Michigan, northern, Dogs getting sick with parvo-like illness dying within 3 days

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
This is so sad. 😥 I also noticed in a related video on the link above that dogs were getting sick due to pesticides in parks. Anytime I would walk our dog and saw a house with a sign on the lawn that it had been chemically treated I made sure not to let him go near it. They can get pesticides or other chemicals on their paws and bring it into the house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pesticides are scary, infuriating, and sad. We live partway down a hill, so I don't trust the ground for planting anything to eat and try to keep pupper from eating anything out there, too.

The disease is as well. The pesticides didn't have to be, the cause of the disease is yet to be found.

Last edited:

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Honestly, this is one of the few times I'm probably lucky that my dog is reactive and can't be around other dogs. I don't walk him in my neighborhood, either, because of the chance of running into off leash dogs as well as people never pick up after their dogs - my boy already has some health issues so I figured the last thing I needed was him getting some kind of parasite from left behind dog waste.

I'm not in MI and hopefully it doesn't spread across the country and they can figure out how to best handle it. It's such a sad thing, but I wonder if there is a rise in anti-vax in dogs as well and that might be contributing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
second article, looking like it maybe parvo, but they aren't positive, recommending get vaccinations up to date.

KittyFriday KittyFriday I'm guessing, rather than anti-vaxxers, that it's been a matter of having the money for the office visit + vaccination that's been part of the problem. Vet prices have skyrocketed and with inflation, it's crushing. You can only give up so many things.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was stationed at Ft. Lewis WA when the Parvo that they now have an effective vaccine for started. It was the same thing a lot of very sick dogs. Even with supportive treatment many died and of course there were people who couldn't afford to try so they had their dog euthanized. Some vets were trying vaccinating dogs with the feline distemper vaccine. I don't know if that gave any protection at all but vets were trying it because they had nothing else to offer.

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
KittyFriday KittyFriday I'm guessing, rather than anti-vaxxers, that it's been a matter of having the money for the office visit + vaccination that's been part of the problem. Vet prices have skyrocketed and with inflation, it's crushing. You can only give up so many things.
Cost is probably a factor, you're right. I must just end up on the wrong side of DogTok because I see a lot of people who refuse vaccinations, or more likely, will get the initial puppy series and then totally stop because they don't see the boosters as necessary. Possibly just a rumor at this point, but I've heard that they think the spread is due to rescues moving dogs, and one large scale breeder (maybe a mill) was hit hard as well.

Either way, keep your pups safe everyone! We used to do walks up at the college campus because there was less of a chance of running into random waste on or walks (or off leash dogs) but I think I'll suspend those for the time being.