Microchip ID for Cat, okay?

jojo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is scheduled for one of those implanted ID's tomorrow morning. The vet says they place it with a needle between her shoulder blades which sounds painful. The reason I'm tagging her is because she hates wearing a collar and, like Houdini, often figures out a way to get it off within minutes.

Does anyone have any experiences to share with me? Recommendations for or against?

Thanks,
JoJo

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We do them at my vet clinc all the time. I work for an Army vet and in a lot of places they are required. There have been maybe 3 small dogs that flinched and only 2 cats that created a fuss. The 3 cats did the same thing for vaccines as well though. 95% of the time they don't really even care. If the vet does it right, there shouldnt be any problems at all. I am 100% for the microchip. We actually help reunite a dog and owner because the dog had a chip.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jojo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dani "escaped" from the house once when I first got her. I believe the experience of being outside for a day frightened her, it sure terrified me. But here of late, with her fascination of the birds flirting about the trees and leaves blowing across the porch, I'm afraid she may dart outside again. It will still scare me but I'd feel somewhat better knowing there's a possibility of being reunited if next time, someone else finds her. Thank you for making "me" feel better.

JoJo & Dani Night Stalker

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My younger cat has had one since I adopted him from the Humane Society 2 years ago. It's standard operating procedure for them now. I've never had even the slightest hint of a problem.

anne moeller

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had this done to 8 of my cats and think its wonderful. Collars can come off (or be removed) and tattoos don't last. I usually had the chip implanted while the cat was being fixed or having a teeth cleaning. Never had a problem. I understand most shelters now have readers so it really is a good way to go.
Anne

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jojo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dani came through it with flying colors -- a real little trooper. Fortunately, they didn't ask me to be there when they inserted the needle so she couldn't sense my fear of needles.

I feel so much better now.

Thanks everyone.

JoJo and Dani Night Stalker

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am happy to hear she made it through the ordeal. Heck, its just an ordeal going to the vet..

Now you can feel safe and secure that she has proper identification.