MetLife Pet Insurance?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been reading the threads on pet insurance, and haven't seen MetLife mentioned. I'm curious if anyone has it and if it's any good. I can get it through my work and have the premiums deducted from my pay just like my insurance. It seems to cover just about everything, and I'm seriously considering getting it, but I want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing (picking the right company). There seem to be a bunch of them out there, and the costs are roughly the same.

Thanks for your input.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, if it's anything like their people insurance, don't bother...my dad's a dentist and has almost nothing but bad experiences with MetLife.

I've always heard that pound for pound, you're better off putting your $$ in a savings account than getting pet insurance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tip, I'm glad I asked before I bought!

I could never put away enough if something truly serious hits, that's why I was hoping pet insurance would be a good answer, and to get it while they're healthy.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you looked into prgrams like Care Credit, or even better, the possibility of "bartering" with your vet should something catastrophic happen?

I had a friend who stuffed envelopes and repainted exam rooms for several months in order to work off her tab. Definitely something to look into.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind if I need it. Hopefully I won't need to worry about it, at least not for a very long time.

leslie battle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MetLife does not and never did sell pet insurance.  It has agency relationships with third party providers, such as Veterinary Pet Insurance Company (Brea CA) and National Casualty Company (Madison, WI), both now Nationwide companies, and Praetorian Insurance Company (NJ). MetLife agents refer their group and non-group customers to such third party providers and such third parties are responsible solely for the sale, underwriting, and servicing of such policies. It would be wise to follow up with these providers directly with your questions. 

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been reading the threads on pet insurance, and haven't seen MetLife mentioned. I'm curious if anyone has it and if it's any good. I can get it through my work and have the premiums deducted from my pay just like my insurance. It seems to cover just about everything, and I'm seriously considering getting it, but I want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing (picking the right company). There seem to be a bunch of them out there, and the costs are roughly the same.

Thanks for your input.
Hi

i always tell people the same thing. go to www.petinsurancereview.com and you will see all the companies reviewed, some with aweful reviews and some with great ones.  I got one of the great ones and I've been very happy :)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ugh, if it's anything like their people insurance, don't bother...my dad's a dentist and has almost nothing but bad experiences with MetLife.

I've always heard that pound for pound, you're better off putting your $$ in a savings account than getting pet insurance.
I agree, I had my car insurance with MetLife and ditched them. Their customer service is terrible. I still have life insurance through them but only because I have it through my benefits at work and that's who they use. I'd never pick them on my own.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My neighbor has had wonderful luck with the ASPCA policy, and I am planning to use them, but I'm also certainly going to that review site first!

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My neighbor has had wonderful luck with the ASPCA policy, and I am planning to use them, but I'm also certainly going to that review site first!
They dont fair well on the review site, and check out this yelp review.  http://www.yelp.com/biz/aspca-pet-health-insurance-akron.

This is the list based on user reviews at www.petsinsurancereview.com

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, ASPCA seems to be in the middle of the pack, but since I may well have recurrences with the pancreatitis, I think I want somewhat better than "middle of the pack."  I will be exploring this in depth after this weekend, when things are a bit calmer.  Thanks for the link!  Kept me from possibly making a mistake with my girl's health care!

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Question - are all  pet insurance policies just reimbursement only?    Are there any policies that will just pay the vet directly instead of you paying everything upfront and then reimbursing you (hopefully) later on?

Just wondering, because I haven't found any pet insurance that will just pay the vet directly at the time of service.   So to me, it seems to be a better deal to just sock away the money that you would otherwise be paying every month in premiums and put it in a savings account for emergency vet needs.   How awful would it be to have pet insurance, but then not be able to pay the vet for the cost of treatment?   That part really scares me - so I focus on having enough money put away in case of an emergency so it's not even an issue.

But, if anyone out there knows of a pet insurance company that will directly pay the vet, let me know and I would gladly look into it!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Question - are all pet insurance policies just reimbursement only?    Are there any policies that will just pay the vet directly instead of you paying everything upfront and then reimbursing you (hopefully) later on?

Just wondering, because I haven't found any pet insurance that will just pay the vet directly at the time of service.   So to me, it seems to be a better deal to just sock away the money that you would otherwise be paying every month in premiums and put it in a savings account for emergency vet needs.   How awful would it be to have pet insurance, but then not be able to pay the vet for the cost of treatment?   That part really scares me - so I focus on having enough money put away in case of an emergency so it's not even an issue.

But, if anyone out there knows of a pet insurance company that will directly pay the vet, let me know and I would gladly look into it!
I'm curious about this as well.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Question - are all  pet insurance policies just reimbursement only?    Are there any policies that will just pay the vet directly instead of you paying everything upfront and then reimbursing you (hopefully) later on?

I don't think there are any companies that pay up front to the vet.

ryan moalemi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have Trupanion for our two fur-babies. We got it before they had any health issues and it's paid 90% of their medical costs. They did deny two claims I think but overall, they've been way more reliable than I would have ever guessed a pet insurance company to be. 

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 24PetWatch because Mingo was adopted from the humane society, and that's what they used. My fees ($16 per month) keep his microchip up to date. 24PetWatch isn't rated very high, but one of the reviews said that they would pay the vet directly. I haven't needed to use it, so I can't tell you.

Everyone knows that self-insuring by putting the money into a savings account is the way to go, but the thing is, nobody ever does it. I wouldn't remember to deposit the money each month.

Last edited: