Metronidazole (Flagyl) causing diarrhea??

7_angel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Instead of helping my cat, the metronidazole (Flagyl) prescribed for his loose stools seems like it may be making his condition worse.

He now has diarrhea. I called the vet yesterday and asked if I should continue with the metronidazole. They said to continue with it and bring him in on Monday. But he just now had some BAAAD diarrhea. Vet is closed now for the weekend. So, in the 8 days he's been on the metronidazol (100 mg/day) his stools have gotten progressively worse every day.

My cat has had loose stools for about 7 weeks total (that I know of, as I've only had him for 7 weeks). We've been to the vet several times. Here is what's been done:

1. He has been de-wormed.
2. His blood has been tested.
3. He's had a fecal smear - indicated nothing
4. He's had a vitamin B12 test - indicated no problems
5. He's been on probiotics.
6. He's had Hill's I/D and L/D food (a few weeks ago his blood test indicated high liver levels, but since the L/D diet, the bloodwork shows no problems). He is currently only eating I/D dry food.

I'm wondering if the metronidazole is making him worse - it sure seems like it. Am wondering if I should stop giving it to him until I see the vet after the weekend.

Other than his diarrhea, he seems fine. He seems just slightly more tired than usual, but I understand this is to be expected with metronidazole.

Has anybody experienced anything like this?

I'm stumped. I would think at least one of these things would have helped his stools - but nothing has.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stress = diarrhea.

Flagyl is nasty tasting, bitter, awful stuff. Could well be the stress of getting it is making things worse.

I'd combine Albon & probiotics. Pick one food & stick with it for at least 3 months. His digestive tract is all messed up right now, sounds like. Re-test a fecal, too.....sometimes things do not show up intially but are there....I've had giardia not be there, be there, then not again....when in reality it was probably there the entire time!!

yayas_mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Any incidences of Tri Trichomonus Fetus (I'm sure I spelled that wrong, but that's how you pronounce it LOL)
It doesn't show on a normal fecal, you have to use a special rubber tipped doohickey to get the fecal sample from waaaaaaaaay up in the intestinal track. I had a cat with it recently that even while on meds, the diarrhea persisted. He was being treated with renidazole (also spelled wrong I'm sure) but the pills have to be refrigerated.
It's apparently a not so rare cat parasite that is making a comeback.

HTH

Originally Posted by 7_Angel

Instead of helping my cat, the metronidazole (Flagyl) prescribed for his loose stools seems like it may be making his condition worse.

He now has diarrhea. I called the vet yesterday and asked if I should continue with the metronidazole. They said to continue with it and bring him in on Monday. But he just now had some BAAAD diarrhea. Vet is closed now for the weekend. So, in the 8 days he's been on the metronidazol (100 mg/day) his stools have gotten progressively worse every day.

My cat has had loose stools for about 7 weeks total (that I know of, as I've only had him for 7 weeks). We've been to the vet several times. Here is what's been done:

1. He has been de-wormed.
2. His blood has been tested.
3. He's had a fecal smear - indicated nothing
4. He's had a vitamin B12 test - indicated no problems
5. He's been on probiotics.
6. He's had Hill's I/D and L/D food (a few weeks ago his blood test indicated high liver levels, but since the L/D diet, the bloodwork shows no problems). He is currently only eating I/D dry food.

I'm wondering if the metronidazole is making him worse - it sure seems like it. Am wondering if I should stop giving it to him until I see the vet after the weekend.

Other than his diarrhea, he seems fine. He seems just slightly more tired than usual, but I understand this is to be expected with metronidazole.

Has anybody experienced anything like this?

I'm stumped. I would think at least one of these things would have helped his stools - but nothing has.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find that strange because my cats were on Flagyl about a month ago and it helped their stool firm up in about 48 hours. Actually since Jordan has taken the Flagyl he's been more himself than he has been in a year.

I don't know if this food is like the one's you are trying, but when Levi was a kitten he had horrible liquid stools. The vet perscribed, Eukaneuba (SP?) Low Residue, it helped him in a very short time.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One thing you'll need to watch carefully is his hydration. Cats with diarrhea or vomiting can very quickly become dehydrated.

I would put some extra water containers around...different kinds too, as the curiosity/novelty often "inspires" extra drinking. If you're able to leave a faucet dripping from time to time - that may do the same.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi 7_Angel!

You wrote:

Just want to let you know that metronidazole can cause diarrhea. Usually itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s listed among the “less common†or “rare†side effects, depending on the source of information. The Pill Book Guide to Medication for your Dog and Cat for example lists it among the rare side effects.
Other info that mentions diarrhea:
http://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/mon...ronidazole.asp
http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1442

I also sent you a PM, a technical reference from a vet. Lots of info, things you can discuss with your vet, hopefully it will be helpful to you.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Violet

metronidazole can cause diarrhea. Usually itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s listed among the “less common†or “rare†side effects, depending on the source of information.
Diarrhea is a more common side effect than most pamphets make it out to be. We give that quite frequently in the hospital, and I don't recall a patient that didn't get diarrhea from it.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Flagyl is not a cure all for any type of fecal problems, although it is a pretty tough anti-biotic, just like with any anti-biotic it can cause diarrhea. How old is your kitty? If it is still a kitten, there is such a thing called kitten diarrhea, it is a condition that they eventually grow out of. As someone else mentioned it could also be all the stress of back and forth to the ver, although I don't blame you for wanting to take the best care of your kitty and sometimes that means frequent trips to the vet. Good luck, you can always try a small spoonful of yogurt if it is a antibiotic problem, that should help things firm up a little.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
as she mentioned before-they are not sure what is causing the loose stools. If it is giarrdia-they yes flagyl is perfect most times, but there are other types of bacteria and what not that could be causing the problem, that flagyl may not take care of.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

7_angel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info everyone!

I guess I'm trying to figure out if it's acceptable to get diarrhea from metronidazole because in the long run it may help him? (the idea that it gets worse before it gets better?) Or perhaps this just means he isn't responding to the metronidazole at all. He is displaying no other symptoms - no disorientation, jaundice, vomiting, depression, weakness, etc.

I should add that Grabben is about 9 months old. With each treatment (prescription I/D food, probiotic and metronidazole) we give him he seems to respond well at first, but then within a given time, usually a couple of days, he's goes back to his loose stools. My biggest concern now is that his diarrhea is the real deal - not just loose stools anymore. He has his diarrhea or loose stools twice a day.

In the 7 weeks that we've had him, he's actually gained almost 2 lbs. He was malnourished when we got him. At no point during the time we've had him has he had a normal bowel movement. It's always been semi-formed/loose or diarrhea. I know that's not healthy for him.

My theory is that he still has a parasite. I don't think the vet agrees with that though. He had terrible gas and diarrhea when we got him. With the de-worming pills, the gas went away and the stools changed from diarrhea to just loose stools. Perhaps the worm medicine didn't wipe out the whole problem. I asked the vet to check for Tritrichomonas foetus, but the vet said that those kinds of parasites are extremely rare here. They said that if they send a sample to the lab, the parasite will die before it gets there... the vet did a poop-smear and looked under a microscope and found nothing. I'm aware this doesn't mean that nothing is there though. Maybe he needs to be de-wormed again?

siamesedreams

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had the same problem with one of our Siamese kitties. In fact it took months for him to have normal stools. We went the medical route, testing, anti-biotics metronidazole included, where the stool at times seemed even worse, and all the rest. They could find nothing medically wrong. We had him on Z/D for 3 months and it seemed to help settle him a little but finally a vey, very slow switch to Cal Nat chicken & Rice dry helped. He has been so much better since January, we are quite plesed at the turn around. We keep the cal nat dry as a staple and change up their wet food.....but we still limit the wet brands at the moment to Merricks, Cal Nat & Eagle Pack......every once and awhile when we try a new wet he might be a little loose but we think his system is just a little more sensitive than his sisters. She inhales anything and everything. We were really worried about him for a good 4 - 5 months......we were at the vet's bi-weekly it seemed. So far so good.

Good luck with yours!!!

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
7 Angel - Any update? My kitty was just put on this today and I'm wanting to know if your kitty ever turned around and how he/she is doing.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Flagyl often causes loose stools, in animals and humans. I was on it for an infected wound and hte doctor warned me that I might have an upset stomach (and I did!). I had two cats on it for giardia a couple years ago, and they had diarrhea, though partly caused by the parasites. It took over a month on antibiotics to get rid of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

7_angel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tamgirl99

7 Angel - Any update? My kitty was just put on this today and I'm wanting to know if your kitty ever turned around and how he/she is doing.
Flagyl (Metronidazole) didn't work for my kitty. He was on it for 9 days to improve his bowels, and while he was on it, his diarrhea got worse.

He was tested for parasites and other blood tests were run. Found nothing. I pushed for a TF test, but vet said the results would probably be inconclusive since the sample would have to be sent away. Was also told that TF is extremely rare in this country because of the lack of cattle...?

The vet agreed that we should completely stop giving Flagyl to him. He's been on several prescription diets, which didn't help his poo (I/D & L/D). His latest, which he's been on for 3 weeks has really improved his #2 quality.

No more diarrhea. He's eating a high-fiber, lower fat diet. He is not a fat kitty by any means though. But the vet thought he needed much more fiber. He's eating the Hill's prescription W/D food (typically used for overweight kitties). Significant improvement.

We are going to work on a slow switch to Calif. Naturals Chicken very soon. Seems to be the consensus that it's a good food.

I read your other post... I hope the Coccidia isn't back and hope it's not TF either. Maybe the Flagyl will work for your kitty! Best of luck!

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear your baby is doing much better now. The TF is apparently more common than most vets know. I was reading a study where cats at an international cat show were tested for TF and 1/3 of the cats had it. I was shocked that the percentage was that high but it would be higher for catteries so I guess it makes sense. Oh and there is no conclusive study to show that cats got TF from cows.

So far my kitty is doing okay on the flagyl so hopefully it won't do more harm than good. I'm just going to keep a close eye on it. I find she does better when I add a fiber supplement too so maybe our kitty's tummy's just need that extra oomph.

kittykittysick

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat had a huge diarrhea problem, you can try Tylocine. a bit more expensive. he was also on metro, for 4 months. his diarrhea stopped, but innthe end, he had soft poops. he has been off of it for a week, and his poo has never been better. he is also eating I/D, with For iFlora on it every day. try Orijen hard food. seems to have worked wonders for his bowel problems too. Terry, my cat has had diahrrea for 8 months. maybe try a stronger dose of metro since it is an anti bi tic, as there may actually be an underlying issue, even if not diagnosed. thats what happened to terry. i think we have a somewhat similar situayion. terry also had coccidia.

bars

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the same problem, the cat is on the same food almost 2 months, still soft poop. We have another kitten, and I gave the kitten a different food, Bars got diarrhea. 2 reasons : stress or he got the kitty's food?
it could be that parasite, which is hard to find, then my guess is : if it's hard to find any way, can we just get a treat , if it's there - it will die, if not - there should not be harm for the cat any way.

I guess I should check with the VET. Cat is eating Purina with chicken. What is good about the Cal Nat & Eagle Pack? Maybe I need to find something like that for my cat?
What is helping the poop to be normal? Any specific ingredient I need to look for?
Thanks!

martis mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Often young kitties can can have diarrhea for up to a year or more. We have one (7 years old now) when I rescued her as a kitten she had severe diarrhea and we went through every type of test imaginable just like you have with your kitty. About three years ago I slowly added grain free dry food to her regular dry food (Blue Wilderness) I totally weaned her off all grain type cat food (dry or wet) and she started having regular bowel movements. It wasn't over night but she made a dramatic turn. She had chronic diarrhea for 4 years!!!

She still has bouts on occasion, especially if she gets into the food for the other kitties. We have to remember to pick up any type of canned or dry food immediately unless it is Blue Buffalo, Merrick or any other brand grain free food. Most of these grain free lines do have Sensitive stomach formulas too that include probiotics, etc. But you have to slowly add it to their regular food. You can't just dump out the old food and start them 100% all at once.   Read the directions on how to measure for a wean off old food diet.

Hills Science Diet ID is loaded with corn! If your kitty has a grain intolerance it won't help at all. We did that too with that brand and Iams.

You can try the diet change plus about 12 drops of liqiud Immodium or Kaopectate twice and day (no more than 3 days) and see if that helps. The vet suggested that and some times it helps but don't use it as a crutch because it is not something to give a cat on a long term basis. Most cats will take the Ammodium or Kaopectate with some real fishy broth, if not mix it with broth and administer with a syringe. 

Tip for administering meds: Get yourself a pill crusher and ask your vet for some skinny syringes. Crush pill and slowly wet it with low sodium, fat free chicken broth with an eye dropper. Only enough to get it liquid to pull up into the syringe. Sit on the floor, scruff cat, pry open mouth gently with syringe tip and shoot the stuff down the back of the throat. Hold kitty, pet kitty, rub throat to make sure all is swallowedl. Give a treat every time. That part helps too.

If you add too much broth you risk not getting it all down. If you don't add enough the bitter taste will make the cat vomit or spit it up. I find the treat helps me know that I got the dose down.

View media item 297129

jglenn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure where to post. New here.
My cat Barney has very bad stools for quite some time. He's on Flagyl and it's gotten worse. He won't eat too. Can't give him the mess cause he has to eat. He's taking appetite pill. So he wants to eat but refuses anything that has made him sick in the past. Dr has tried several diets Z/D. I know constantly changing food doesn't help. Not sure what to do. Oh BTW he has a heart condition so it's a last resort to try steroids. I'm beside myself and don't know what to do. Jglenn