Meropenem Antibiotic For Uti - Diarrhea For Months

joyrachael

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My kitty Mandy was given Meropenem anti biotic for 3 weeks in July. She has been off of it for two months. Her stomach is still not right! If I don't give her S. Boulardi she has diarrhea. I ordered Animal Biome poop pills and hopefully that will help. Can the side effects from an anti biotic last for months after the treatment stopped? She always had the best digestion!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joyrachael

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not really. One of the vets at the animal hospital I took her to said he has seen some cats be affected for months after taking anti biotics!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's not good, but I guess they aren't nutritionists ...? So, the gut bacteria can't seem to recover? I don't know, but would a different food help? Or not, --what a quandary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

joyrachael

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's not good, but I guess they aren't nutritionists ...? So, the gut bacteria can't seem to recover? I don't know, but would a different food help? Or not, --what a quandary.
Yes they don't know. I don't think her bacteria can recover yet. I am feeding her plain cooked chicken. I can't give her the "completer" I usually mix in with it. I have a good feeling about this "Poopbiotic" that I'm waiting to arrive. I pray it helps her!!!! :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would strongly suggest trying some fancy feast canned pate style as soon as possible. Her system needs the balanced nutrients, minerals, vitamins that are available in commercial canned food.