Microchip Cat Feeders

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello everyone!

I am interested to hear about everyone's experience with microchip cat feeders.

Mostly interested in ones available in Canada, but please tell me which one you have and your honest review :)

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 4 of the SurePet brand, one each for my 4 cats. I don't know if they are available in Canada.
One is on a renal diet, another eats everything in sight, and the other two are grazers. I needed this and needed 4 of them.
One drawback is the price. They are expensive. Because of the design you need a back covering to keep another cat from eating from the back of the feeder, and SurePet sells the back covering separately, not with the feeder. I think that's wrong, everything that is needed should come with the feeder at the feeder price.
But, they work wonderfully. Cat approaches, stays for a few seconds, the feeder opens. You can set how long of a time before the feeder closes when the cat leaves, there are 3 choices.
Every once in awhile the feeder doesn't open when I push the button to open it to add food, but I just take the batteries out and put them back in to reset it- this does not happen often.
Once, 2 feeders that I have in the kitchen stopped working, and I read it could be due to being near an appliance, like the refrigerator, and I moved them to a different room for awhile- just moved them back to the kitchen and they work fine.
It did not take my cats long to learn to use them.
So, except for the price they are a lifesaver with feeding for me.
I wish someone would make a microchip timed feeder, to drop food at certain times and also open for a chip. Hasn't happened yet. I'm sure that would be much more $$$, but nice to dream.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have 4 of the SurePet brand, one each for my 4 cats. I don't know if they are available in Canada.
One is on a renal diet, another eats everything in sight, and the other two are grazers. I needed this and needed 4 of them.
One drawback is the price. They are expensive. Because of the design you need a back covering to keep another cat from eating from the back of the feeder, and SurePet sells the back covering separately, not with the feeder. I think that's wrong, everything that is needed should come with the feeder at the feeder price.
But, they work wonderfully. Cat approaches, stays for a few seconds, the feeder opens. You can set how long of a time before the feeder closes when the cat leaves, there are 3 choices.
Every once in awhile the feeder doesn't open when I push the button to open it to add food, but I just take the batteries out and put them back in to reset it- this does not happen often.
Once, 2 feeders that I have in the kitchen stopped working, and I read it could be due to being near an appliance, like the refrigerator, and I moved them to a different room for awhile- just moved them back to the kitchen and they work fine.
It did not take my cats long to learn to use them.
So, except for the price they are a lifesaver with feeding for me.
I wish someone would make a microchip timed feeder, to drop food at certain times and also open for a chip. Hasn't happened yet. I'm sure that would be much more $$$, but nice to dream.
Thank you for the review! $172 USD is ouch in Canadian 😂 I might have to save up though.