Metronidazole and HORRIBLE anxiety (or something like that)

baby may

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our second cat, Callie, has had four days of diarrhea.  She vomited up a hair tie today and I took her to the vet.  

She checked her, did some X-rays, and then decided she would give her metronidazole for diarrhea.  We were unable to get her 1/4 pill down her as soon as we got her home from the vet since she was a bit "traumatized" as usual from the car ride, etc.  She DID, however, take less than half of that 1/4 pill.  

Callie is now RUNNING all over the house, cannot settle down, can't be pet, and her anxiety is at an all time SPASTIC height.  She's like a teenager on speed.  

I've tried to find out if this is a side effect of this, and cannot find where it IS, but regardless she's not taking anymore of this stuff.  

Can anyone confirm if this is indeed an adverse reaction?  Any idea what to do other than let it wear off?

Thanks in advance.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
The closet experience I have had has been with *Liquid* metronidazole. That stuff is HORRIBLY bitter and it can cause a cat to run crazily for a bit just because of the taste, not because of the medicine itself. (Can also cause them to foam/excessively drool...that's how bitter it is.)

I could see where you could get a similar reaction if the pill dissolved in her mouth. Which it sounds it may have.

If this is the case, she should return to her normal self soon. Offer her some really smelly canned food if you have it. I often follow the liquid version up with canned baby food (Gerber stage 2 turkey) just to help get the taste out of their mouth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

baby may

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's been running and experiencing what I can only describe as serious anxiety for over three hours now so far.  She's running more slowly (but still way more than is normal for her), and even when she's trying to groom....It's all fast and furious.  She paused to pee a little while ago, and she ate a couple bites, then it was flash and dash all over again.  I've never seen anything like this.  She just tried to lay down in her favorite spot and just can't relax.  I'm afraid she's going to have a heart attack or stroke and I can't stop it.  Scary to watch, for sure. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There can be neurological side effects but normally they only appear with  long term use.  I am thinking this could be related to the stress from the vet visit rather than the medicine but to be safe you could call  your vet tomorrow.  You can get empty gel caps to put the metro in so kitty doesn't taste it.  I know they are sold at the Vitamin Shoppe and I am sure there are other places that sell them,   You can cut up the pill so you can use the smallest size gel caps,

baby may

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vet on call got back with me, finally.  She said she thinks poor Callie is having a severe neuromuscular reaction to the TEENY bit of meds she had in her mouth.  Apparently, this is rare, but could have been deadly had we actually GOTTEN the whole pill into her.  We're to watch her for seizure and try to make her eat and drink to dilute this....(easier said than done).  The vet on call said to take her to the emergency clinic if symptoms worsen (but we live over 50 miles FROM the vet and clinic).  Needless to say, I'm SUPER upset, but I wanted to post this here to let others know that apparently this stuff CAN cause severe neuromuscular issues in some cats and to beware.

I'll try to post again tomorrow to update you guys.  She's having less mania now, so I'm thinking it's starting to wear off, but the vet on call said it would be up to 48-72 hours before it was entirely out of her system. :(

baby may

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update.....Callie seems to have no lasting side effects from her med reaction.  I called the vet this morning and she and I agreed to not do anything today, and monitor the situation.  

The vet said she'd never seen a reaction like this and she is calling the manufacturer to see if they can shed light on Callie's reaction.  We're not giving her anything in that drug family ever again (as you an imagine).

However, I wanted to post that this vet asked the other vets that were in the office today and none of them had seen such a violent reaction EVER not to mention to so little of the  meds.  Thankfully, both hubby and I are retired medical people, and knew kind of what was going on early enough that we didn't keep trying to pill her with  this stuff.

SO....be aware, this CAN cause severe adverse reactions in rare cases.......apparently rare, anyhow.

I'll update if there's more to add after she calls the manufacturer, but I"m pretty sure they'll just say it was an outlier. :(  

Thanks for the help. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your kitty does seem to very very sensitive to metro.  My IBD kitty has been on metro a few times.  The only thing I could find on the internet was neurological side effects after long term use or with an overdose.  I would imagine that some kitties like some humans are especially sensitive to a medication.  I am so glad your kitty seems to have weathered it and come out of it okay.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for posting an update. I'm glad Callie has calmed down now! How is her diarrhea after all this?

baby may

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So far, she's not had ANY potty time yet.  She's slept most of the morning on her chair.  After such a wild ride last night, I'm not surprised.  BUT...she's eating well and she drank some water earlier, so she'll have to go eventually........

I know this was a highly irregular event, but I figured the more info I can provide to the "group" the better.....just in case someone else has this issue.  

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know that it can cause psychological issues in humans. I had a friend who had to take it for giardia, and he said it was one of the worst things he ever had to endure. It caused him to have extreme mood swings.

2catlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the posts.  My cat was just on this drug with no side effects and it seemed to do the trick with his issues.  I am sorry you had this happen and I will be careful if or when this drug is ever prescribed for my cats in the future.  The vet said it was prescribed for upset tummy and diarrhea.

Glad your cat is doing better.