methimazole for cat hypothyroidism..

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
can i buy this for my cat online somewhere?  need it asap

my cat has been on that daily for 5 years.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a prescription, at least in the US.

Have you gone to your vet? Is your cat out of them now? It's important not to disrupt the therapy. I learned the hard way just missing a few doses can cause the T4 to spike.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I cant get them from my vet til monday or tuesday.  This being saturday. Not that i am rich but i may buy them online and pay an overnight delivery charge.

i live in the middle of nowhere, my vet is an hour away. a 24 hour vet is 3 hours away

Last edited:

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure where you are located, but if in the US even an online company needs to contact your vet for an rx. So regardless of shipping overnight, it will likely still take a few days that way.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Out of curiosity, was looking to see if it was prescription in Canada, and it is. No getting around needing a prescription unfortunately.

Is there any way you can get a hold of the vet and see if they can call in a prescription to your local pharmacy?

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I cant get them from my vet til monday or tuesday.  This being saturday. Not that i am rich but i may buy them online and pay an overnight delivery charge.

i live in the middle of nowhere, my vet is an hour away. a 24 hour vet is 3 hours away
It is likely that you already explored this, but does you vet have a phone service? would he be willing to email you a prescription so you can pick it up someplace else?

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise

It is likely that you already explored this, but does you vet have a phone service? would he be willing to email you a prescription so you can pick it up someplace else?
Not sure if this rule applies to animals as well as humans (assuming it does though), but I know with humans, a pharmacy cannot legally accept a prescription from a patient that was faxed or sent electronically. They can only send faxes and electronic prescriptions straight to the pharmacy.

With that said, if the OP can get a hold of the vet, they can send a prescription to the pharmacy via whatever method they choose. Usually fax or electronic, but some will actually call it in too.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Another thought - do you already get the methimazole through a pharmacy, or through your vet directly? If it's through a pharmacy (the brick-and-mortar type), you can possibly go ask if they can give you a five-day supply. Some pharmacies will do that if you've already had that drug filled there before. I don't know if ALL pharmacies do it, I know of a couple of chains that do, but not sure if it's common practice across the retail pharmacy industry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone, took care of it today. And all your replies helped in the formation of my path of action.

Got a bottle of 100 now from a vet.

I am tired of the high costs of vets

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
I get it, but we're paying for their experience and education.

I'm glad you were able to get the pills for your baby.