Mia peed blood this afternoon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do have one more question that I hope someone could answer. Im still worried about the infrequent urination she’s experiencing. If her bladder was blocked due to the inflammation from the Bactria she would be straining in the box and not peeing right? Not just peeing super infrequently and small amounts?

Im assuming that she is peeing less frequently because it’s painful and she’s ‘putting it off’ for lack of a better term.

But part of me is still worried lol.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Didn't you ask the vet about the limited peeing when you were notified of the bacteria? I would call them back and ask. It is taking quite a long time to get the urine culture results to determine the proper antibiotic for her bacteria. In many cases, a vet will start an antibiotic right away, and then change it if the culture indicates another is better/more effective. It is possible that she is avoiding the litter box, but in most cases the cat will end up peeing elsewhere as the infection can also cause a sense of urgency. Call them back and tell them your concern.

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I honestly forgot because I was just so happy to hear that it was a bacteria. And I called back and he apparently went home for the day. But I can give him a call in the morning. Maybe I’ll call another vet to ask. 🤷🏻‍♀️

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If there are other vets in his office, you could ask to talk to one of them?

Edit: If you can't talk to anyone, I suppose you could try to buy some puppy pee pads and place them nearby the litter box, to see if she might pee on those - just in case she is reluctant to go elsewhere and is in fact holding it.

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called the emergency vet and they said that I should just watch out for if she is experiencing pain in her abdominal area and not urinating at all. They said 8-12 hours between pees is pretty normal for a cat.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I sent you a PM. Not sure if you saw it.

She could be holding it especially if she is associating the litter box with pain. You might try some Cat Attract litter. Also, add a little bit of water to her wet food to make it more like oatmeal to increase her water intake. She could still have some inflammation and some pain while urinating, which is uncomfortable. How long has she been on antibiotics?

Additionally, remember that your kitty will pick up on any of your stress, so try not to over stress about the situation. I know that's so hard to do when we love these little furries so much, but sometimes just letting the medication work is best.

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh yes I did see the PM! I’ll check that out in the morning.
And yes she was just holding it. She just successfully peed so now I feel better and will be able to sleep better. But she held it for 19 hours. Geeze. I can’t hold my pee that long.

She’s not on antibiotics yet, my vet wanted to wait till he knew *which* antibiotic before prescribing one. But for some reason he decided to prescribe a painkiller?? 🤷🏻‍♀️ I mean he’s a good vet so I guess I should just trust his methods. But tomorrow at 3:00 pm I’ll know what antibiotic to give her and all will be good. I’m just glad that it’s something easily treatable.

How long will it take before she starts feeling better on the antibiotics?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long will it take before she starts feeling better on the antibiotics?
It is not always the case, but usually about 3 days in to the treatment you probably will see improvement. The general rule of thumb is about half way through the antibiotic length of treatment, but if she is put on a 14 day dose, it shouldn't take a week before she is doing better. Let us know what they give her!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet was smart to prescribe a painkiller and to wait to see which antibiotic would best treat the infection. I like to give an antibiotic 72 hours unless I see that the kitty is getting worse, then I call the vet.

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Argh! I just called the vet and they said that the bacteria is taking longer to grow then expected so I should call back tomorrow morning. :(

Is it normal to have to wait this long before being able to treat my cat? Why did the vet choose to wait to treat her rather than give her a common antibiotic for UTI’s and then just change it If it was wrong? I’ve never had a UTI, is this how they do it with human UTI’s too?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think it can take up to 3 days for a urine culture, or at least that seems to be the longest I have ever waited for Feeby's results. And, yes my vet always starts an antibiotic, to get things 'rolling', and changes it afterward if needed. But, with Feeby having had a few UTIs in the past couple of years, the vet now just goes with the previous antibiotic, since she has repeatedly tested for e-coli in her bladder. As I stated before, my vet never put Feeby on any pain meds, but then her UTI symptoms have been pretty mild in nature.

Personally speaking, I only recently had a suspected UTI - twice - and in both cases they started an antibiotic before the culture results came back. For me, the culture took less than 3 days, but also need to point out that the bacteria was ruled as non-infection related, which might explain the brevity of the culture?

Moonlight_wolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm Mia just threw up this evening. Should I be concerned? I read that vomiting is a side effect of a blockage. But I also read that it’s a side effect of antibiotics. But she took antibiotics 8 hours ago.

She is still acting fine and is eating and playing and all that jazz.

And she’s still passing urine, even if it’s only in small amounts. So that’s proof she’s not blocked up right? Though she did change from peeing infrequently to frequently again. So I’m not sure what that’s about. But she still is passing urine.

Sorry for being such a worry wart 😖

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Blockage happens if they have crystals. Your vet diagnosed an UTI, so she won't get blocked. The UTI burns, making her think she needs to go, even though she doesn't. As the meds start to work, she will go less often.