Metamucil To Prevent Anal Gland Issues

hypertweeky81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I am wondering if it is ok to add 1/4 of Metamucil to my cat’s food as a prevention for anal gland issues.

My tabby has had 3 episodes in the last 5 years. All three times required lancing and draining. My gorgeous orange tabby is 14 and weights 15 pounds (he is a chunkster!). He is on wet food only; Tiki chicken and egg twice a day. He gets soft treats after tooth brushing (I am so proud of this lol).
On Saturday his bum looked red and a pinkish liquid substance came out of what I think it is one of anal glands. I gave him Silica 30C and within a few hours more came out. It was not thick, or stinky. So I am thinking I caught it early. What do you think?
I do feed him a spoonful of canned pumpkin every other day. I think the culprit was the dental treats: virbac CET. These treats are thick and he barely chews them.

Any help or suggestions you can provide are greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hellocomputer:. That quite a handsome boy you've got there!

I'm not sure from what you describe if that was an anal gland issue or not, because from what I've always heard, anal gland excretion is terribly stinky. Mind you, this is just what I've heard...I've never experience it myself.

I don't see any harm in giving Metamucil, but since you're already giving pumpkin, this might be overkill. Why not try to find a different treat, if you think the treats are the problem. I get that they are CET for cleaning his teeth, but since you brush them already (congrats on that), maybe a nice grain free treat like Purebites or Wholelife would be better on his system? You might try that and see how it goes.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you check the glands yourself weekly or so and empty them if needed? That may prevent future issues.

Anal gland secretions are not pink. They are brownish and super stinky and come out from just below the anus opening in their own separate openings. Pink liquid could be blood from the anus.

If you think the CET treats are the issue, withhold giving the treats for a week or so. If the problem persists, then it it not caused by the treats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hypertweeky81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hellocomputer:. That quite a handsome boy you've got there!

I'm not sure from what you describe if that was an anal gland issue or not, because from what I've always heard, anal gland excretion is terribly stinky. Mind you, this is just what I've heard...I've never experience it myself.

I don't see any harm in giving Metamucil, but since you're already giving pumpkin, this might be overkill. Why not try to find a different treat, if you think the treats are the problem. I get that they are CET for cleaning his teeth, but since you brush them already (congrats on that), maybe a nice grain free treat like Purebites or Wholelife would be better on his system? You might try that and see how it goes.

Thank you for the compliment! He is a good looking tabby, huh! I could try Metamucil, skip the pumpkin and also skip the big treats. I looked online but I could not find anything regarding these treats and bum issues! I do have purebites :)
As far as brushing teeth, it took about 3 weeks. Not bad at all huh? Now he gets excited when he sees the brush. It’s adorable!

Thanks again!!

hypertweeky81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you check the glands yourself weekly or so and empty them if needed? That may prevent future issues.

Anal gland secretions are not pink. They are brownish and super stinky and come out from just below the anus opening in their own separate openings. Pink liquid could be blood from the anus.

If you think the CET treats are the issue, withhold giving the treats for a week or so. If the problem persists, then it it not caused by the treats.

Hi! Thank you for your advice.
What would cause a pinkish bloody discharge then? Could it be from pushing out a bigger than usual feces?

Thank you again!

hypertweeky81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update. I noticed a lot of swelling by his bum this am so I took him in and the vet lanced both glands :( He has to wear the cone of shame for a week and he has been sleeping on me all day. I am so sad!
Have you ever tried Glandex? Does it work well for cats?

Attachments

kristenann

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a kitty with anal gland issues as well. I give him Glandex daily but it really doesn't seem to help which is frustrating considering he has good quality firm stool.

Therefore, I think it's unlikely a certain treat is causing your cats issues as well. Most cats can normally express their anal sacs with defecation, but some can't.

I do external anal sac expressions for my kitty at home. You can ask your vet for instructions on how to do it and when it's okay to start but by regularly expressing them you can prevent his from getting abscesses again.

I put my kitty in a towel burrito and have my husband hold then then you just apply pressure near the anal opening. Then he gets a quick booty bathe and he's good for a couple weeks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Sorry about your kitty's anal gland issues. In addition to kristenann kristenann 's suggestion about learning how to express anal glands, you can try to use wipes daily to clean his behind for him - the stimulation from the wipes might be enough to make a difference. I use unscented hypo-allergenic wipes that I buy from PetSmart.

But, be sure to ask the vet what to look for in terms of them building back up again, so you can determine whether the wipes are helpful at all, and whether it is time to put your newly learned 'talent' into action.

hypertweeky81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitty with anal gland issues as well. I give him Glandex daily but it really doesn't seem to help which is frustrating considering he has good quality firm stool.

Therefore, I think it's unlikely a certain treat is causing your cats issues as well. Most cats can normally express their anal sacs with defecation, but some can't.

I do external anal sac expressions for my kitty at home. You can ask your vet for instructions on how to do it and when it's okay to start but by regularly expressing them you can prevent his from getting abscesses again.

I put my kitty in a towel burrito and have my husband hold then then you just apply pressure near the anal opening. Then he gets a quick booty bathe and he's good for a couple weeks.
I am sorry to hear about your cat’s anal gland issues. It is unusual in cats from what I have read. Thank you for your kind words and advice. I am hoping the glandex will work for him, but if it doesn’t I am going to have to learn the booty bathe (chuckle) maneuver!

Thanks again!

hypertweeky81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Sorry about your kitty's anal gland issues. In addition to kristenann kristenann 's suggestion about learning how to express anal glands, you can try to use wipes daily to clean his behind for him - the stimulation from the wipes might be enough to make a difference. I use unscented hypo-allergenic wipes that I buy from PetSmart.

But, be sure to ask the vet what to look for in terms of them building back up again, so you can determine whether the wipes are helpful at all, and whether it is time to put your newly learned 'talent' into action.
Thank you for suggesting the wipes. I will give that a try as well. I am hoping the glandex works. He has had 4 episodes in the last 4 years. It seems to be once a year.

Thanks again!!

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anal gland issues are often caused by soft stools (as the stool passes through it should cause the anal glands to work correctly, ie express normally, if the stool is firm), so perhaps trying to sort out his diet so that his stools are a better consistency may help?

My Sonic had to have his anal glands emptied once or twice when he was younger, because he is sensitive to some foods which make his stools slightly loose, it took us a while to figure out what was causing the issue. We have identified those foodstuffs and cut them out of his diet, and he has not had an anal gland problem since (10+ years).

I hope you manage to figure something out for your kitty!

hypertweeky81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update!
He has a scab down there and he is still wearing the cone. I plan to keep it on until the scab falls off. What do you think?
I have been applying camomile tea soaked compress twice a day to speed up the healing process.
I don’t know if the glandex is working since he has only been on it for 7 days (tomorrow). I have noticed the poop is bulkier and it has more ridges than before. He has averaged one BM per day.

chris gadbois

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, My girl Jinxy Doodles has a sensitive stomach. It took me a long time to find a food that didn't give her diarrhea. (Merrick Limited Ingredient)....Sometimes she has soft stools still and a couple times I've had to take her and have her glands expresses. (when she eats some of the other cats food). Anyway, I give her 1/8 tsp of Organic powdered Psyllium Husk (sp?) once a day. It's the same stuff that Metamucil is made of, just nothing extra. She takes nice monster sized solid poops now. I haven't had to get her glands expresses since we started with this. I also take her 2-3 times a year to have her 'sanitary area' shaved down. This just helps her ability to clean herself. My vet only charges $20 to bring her in for the shave....totally worth it. Best of luck.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the ones who think that soft stools are part of the problem. Because of that, don't give him Metamucil, which will make them softer. You need a bulky firm stool to express the glands naturally, which the Glandex seems to be doing. Learning to do it yourself will also help.

hypertweeky81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update!

The scab came off and he is free from the cone. The glandex has made a difference in his stool. It is bulkier and while he has to push a little harder, it is not strenuous.
I hope it works!! Thank you everyone for your advice. We are having a lazy caturday!