Messy cone

DoodleStrudle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat mochi recently was spayed then had an infection and is now wearing a cone. Everything was all good, i planned to just let her eat her dry food for the next week but my mom insisted i try and do her wet food i had to kinda spoon feed her wet food which made a small mess but was cleanable.
Then came the after dinner restroom...
I pulled the top of her litter box off so she could have cone room. Was glad she started using the restroom then oh lordy.. she turned to hide her poo and plop got a nice bit on her cone! I managed this time to get its cleaned as much as i could.
now i have two cones and i would take this one off and put on her other while i clean this one good but thats the problem its too hard for us to get it on her and had to have the help of a vet to get this one on.

any suggestions? I really rather not have her go around with a gross cone but it is also difficult to put on a new one.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
You can always (temporarily) gently wrap an ACE bandage around her midsection to keep her from getting to the incision site.
If you decide to go this route, just know that you should monitor her so she doesn't get the Ace wrap caught on anything, and you'll have to remove it so air can get to the incision site. But, it's an easy, temporary fix.
*Edit - forgot to mention this is in place of having the cone on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DoodleStrudle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can always (temporarily) gently wrap an ACE bandage around her midsection to keep her from getting to the incision site.
If you decide to go this route, just know that you should monitor her so she doesn't get the Ace wrap caught on anything, and you'll have to remove it so air can get to the incision site. But, it's an easy, temporary fix.
*Edit - forgot to mention this is in place of having the cone on.
We were thinking doing this baby onesie trick-
as she seamed okay with the makeshift sock contraption we had to do for a bit before we could get her infection checked today. It may be something ill have to discuss with mom first because I really dont wanna have to deal with a poo cone every day 😂🙃 but the cone has been helping with restricting her a bit too. Hopefully we can get something figured out as they left her incision a lil open due to the infection and it needs to heal back up before she can be free. Its doing much better though, looks sooo much better.

DoodleStrudle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We were thinking doing this baby onesie trick-
as she seamed okay with the makeshift sock contraption we had to do for a bit before we could get her infection checked today. It may be something ill have to discuss with mom first because I really dont wanna have to deal with a poo cone every day 😂🙃 but the cone has been helping with restricting her a bit too. Hopefully we can get something figured out as they left her incision a lil open due to the infection and it needs to heal back up before she can be free. Its doing much better though, looks sooo much better.
Ive been told were gonna try and wait till shes closed up more before we try the onesie, preferably wait 7 days.

Ellis75

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What kind of cone do you have? You could try getting a wrap around velcro cone if you don't have that kind already. When you want to take off the dirty cone, put the velcro one on around it, so she's wearing two cones for a second. Then take the dirty cone off, leaving the clean one on. It makes it a little bit easier to get the cone on.

DoodleStrudle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What kind of cone do you have? You could try getting a wrap around velcro cone if you don't have that kind already. When you want to take off the dirty cone, put the velcro one on around it, so she's wearing two cones for a second. Then take the dirty cone off, leaving the clean one on. It makes it a little bit easier to get the cone on.
We were given the plastic cone with the string to tie it.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did the onesie the day after with Delilah and she was fine. Making a onesie didn't work for us. I got her a surgical onesie online. Make sure you get one with a drawstring neck. I got one without and Delilah squirmed out of it when I wasn't looking.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089SNSHXZ/?tag=thecatsite

The sizing is hard to judge. She seemed like a small but took a medium IIRC.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's had the cone on for more than three days you can probably get rid of it. A week at the most. I would wet a rag with some Cat Enzyme Urine Destroyer and wet the poo and then wipe it off. the enzyme gets rid of smell and poo.

DoodleStrudle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she's had the cone on for more than three days you can probably get rid of it. A week at the most. I would wet a rag with some Cat Enzyme Urine Destroyer and wet the poo and then wipe it off. the enzyme gets rid of smell and poo.
Shes only had it on two days so far, we plan to try and wait till shes closed back up and pretty healed as where she had the infection they didnt re glue. Luckily she has started scabbing back over and its looking a lot better should only be a few more days in the cone. If she starts to mess with it afterwards we might have to try either putting the cone back on or im gonna see about ordering a recovery suit for her.

DoodleStrudle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I did the onesie the day after with Delilah and she was fine. Making a onesie didn't work for us. I got her a surgical onesie online. Make sure you get one with a drawstring neck. I got one without and Delilah squirmed out of it when I wasn't looking.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089SNSHXZ/?tag=thecatsite

The sizing is hard to judge. She seemed like a small but took a medium IIRC.
Im gonna see about getting one of these for in case after we take her cone off in a few days and she starts licking again. I know my mom will probably say oh a little licking is fine and that shes on antibiotics, but id personally feel safer if she was covered till shes done healing, rather not risk the infection flaring back up 🙃

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
1615361824258.jpeg

Jum wore a surgical onesie in this type of style for a week after her spay, which is standard procedure where I live, and she had no issue. Just make sure the knots are snug, but not too constricting. I also tied “dead knots” on so they wouldn’t untie as she romped around, and I just cut the knots when she was ready to be out of it :>

DoodleStrudle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
View attachment 372855
Jum wore a surgical onesie in this type of style for a week after her spay, which is standard procedure where I live, and she had no issue. Just make sure the knots are snug, but not too constricting. I also tied “dead knots” on so they wouldn’t untie as she romped around, and I just cut the knots when she was ready to be out of it :>
Oo thats pretty smart to do! Sadly my cat is a big struggler when it comes to trying to do something like this and she might escape before we can get her tied in but if it comes to it, it wouldn’t hurt to try

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Im gonna see about getting one of these for in case after we take her cone off in a few days and she starts licking again. I know my mom will probably say oh a little licking is fine and that shes on antibiotics, but id personally feel safer if she was covered till shes done healing, rather not risk the infection flaring back up 🙃
Delilah's first surgery, I got her into it about 3 days after (when it arrived). Second surgery she had already gotten her cone off in the carrier. I got the onesie on her as soon as she got home. She was in them for about 3 weeks.

If you get one without a drawstring make sure you do something to tighten up the neck (safety pin or add your own drawstring). Delilah struggled a bit, but once you pop her neck and head through the holes, you just velcro or snap the back.