Merlin overweight & Merlin and Quinn eating Zena’s food

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am wondering if anyone has issue like this? Merlin was overweight when I took him in and I managed to get him to lose a bit. But eventually he gained more, he hounds me all day long for food and sounds like a screeching infant when he gets riled up. He will come right up to me and meow, harass me etc. He has a food obsession because he is certainly well fed.

They eat a home cooked diet with some canned foods which is the only food they can eat without getting runs. I put pumpkin in for fiber but any grains, psyllium and they have a reaction. I smush his and Quinn’s food flat onto the plate so they will eat more slowly, they still gobble it up as quickly as they can and then they go for Zena’s food. Quinn will even eat only some of his food and then go for everyone else’s food too, he did that with Merlin but it was ok then because M needed to lose weight.

Zena is younger, he was recently rescued by me from outside and I think he is still growing and needs to eat more. But he is very non dominant about his food and just lets them eat it. Then he asks me for more, and the whole cycle starts again. I literally have to stand guard over his food while he eats and yell at Merlin and Quinn not to eat his food lol. A couple of times I have carried Merlin and put him in the bathroom but Quinn lets him out of there or he gets out before I can close the door. I can carry him into the garage and lock the cat door but it’s a real hassle.

They all like to eat together and I think it’s good for Zena’s socialization. I don’t know what to do about this issue. I can’t fully pick up Zena yet so I can’t put him in another room to eat by himself and I think he would get very upset by that anyway. Quinn eats on the kitchen table so nobody else can get at his food because they don’t go up there. Quinn and Zena are not overweight. Merlin is a big cat but def overweight.

I’m taking Merlin to Dvm for a check up and to make sure nothing is wrong that may be causing him to apparently be gaining even more weight. I asked one dvm there about it when I took Quinn in but she said to feed him food he does not like and he will eat less 😹, she had no real solution. I hope they have more suggestions than an rx diet that we can’t use.

I have never had an overweight cat before. They all seemed to naturally keep a healthy weight and were not apparently starving all the time. I think it is some sort of obsession with M maybe. He will play and does run around a lot with his brothers but he is a bit more sedentary than them maybe.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spread Merlin and Quinn's food out over a large plate, cookie-sheet or slow-feeder. Feed Zena up on something, like a counter or table.
Thanks 😀

I don’t think I can realistically do that, they are fed several times a day and it would be too hard to do, cleaning up cookie sheets etc. I do smush it flat on a large flat medium plate.

Maybe I will try it once with them on the floor and see what happens. They eat on raised dish holders due to eating too fast and a cookie tin would not fit on those.

I cannot lift Zena up. I thought that would be the best solution but he is not able to be lifted yet, he gets too nervous.

Quinn’s domain is the table so I can’t use that area unless they share it and I can get Zena to jump up and the countertops are filled with appliances etc. already. But if I thought I could do that I would try it and try to clear space on a counter. The only other place is the stove top and I don’t want to train him to go there. Quinn goes there but I have to be careful to cover any cooling burner with a pan of cold water.

The only other time I remember an issue like this was with Angie who although she was a dominant tortie she was bullied away from her food by the others. Not literally but in her mind mostly. She would only eat under a writing desk in the hallway, unless getting tidbits.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know your situation well enough but have you considered electronic microchip activated feeders?
I was just thinking about it after reading another post here but I am worried about them wearing collars. I have only used beasty bands and Quinn hates any collar. Zena has never worn one and Merlin got his caught in his mouth a few months ago and got in a panic so I took it off.

Also I am wondering how quickly they close etc. because if they push Zena away while the dish is open they could still eat the food before it closes and I am not sure how they are cleaned. We eat only homemade wet and canned here. I will look at them again. I was considering them in the past for some reason but I can’t remember why now.

I had a microchip cat door on the studio that I tried out and it was useless. It didn’t work consistently to open the door and secondly, I was trying to keep Quinn out of the studio and away from Merlin’s litter box. He was able to get in right after Merlin I think or it just didn't work and let him in. So I returned it. Plus the tag for the collar was ridiculously large.

Last edited:

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If they have a microchip they don't need a collar. You can also adjust the speed of the food door. Fancy picked it up in a day or two. It took Delilah 2 weeks in the training mode to become comfortable.

This is a video I watches before I made the choice to buy it:

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If they have a microchip they don't need a collar. You can also adjust the speed of the food door. Fancy picked it up in a day or two. It took Delilah 2 weeks in the training mode to become comfortable.

I just fed the girls. The reason I bought these was because Delilah (gray cat) would eat Fancy's leftovers or push her away - she was already overweight.

On the flip side Fancy (white and black cat) would lick Delilah's plate and get her mad.

Now Fancy is on a limited ingredient diet and not loving it. She'll walk over and try to get into Delilah's plate.

20220328_192832.jpg 20220328_192846.jpg

They make special cover that you can buy separately to keep someone from pushing in from the back, but that hasn't been a problem. I feed Delilah on the table and Fancy under it.

As to cleaning the bowls come out and there is a mat at the front (I have a different color for each girl to keep track of diets) and the doors are removable to clean.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks 😀

Quinn is the only one who is chipped so far. When I took Merlin and Zena in I wasn’t sure if they were going to be staying permanently or indoor cats at all so I did not have them chipped. Merlin I did not chip because he was actually TNR and released at first and the temp clinic did not do chipping either. I wish I had just done it now at the time of Zena’s neuter in Dec and Merlin when I took him in because I had planned to chip all my outdoors cats anyway and had forgotten about that.

I wonder if they will have to be sedated for chipping now? Merlin has calmed a great deal in 3 years and was able after being inside a while to do an us without any sedation, but Zena is a bit skittish and I am not sure if he will need it at dvm yet.

I will look at the various chip bowls available, I assume they cost a lot though. That is great your girls adjusted and it works for them! I am worried my guys will not like that bar over the dish over their head, they are such fusspots 😹

I wonder if some of the whisker relief stainless bowls I got would fit in this, I will watch the video.

Last edited:

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They do make a stainless insert that you can buy from the manufacturer. I spent extra to get the connected version so I could give myself peace of mind and know that Fancy was eating (she was underweight when I adopted her).

They don't have to get put out for a microchip. From what I've seen it's about the size of a grain of rice injected under the skin of their neck.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks 😀

I will look at the various chip bowls available, I assume they cost a lot though. That is great your girls adjusted and it works for them! I am worried my guys will not like that bar over the dish over their head, they are such fusspots 😹
That's why Delilah took so long to train. I had to start with the bowl on the mat in front, then inside with the door open, then the various training modes until she was fine with it closing. It's a slower process but worth it. Now that they know the other isn't going into their food they'll graze more.

These are messages I get on the connected version:
Screenshot_20220311-075225_Pandora.jpg

I can check eating patterns in the app and see when they're eating. I'm less concerned with how much. But I know they ate while I'm at work or asleep.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's why Delilah took so long to train. I had to start with the bowl on the mat in front, then inside with the door open, then the various training modes until she was fine with it closing. It's a slower process but worth it. Now that they know the other isn't going into their food they'll graze more.

These are messages I get on the connected version:
View attachment 415343

I can check eating patterns in the app and see when they're eating. I'm less concerned with how much. But I know they ate while I'm at work or asleep.
I am glad it has worked so well for you that is fabulous😀

I missed your replies here. I took Merlin to dvm and he weighs 17-18 pounds now!!! Nothing came up as a cause, we did bw etc. all ok.
He was very nervous at dvm crying and hyperventilating but not aggressive. He started kneeding and purring to calm himself when dvm came in and let him pet him. Next time I will give him gaba.

So he said to give him 2/3 of his meal each time, which I am doing but he is sooo food obsessed.
I looked at the dishes but they are the same brand as the door I got which did not work and returned and there were a lot of bad reviews saying they did not work or broke. The aggressive kitty can eat by pushing the other cat out of the way and it does not close fast enough or at the back if they don’t have the guard etc.

They are very expensive, M & Z would have to be chipped so I am not going to do it. I am going to get them chipped anyway, wish I had done it before. I just don’t feel it will work for us unfortunately. My dvm was suggesting them as well, he has cats and kittens eating the wrong food, but I am not sure if he actually has them yet.

So it looks like all I can do is stand guard while they eat, ugh 😹 I still have to try the cookie sheet but that is gonna be a big mess. M is gonna drive me crazy. I hope he loses some. I wish there were a med or supplement that could suppress his appetite a bit. Zena is the one now talking me into giving them more food. I am training Zena to be lifted up so hopefully I can get him on a countertop soon. That way they will not eat his food, M anyway, I am sure Quinn will jump up to get it sometimes 😹

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe something here which I copied from a site article might help--the idea is that he needs to spend more time eating, if at all possible. #16 is basically the same as the cookie sheet, or you could try a food tray like they use in cafeterias. Also, I'm copying a couple of other types of slow-feeders. You'll have to decide what will work for you.

By the way, did you ever say how old Merlin is?

Eat Slow Bowl

Is your cat a food gobbler? Some cats hoover up cat food so fast they end up throwing it up right next to the food dish. You can try slowing down the process with the Eat Slow Bowl. The unique structure could certainly work for cats but do make sure you clean it properly between uses, especially if you feed canned or raw/homecooked cat food.

Dealing with Gulpers/Fast eaters
13. Offer food in an interactive feeder
One tip I have for fast eaters (or just as a way for cats to play a fun game) who eat kibble is to put the food inside a treat dispenser ball like this one: PetSafe SlimCat Interactive Cat Feeder. This also works great for cats who have a kibble supply overnight so that they have something to keep them occupied. Tip offered by @abyeb

14. Place food in the egg tray
If your cat gulps down food, putting it in a melamine egg tray or in the hollows of a deviled egg serving dish will force him to eat slower. Tip offered by @jcat

15. Place an object in the food bowl
An upside-down egg cup in the food bowl can slow down eating dry food. Like in this setup -

Tip offered by @Columbine

16. Spread wet food on a plate
Try spreading canned/wet food onto a dinner plate (think putting butter or peanut butter on bread). That way kitty has to lick the food rather than gulp it. Works best for paté style foods. Tip offered by @Columbine

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe something here which I copied from a site article might help--the idea is that he needs to spend more time eating, if at all possible. #16 is basically the same as the cookie sheet, or you could try a food tray like they use in cafeterias. Also, I'm copying a couple of other types of slow-feeders. You'll have to decide what will work for you.

By the way, did you ever say how old Merlin is?

Eat Slow Bowl

Is your cat a food gobbler? Some cats hoover up cat food so fast they end up throwing it up right next to the food dish. You can try slowing down the process with the Eat Slow Bowl. The unique structure could certainly work for cats but do make sure you clean it properly between uses, especially if you feed canned or raw/homecooked cat food.

Dealing with Gulpers/Fast eaters
13. Offer food in an interactive feeder
One tip I have for fast eaters (or just as a way for cats to play a fun game) who eat kibble is to put the food inside a treat dispenser ball like this one: PetSafe SlimCat Interactive Cat Feeder. This also works great for cats who have a kibble supply overnight so that they have something to keep them occupied. Tip offered by @abyeb

14. Place food in the egg tray
If your cat gulps down food, putting it in a melamine egg tray or in the hollows of a deviled egg serving dish will force him to eat slower. Tip offered by @jcat

15. Place an object in the food bowl
An upside-down egg cup in the food bowl can slow down eating dry food. Like in this setup -

Tip offered by @Columbine

16. Spread wet food on a plate
Try spreading canned/wet food onto a dinner plate (think putting butter or peanut butter on bread). That way kitty has to lick the food rather than gulp it. Works best for paté style foods. Tip offered by @Columbine
Thanks 😀 They only eat wet food, so spreading it on a big plate is the one that would work. I do spread it out in his and Quinn’s plates because they both eat quickly, Zena eats slowly. I will research these.
I think he is 4-5 now, he was probably about 6 months to a year when he and his brother, who vanished, showed up outside. By the time I took him in, after tnr, he was already overweight but about 15 lbs or so.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My apologies for asking but did I read that Merlin is a Maine Coon? I'm a little confused thinking of his earlier age, cats don't typically get so much to eat when they're outside that they gain weight from food, so I'm wondering if he's a big breed which also means he would reach maturity/full size later.

He was 15 lbs then at about six months, now three years later he's about 17 lbs, which if he is a big breed can be attributed to natural growth, (no matter what the vets say since some of them can be overly focused on weight rather than the actual, individual cat).

For the larger breeds, such as the Maine Coon, a large fully-grown male can weigh 18 pounds (8 kilos) without being the least overweight.

I'm not sure restricting his food/calories is such a good idea.

The best way to tell if your cat is overweight is by checking the cat. Move your hands along the sides of the body and gently try to feel the ribs. If the cat is within range of its ideal weight, you should be able to easily count the ribs. The ribs should be covered with a layer of fat, but not to an extent that would make it difficult to feel them.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My apologies for asking but did I read that Merlin is a Maine Coon? I'm a little confused thinking of his earlier age, cats don't typically get so much to eat when they're outside that they gain weight from food, so I'm wondering if he's a big breed which also means he would reach maturity/full size later.

He was 15 lbs then at about six months, now three years later he's about 17 lbs, which if he is a big breed can be attributed to natural growth, (no matter what the vets say since some of them can be overly focused on weight rather than the actual, individual cat).

For the larger breeds, such as the Maine Coon, a large fully-grown male can weigh 18 pounds (8 kilos) without being the least overweight.

I'm not sure restricting his food/calories is such a good idea.

The best way to tell if your cat is overweight is by checking the cat. Move your hands along the sides of the body and gently try to feel the ribs. If the cat is within range of its ideal weight, you should be able to easily count the ribs. The ribs should be covered with a layer of fat, but not to an extent that would make it difficult to feel them.
He is not MC, I think he is a big dsh, but I wondered if there could be MC ancestry due to his size, his very thick fluffy fur, but it’s not long hair, and he acts like a dog in many ways. But he does not look MC really.
When he and Marlon showed up they were maybe 6 months to a year and were thinner. I did not trap him for tnr until a few months later so he was probaly 1-2 then and still not overweight but larger. It was after that that he started to gain weight and become obese- when he bit me outside, he was taming himself, I trapped him again and took to dvm, he was described by them as obese then and had a big belly. He was 15lbs then. I did the rib test, can’t really feel them but i am not sure if I am doing it correctly. He fidgets a lot too. I am pretty sure he is obese now, and has gained 3 more pounds. But some of it could be growth.

I think dvm would know if he was not truly overweight. He did not give me a target weight though. I will post a recent pic.

He was getting a lot of food outside from me and other sources which was when he gained. When I took him in he had c difficile and possible ibd I switched his diet, cured him of runs etc. and he lost a bit.

I have heard it is common for free roaming cats who are cared for to be overweight because they are worried about starving, they hunt as well as eat what food people put out for them. And Merlin eats it all and more Merlin and my two remaining outdoor guys are all heavier. But in the past none of my outdoor cats who came in were overweight, I wasn’t feeding a colony then.

Here are pics of when he and Marlon first showed up and later.
Merlin is the one with no white spots in his face…later pics to follow.
1FE275BB-8597-4A29-AA50-388E5D623795.jpeg
1AFD1A1C-0E4A-4FAF-8E50-04D7B7DBD7B0.jpeg
59FABF09-14A0-443B-A8E8-AB69828B9A7B.jpeg

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Later Merlin pics

This one was just now, I will try to get one that
shows him from the front where you can see his stomach etc. is big on either side, the other one is more recent and the last is him outside before I took him in permanently when he had gained a lot and was deemed obese by the dvm who revaxed him then.

2477D97C-5689-475C-9963-A4FEAD07C85E.jpeg

917C322F-AEE9-4F7F-BD5E-5CDA052DEBF6.jpeg

80AFA132-8001-44A4-94BC-3E29AB25B0DD.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a gorgeous fellow! :loveeyes:
Hmmm.... he could lose a bit of weight. What if you were to put a rubberband on the door handle of the bathroom and hook it to one of those removable, no-damage picture hangers that you place on the other side of the door frame, or a child safety "lock" so that smart Quinn can't let him out?

I know you've thought of this, but is there any way to get him more exercise?

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a gorgeous fellow! :loveeyes:
Hmmm.... he could lose a bit of weight. What if you were to put a rubberband on the door handle of the bathroom and hook it to one of those removable, no-damage picture hangers that you place on the other side of the door frame, or a child safety "lock" so that smart Quinn can't let him out?

I know you've thought of this, but is there any way to get him more exercise?
Aww ty 😀 He is a beauty, I felt so bad he got his ear tipped too.
The door on that bathroom used to be able to close etc. but it has on and off probelms and somehow Quinn pushes it open even when locked from inside. I tried to fix it and have someone fix it, but it worked when they looked at it, I out a new handle on but none of the new ones fit it properly, it has a different structure and size. . I was thinking of one of those latch hooks outside and inside and hopefully Quinn will not figure out how to open it 😹 He insists of coming in the bathroom with you or now, letting other kitties out too. I don’t know if the band thing would work because the hanger will fall off, plus I would have to be very careful with any rubber band because Quinn likes to chew them. But I can try that too.
I have been not as good playing with them lately with everything going on, they do run around quite a bit but he needs more prolly. I was thinking of a cat wheel but they all have bad reviews and I don’t think Merlin would use it.

Today for the first time Merlin did not eat all his food and Zena finished it off but then by meal two he was back to stealing it again after he finished his.

I can pick Zena up now, not to a counter yet, but I had to put him in the bathroom to stop him trying to run out the door to get the outdoor cat food when I fed them. Quinn let him out too, or opened the door a bit but Zena did not come out. I had to put him in there 3 x before I was able to close the door before he got out last time, he is so fast. After the first time he figured it out. So maybe I can stop M access to his food and feed Z a bit more too.

KaylaMia&MickeytheKitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am wondering if anyone has issue like this? Merlin was overweight when I took him in and I managed to get him to lose a bit. But eventually he gained more, he hounds me all day long for food and sounds like a screeching infant when he gets riled up. He will come right up to me and meow, harass me etc. He has a food obsession because he is certainly well fed.

They eat a home cooked diet with some canned foods which is the only food they can eat without getting runs. I put pumpkin in for fiber but any grains, psyllium and they have a reaction. I smush his and Quinn’s food flat onto the plate so they will eat more slowly, they still gobble it up as quickly as they can and then they go for Zena’s food. Quinn will even eat only some of his food and then go for everyone else’s food too, he did that with Merlin but it was ok then because M needed to lose weight.

Zena is younger, he was recently rescued by me from outside and I think he is still growing and needs to eat more. But he is very non dominant about his food and just lets them eat it. Then he asks me for more, and the whole cycle starts again. I literally have to stand guard over his food while he eats and yell at Merlin and Quinn not to eat his food lol. A couple of times I have carried Merlin and put him in the bathroom but Quinn lets him out of there or he gets out before I can close the door. I can carry him into the garage and lock the cat door but it’s a real hassle.

They all like to eat together and I think it’s good for Zena’s socialization. I don’t know what to do about this issue. I can’t fully pick up Zena yet so I can’t put him in another room to eat by himself and I think he would get very upset by that anyway. Quinn eats on the kitchen table so nobody else can get at his food because they don’t go up there. Quinn and Zena are not overweight. Merlin is a big cat but def overweight.

I’m taking Merlin to Dvm for a check up and to make sure nothing is wrong that may be causing him to apparently be gaining even more weight. I asked one dvm there about it when I took Quinn in but she said to feed him food he does not like and he will eat less 😹, she had no real solution. I hope they have more suggestions than an rx diet that we can’t use.

I have never had an overweight cat before. They all seemed to naturally keep a healthy weight and were not apparently starving all the time. I think it is some sort of obsession with M maybe. He will play and does run around a lot with his brothers but he is a bit more sedentary than them maybe.
I used to be in a similar situation. My oldest baby Zues was a total foodie! He would even eat pickles if I left one on my salad plate too long! Then his little brother (by love, not litter) ate like a bird! Always turning his nose up. It was a bit maddening. And our 3rd was a rescue that came after our other cat Teddy Bear passed. So she was the odd one out. She was bullied by Zues quite a bit too. It stunk. The best I ever could do was feed Zues on the floor and the other 2 up high. And we also had a chihuahua Bailey who would eat All the cat food he could- if given the chance, and needed to be brought out of the kitchen and fed in the bathroom away from the cats lol. So, I totally understand the meal time stress.

For better or worse, we all survived that way up until the end. Zues passed at 20 years old this past February. And his 2 brothers decided it was their time too shortly after. Bandit the skinny one passed at 16 in November, and Bailey at 15 just a few weeks later in December. Which is how we ended up with our new kitten Mickey.

Mickey kept kind of beating up Pacha who is going on 16 now, so she living the bachelorette life with my mom now, and is doing great.

I think for some cats, they just love food - period. And despite our best efforts, it's not always in our control.

Both Zues & Bandit visited me several times in dreams after they passed. Doing their best to console me.

So, I think as long as we love them our very best, and do the best we can- then we're doing our jobs 🥰💝

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be in a similar situation. My oldest baby Zues was a total foodie! He would even eat pickles if I left one on my salad plate too long! Then his little brother (by love, not litter) ate like a bird! Always turning his nose up. It was a bit maddening. And our 3rd was a rescue that came after our other cat Teddy Bear passed. So she was the odd one out. She was bullied by Zues quite a bit too. It stunk. The best I ever could do was feed Zues on the floor and the other 2 up high. And we also had a chihuahua Bailey who would eat All the cat food he could- if given the chance, and needed to be brought out of the kitchen and fed in the bathroom away from the cats lol. So, I totally understand the meal time stress.

For better or worse, we all survived that way up until the end. Zues passed at 20 years old this past February. And his 2 brothers decided it was their time too shortly after. Bandit the skinny one passed at 16 in November, and Bailey at 15 just a few weeks later in December. Which is how we ended up with our new kitten Mickey.

Mickey kept kind of beating up Pacha who is going on 16 now, so she living the bachelorette life with my mom now, and is doing great.

I think for some cats, they just love food - period. And despite our best efforts, it's not always in our control.

Both Zues & Bandit visited me several times in dreams after they passed. Doing their best to console me.

So, I think as long as we love them our very best, and do the best we can- then we're doing our jobs 🥰💝
Thanks 😁
Wow, sounds like a lot to deal with with all your guys, glad you made it through that. I am so sorry for your loss of them all and that is great Zues and Bandit visited you, you are so lucky. I keep hoping for signs from mine but never get them, maybe occasionally. I am glad Mickey is ok that is sad that she could not stop attacking Pacha but it is best for her not to do that to poor Pacha. edited this because I realized I confused Pacha and Bandit.

I have a feeling putting Zena up on a counter or another table to eat may be the best option, if he will be agreeable to it, he is used to eating next to Merlin now, lol. I am so worried about him escaping because he still shows signs of interest in the outdoors and the food outside.

The thing with Merlin is I am worried about his health and don't want him to be too overweight because it can stress his heart etc. I hope he can lose some weight and not be so obsessed with food all of the time. I am trying to give him more affection as an alternative. He is very sensitive to me telling him not to eat Zena's food and doesn't want me upset with him but he just can't control it most of the time.

Last edited: