Merricks new formula canned cat food

B4dawn64

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that has an allergy to fish. I have a very hard time finding a can cat food without fish and one she likes. Merrick had one of the farm varieties the turkey that she really liked it had cinnamon in it and it was a godsend for us. Well, they changed the recipe and they put salmon oil into it. I am so upset by this because she is so picky. We have tried Blue Buffalo and the Purrfect Bistro and she refuses both. And of course the limited ingredient brand they make is far more expensive and I doubt that she's going to like it because I'm sure we've tried in the past. I've spent hours at the specialty Pet Shops reading little tiny labels making sure they don't have fish oil. She has IBS along with this fish allergy. She is on steroid treatment and has been for 7 years. If anybody out there has any other suggestions please send them my way. I believe it's the texture of the other foods that she doesn't like and the smell or aroma because they all smell pretty bad. The Merrick Farm what the cinnamon actually smell pretty good. Thank you.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Welcome to the cat site! :hellosmiley:

Don't quote me on this but I'm fairly certain that salmon oil is okay for a kitty with a fish allergy. (If not someone please correct me) The same as Chicken bone broth is okay for a cat with a chicken allergy. Charlie has IBS and a chicken allergy. I feed him proper chicken broth (Made from bones only - no meat in it) and he's not had any reactions.

LTS3 LTS3 can you answer about the salmon oil being okay for a fish allergy? Did you have an IBD / IBS kitty I think?

Allergies stem from the protein itself, or in some cases a specific carb, so, if I'm remember correctly - she should be okay with salmon oil.

Have you seen this: CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

and Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients

The above is a complex spreadsheet done by two awesome users here and between those two things - lifesaver for looking up foods that Charlie might eat. (Picky eater extraordinaire. Took me three years to get him to eat something / anything different - so we could do a food trial.) If you haven't seen them already - check them out as they are an incredible resource for people in our situation.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Many cat food companies online will send you samples. My cat also does not like fish. She eats Canidae Frontier Trail Chicken,Canidae duck chicken in gravy,and Rawz turkey or chicken. Not cheap

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fish oil may not may not cause the same reaction as fish. You may want to avoid feeding food containing fish oils just in case. Avoid chicken and junk fllers as well as many IBS / IBD cats are sensitive to those.

Cats with IBD / IBD generally do best on LID type foods. Besides Blue Buffalo, there are other brands of LID foods:

Cat Food - Limited Ingredient Diet - Kohapet
Instinct Limited Ingredient Diet | Instinct Pet Food
RAWZ | 100% Rendered Free Cat Food

NutriSource Pet Foods

A home cooked or raw (commerical brand or from recipe) are also options worth looking into.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As everyone else said, allergies are typically to the protein in the food your allergic too. Not the fat or oil so it shouldn’t have any effect. There are also plenty of fish free foods on the market so if you need any of us to search for them just let us know I’m sure we’ll all be more than happy to help u out