Methimazole/Tapizole/Thiamozal dosage for hyperthyroid cats

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have tried to search for this information but can't find anything specific.
One of my senior cats got diagnosed with hyperthyroidism 2 weeks ago. We have been advised to start him on liquid Methimazole (thiamozole on our bottle). But I can't find information if the dosage needs to be given before or after food. Since it is liquid, I can give our cat the medication directly in his mouth. I just don't know if I should wait a certain amount of time before or he eats.
We were told to wait 12 hours between doses (he gets 2 doses of 0.5 ml each) but that seems to be very difficult for our lifestyle. I was thinking of giving him the medicine one hour before or after he eats.
Any experience or advice for the exact time? I do know he has to have it the same time every day.
Also, he will be going in for radio iodine therapy in the summer. Till then, he has to remain on medication.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Fiona was on Felimazole and the only way she would take it was crushed in food. Having said that, she lived for years with the condition. Had I known that she would do so well I would have done the radio iodine, in fact.

Can you ask your vet? It sounds like you were not given all the info that you need.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, our vet is really bad at returning phone calls. We are having to email questions and then, they will get back to us whenever they can. This is because they were working at minimal capacity due to coronavirus. I am still waiting on answers for my other cat who was at the vet last week. Thankfully, he is improving so it is not urgent.
I will call on Monday. Till then, I will dose him 2-3 hours after he has eaten.

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have tried to search for this information but can't find anything specific.
One of my senior cats got diagnosed with hyperthyroidism 2 weeks ago. We have been advised to start him on liquid Methimazole (thiamozole on our bottle). But I can't find information if the dosage needs to be given before or after food. Since it is liquid, I can give our cat the medication directly in his mouth. I just don't know if I should wait a certain amount of time before or he eats.
We were told to wait 12 hours between doses (he gets 2 doses of 0.5 ml each) but that seems to be very difficult for our lifestyle. I was thinking of giving him the medicine one hour before or after he eats.
Any experience or advice for the exact time? I do know he has to have it the same time every day.
Also, he will be going in for radio iodine therapy in the summer. Till then, he has to remain on medication.
I gave my cat Methimizole. It did not matter if it was before or after food. I would just squirt the syringe dose in his mouth in the morning before work. And his second dose in the evening before bed. 12 hours apart. While hypothyroid can be deadly, the Methimizole was the one simple medicine that saved his life. He went on for many years after and did not pass away of Hypothyroidism. The medicine was spectacular treatment for his condition.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats on methimazole, but the pill, not a liquid. I give it to them after breakfast and dinner. They tolerate it well.

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave my cat Methimizole. It did not matter if it was before or after food. I would just squirt the syringe dose in his mouth in the morning before work. And his second dose in the evening before bed. 12 hours apart. While hypothyroid can be deadly, the Methimizole was the one simple medicine that saved his life. He went on for many years after and did not pass away of Hypothyroidism. The medicine was spectacular treatment for his condition.
So it has to be 12 hours apart? And it doesn't matter if he eats right after the medicine? I take a thyroid medication and I can't eat for an hour after taking it so I thought it was the same for the cat.

michele spontak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So it has to be 12 hours apart? And it doesn't matter if he eats right after the medicine? I take a thyroid medication and I can't eat for an hour after taking it so I thought it was the same for the cat.
This did not matter for my cat. He ate whenever he wanted and did beautifully. If there was a guideline like this, my vet didn't mention it.

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. This was very helpful.