Merrick's Before Grain or Wellness Core?

qatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got an itchy kitty and the vet thinks it might be due to fish oil sensitivity.  I've been feeding Shadow Evo 95% chicken and turkey for some time but recently she's started scratching her ears bloody.  Nothing has changed in the house in terms of cleaners, litter, etc. so I'm going to try switching foods - does anyone have opinions on Merrick's Before Grain 96% turkey or Wellness Core chicken and turkey?  Thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

qatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just noticed that Wellness Core has salmon oil in it - I didn't see that before

So, what about the regular grain free wellness? 

To add:  Shadow has a history of food sensitivities.  She had been having diarrhea with a number of foods until I started giving her grain-free canned food.  But, any fish meal makes her throw up, which is why the vet is wondering about the fish oil added to Evo 95%.  I'm a bit concerned about the added vegetables in the regular wellness grainfree and would prefer to stay with as high a protein/meat content as possible. 

Last edited:

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Between Wellness CORE and Merrick Before Grain I'd go with the Before Grain.

Here's why:

-Merrick Before Grain has a much more simple ingredient list

-Wellness CORE has a very high carbohydrate content while the Merrick Before Grain has a very low carbohydrate content

-I have a bit more trust in Merrick than I do in the company that makes Wellness

-Wellness (dry AND canned) has been known to cause more urinary tract issues (crystals/blockages) than most other cat food brands

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree! Definitely the Before Grain (BG) 96% chicken is a hit with mine, Wellness not so much, plus what furryfriends50 said about the ingredients.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you talking about canned or dry? Because the Wellness Core canned food, on a dry matter basis, has the lowest carbs possible in a canned food at 1.8%. But Merrick compares well at 2.3%. Have you looked at Nature's Variety Instincts stuff? NV's Instinct grain-free canned foods also have simple ingredient lists, and are just 2% carbs.

No fish in the NV cans: http://www.naturesvariety.com/Instinct/cat/can/chicken

NV has no guar or carageenan: Merrick B.G. has both. To my one kitty still eating canned food, I feed all four (Wellness grain-free, not core, B.G., N.V., and EVO). I prefer rotating so she gets a variety of manufacturers for the ingredient variety, as well as rotating proteins.

qatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all - I should have mentioned that I'm looking for the canned varieties.  I had the impression that Merrick's wasn't

highly regarded but I guess I was wrong.  I picked up a few cans today of the BG turkey and Shadow loves it but she

pretty much loves anything she finds in her bowl.

LDG - I didn't know about Nature's Variety but it does look good and I'll try some.   I'm also going to start rotating foods,

but sticking with poultry based foods for now based on suggestions from my vet.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Going off the numbers provided to me from the companies six months ago (all numbers on a dry matter basis...provided by the company):

1.23% Before Grain 96% Beef

2.29% Before Grain 96% Quail & Chicken

2.39% Before Grain 96% Tuna

2.80% Before Grain 96 % Turkey

2.95% Before Grain 96% Salmon

3.01% Before Grain 96 % Chicken

11.12% Wellness CORE Chicken, Turkey, & Chicken Liver

16.93% Wellness CORE Salmon, Whitefish, & Herring

13.00% Nature’s Variety Instinct 95% Duck

15.00% Nature’s Variety Instinct 95% Beef

15.00% Nature’s Variety Instinct 95% Chicken

15.00% Nature’s Variety Instinct 95% Lamb

But...compared to the "limited ingredient" versions of Natural Balance those are not bad at all - the Natural Balance ones range from 36-42% carbs.
Are you talking about canned or dry? Because the Wellness Core canned food, on a dry matter basis, has the lowest carbs possible in a canned food at 1.8%. But Merrick compares well at 2.3%. Have you looked at Nature's Variety Instincts stuff? NV's Instinct grain-free canned foods also have simple ingredient lists, and are just 2% carbs.
No fish in the NV cans: http://www.naturesvariety.com/Instinct/cat/can/chicken
NV has no guar or carageenan: Merrick B.G. has both. To my one kitty still eating canned food, I feed all four (Wellness grain-free, not core, B.G., N.V., and EVO). I prefer rotating so she gets a variety of manufacturers for the ingredient variety, as well as rotating proteins.

qatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm amazed that canned foods with supposedly 95-96% meat could vary so much in carbs.  I thought they were

all very low and roughly the same. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Going off the numbers provided to me from the companies six months ago (all numbers on a dry matter basis...provided by the company):

1.23% Before Grain 96% Beef
2.29% Before Grain 96% Quail & Chicken
2.39% Before Grain 96% Tuna
2.80% Before Grain 96 % Turkey
2.95% Before Grain 96% Salmon
3.01% Before Grain 96 % Chicken

11.12% Wellness CORE Chicken, Turkey, & Chicken Liver
16.93% Wellness CORE Salmon, Whitefish, & Herring

13.00% Nature’s Variety Instinct 95% Duck
15.00% Nature’s Variety Instinct 95% Beef
15.00% Nature’s Variety Instinct 95% Chicken
15.00% Nature’s Variety Instinct 95% Lamb

But...compared to the "limited ingredient" versions of Natural Balance those are not bad at all - the Natural Balance ones range from 36-42% carbs.
I knew the carb information could be off because the guaranteed analysis listed on websites/cans lists minimums and maximums - but to be THAT far off? Wow.

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HI

Do you have a study or something that provides this information? Just curious. One of my cat's wet foods (in his rotation of wet foods) is Wellness.

-Wellness (dry AND canned) has been known to cause more urinary tract issues (crystals/blockages) than most other cat food brands

qatz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just thought I'd update this - I've been feeding Shadow Before Grain Turkey canned food now for about a month and

the itchies have stopped! 

I'm going to start mixing in some of the chicken and quail varieties now that it looks like the fish oil may have been the

prime factor.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are currently eating BG for breakfast.  However, they aren't too enthusiastic about it, I don't think.  They liked it at first, but it was new and because their prefferred TOTW had been recalled.  I think they like Wellness Core better?  Someone gave me a coupon for Halo Spot's Stew Turkey... I got a free bag and they really like it.  I know a lot of people won't agree because it has fruit in it but they are very enthusiastic about it.  So after they are finished with the BG I think I will be adding Halo to the list of foods they like if TOTW is not available... It can be the 3rd runner up!