 just to walk in.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All of mine are chipped except the youngest two. I'm going to get them done soon. I've seen many animals reunited with their owners because of microchips.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Apparently June is National Pet Mircochip Awareness month:

June is National Pet Microchip Awareness Month - Hero Pet Brands

Ask your vet if he / she does a "free microchip with an exam" deal. The vet hospital I use has had one every September for the past few years.

Both of my cats are microchipped. Emma already had a microchip when I adopted her. I just had to change the contact info from the rescue to mine. Leroy was microchipped a few years ago at the annual exam. There was a flyer about a free microchip with exam in the exam room so I asked the vet to put one in Leroy. Neither cat go outside and if they slip out the door all they can do is run up and down the building hallway.

Registration of the microchip with all of your contact info should be free. Ask the microchip company for specifics. They typically offer extra services and stuff for a yearly membership fee but it's not required to have. Just having your contact info in their database associated with the microchip number is free.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I go back to the days of tattooing the inner thigh of an animal with something like your drivers licence number. It was frankly a big mess, wore off, and bad tattooing bled. I microchip everyone with Home Again. Regardless of any stats, it is one more way that you possibly might get your pet back if something happens. Several years ago a dear friend died, leaving her little yorkie to a relative in Florida who was certainly a decent enough person. Long story short, dog gets out, someone takes it to be scanned, my departed friend does not answer the call from Home Again, but I am listed as alternate so I got the call and was able to tell them where the dog lived. Frankly, a dog also needs a collar with ID; I know that the use of collars on cats is more hotly debated.

Having said that, Home Again is a little bit like a self styled CIA, very secretive, but I suppose that protecting personal info of the owner is a good thing. They are very difficult when it comes to transfers of ownership, deaths, etc and some of their reps are much more concerned than others.

Kissamew

My attitude is inspired by cats....
Young Cat
Purraise
How many owners here choose to microchip their cat, and why?

I've had my kittens for less than a year, and I'm starting to feel like the mischievous one is getting a bit too curious at the door. I see so many missing pets on local FB posts, and my kitty's curiosity has me a little concerned. I've decided to get them collars/ ID tags, but of course those can (and should) fall off. I started reading up on micro-chipping, but reading up on the associated risks has me feeling doubtful that it's for me.

My senior (RIP) was never chipped, and only wore a collar (no tag) when being transported to the vet. He was street smart, and while he had slipped out numerous times, I never worried about him finding his way home. With 2 young cats whose wisdom is questionable, I am less confident.

Environmental concerns- I live in a rural area, and my community has plenty of wild areas. I have neighbors close by, I'm within walking distance to the nearest shelter, and the overall community is pretty close knit. Most people are very familiar with local vets, as there are only a handful at best, and there's a few locals who are dedicated to rescuing cats. IF my trouble maker were to get out and was found, I feel like I could easily utilize local FB groups. Downsides would be the overall wild spaces where he wouldn't be found (he's also scared of strangers) and other than the few dedicated "crazy cat ladies," I'm doubtful if locals would think twice about seeing a cat outside, let alone have it scanned. I'm also not sure if local shelters/ vets even have a scanner.

I might be leaning more towards a visible collar and personal diligence being my best bet, but I want to explore all my available options. Any thoughts/ opinions on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
In my county (in AZ), shelter animals are micro-chipped before adoption, so no choice is given there. They scan and verify the chip matches the paperwork before the pet leaves. I am not sure if they use it to scan before treatments or surgeries to assure the correct pet matches the records. I do not believe any of the cats I've had with chips have had any issues. I'm not a collar fan for cats (I fear them getting tangled or worse). I have had cats occasionally come on my patio, but I leave the feral to their business and watch for the house kitties to go back home. It's not frequent. Coyotes are very common and cats are a favorite hunt of theirs, so I don't let mine outside without me. I would let your intuition guide you. Since my cats are shelter rescues they have chips and I keep the info up to date. I receive regular emails reminding me to verify the information is current. I feel more comfort than leaving them with a collar on.

KateMc82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got all 3 of my cats chipped. It was painless for them because they did it when they were fixed. They have had no problems with the microchips. I doubt they can even feel them. 2 of my cats are indoor-only, but I do have one that is indoor/outdoor. I feel a little more assured knowing they’re all chipped if the indoor-only ones get out or if the indoor/outdoor one gets lost.

KateMc82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My indoor-only cats don’t wear collars, although I am considering getting one. My outdoor cat wears a collar with all my info on it and informs people that he is microchipped.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
My indoor only cat is micro-chipped. The risk is virtually non-existent, and yes, we do know that. Micro-chipping isn't new, and in the UK it has been a requirement for years , so we have years of data on millions of cats, and they have had less serious reactions than you can count on your fingers.

Even with the greatest possible care, I can think of 3 times my cat could have escaped in as many years (1 workman, 1 guest incident, 1 time a screen failed), which is why she has a tagged collar and a microchip.

KateMc82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are we supposed to take your word for it?
How Safe are Pet Microchips? Know the Benefits and Risks

States that the risk of complications are low. Recommends the pet is given anesthetic before microchip is implanted. The process of implanting a microchip is not painless to the animal.

Microchips: Are Pet Owners Being Misled? - Dogs Naturally

Seems decidedly anti-microchipping.

7 Common Pet Cancer Myths Debunked | PetCure Oncology

A site devoted to cancer in pets. Seems to come on the side of microchipping. Benefits outweigh the risks. Also addresses other concerns people may have about causes of cancers in pets.

KateMc82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How Safe are Pet Microchips? Know the Benefits and Risks

States that the risk of complications are low. Recommends the pet is given anesthetic before microchip is implanted. The process of implanting a microchip is not painless to the animal.

Microchips: Are Pet Owners Being Misled? - Dogs Naturally

Seems decidedly anti-microchipping.

7 Common Pet Cancer Myths Debunked | PetCure Oncology

A site devoted to cancer in pets. Seems to come on the side of microchipping. Benefits outweigh the risks. Also addresses other concerns people may have about causes of cancers in pets.
I would recommend you find a vet you trust and bring up your question/concerns to them. It’s always better than researching yourself on the internet where data can be distorted and people may have hidden agendas.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy is an escape artist who loves to wiggle out of harnesses and ditch his collar whenever he can. I sleep better knowing he is chipped!!! Since he is chipped by my local vet I know it is the microchip company used in my area and well worth $20 a year for peace of mind!!! The vet microchipped him when we neutered him.

If your cat is a couch potato or hates going outside then it might not be worth microchipping them. Also in case of natural disaster it provides extra security.

KateMc82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought registering the microchip was free and you only pay for extra features?
I have 2 of my cats chipped through Home Again. The registry was free, I believe (it’s been a while since they were chipped). However, if you want to be able to have Home Again send members e-mails alerting them of your lost pet, and other extras, you have to pay a yearly subscription fee. It’s currently 19.99/year.
My 3rd cat was chipped by the humane society when he was neutered by them. It’s called Found Animals Registry. There was no charge to register the chip. The implantation cost me $15 USD.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay this was confusing me and now more than ever. For the first five years our cat had her home again chip they wrote and asked for
money the $19.99. then they didn't. I sent them money and asked why they hadn't sent the bill. They cashed the check and never answered.

The dog got her chip in July of last year. So far they have sent two emails and one bill asking for the $19.99. Nothing about the cat, who got her chip in July of the year we got her. Why are they asking for money for the dog, but not the cat? I will be seeing the vet tomorrow and will ask some of the front desk crew. I asked the other vet last week and she didn't know.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The desk crew said that the registration with Home Again remains even if you don't pay them more each year. They will admit you own the pet if the chip is scanned. The extra money is for stuff like emailing everyone on their list near you if your pet is missing. A nice idea, but if someone on their list found a stray pet they'd probably take it to the vet to be scanned, right?