Merlin just escaped

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was putting food out for one of my outdoor cats and Merlin just bolted out the door. I have tried to lure him with the food and get him in the carrier but I can’t and now he has gone into a sump behind our property. I am frantic and I don’t know what to do. I can’t go out and look for him right now because It is impossible to get around in the sump and I ate my dinner and my blood sugar is crashing- any ideas? 🙏🏻 He comes back soon.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Is he an indoor only cat? He won't have gone far. Indoor cats usually bolt to the closest hiding place and then hunker down and wait for you to come and find them.

Take care of yourself first. Have something to eat if you need it, then go outside when you feel calmer. Take a carrier and a blanket. Even if he is used to being picked up he might struggle because he's scared. Go and call him in a calm, gentle voice. Sit still so he doesn't feel he has to move off. Take some of his favourite food or treats to lure him with.

Good luck, I hope he comes to you when he hears your voice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he an indoor only cat? He won't have gone far. Indoor cats usually bolt to the closest hiding place and then hunker down and wait for you to come and find them.

Take care of yourself first. Have something to eat if you need it, then go outside when you feel calmer. Take a carrier and a blanket. Even if he is used to being picked up he might struggle because he's scared. Go and call him in a calm, gentle voice. Sit still so he doesn't feel he has to move off. Take some of his favourite food or treats to lure him with.

Good luck, I hope he comes to you when he hears your voice.
Thanks. He is a former outdoor cat. Tnr him about 2 years ago and he has been inside only for about 5 months now since he bit me and I re- trapped him. I am afraid he won’t be able to come back to the door because my other outdoor cats will fight with him etc. He was puffed up at one of them I think when he escaped. I have drunk some juice but I have a lot of insulin on board and I can’t do too much most of the time for 1-2 hours or more after eating. Just going out there trying to get him made it crash.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If he used to be an outdoor cat he knows what he is doing. He's probably going to check out his former neighborhood and lay low until the other cats disappear. Don't worry, he knows where he gets fed and cats have a very good sense of direction. He'll be back.

There's no rush so just wait until you're feeling capable of walking around and looking for him. He'll be able to tell if you feel panicked or shaky, so give your insulin levels time to settle. He'll probably be thinking about coming back home by that time.

:crossfingers:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he used to be an outdoor cat he knows what he is doing. He's probably going to check out his former neighborhood and lay low until the other cats disappear. Don't worry, he knows where he gets fed and cats have a very good sense of direction. He'll be back.

There's no rush so just wait until you're feeling capable of walking around and looking for him. He'll be able to tell if you feel panicked or shaky, so give your insulin levels time to settle. He'll probably be thinking about coming back home by that time.

:crossfingers:
Yes I hope so. I went to check for him again but no sign. Quinn is locked in a room for now. I am feeding the others a tiny bit so they go away hopefully. I don’t know if I can get him in a carrier outside or if he will come in the door etc. I had a terrible time trapping him after he bit me. I am scared he will be bitten by another cat or animal etc. He has had runs/ mooshy poop etc for months now, it may be ibd and he is on meds. I haven't given him his steroid today yet. He could get contaminated by something again. He just tested neg for everything. I have worked for months to stabilize him and he is finally improving.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news! He came back not long after you replied and I got him to come in the door with sardines I had put out for Giorgio that he didn't finish. I don’t think he ate any so I don’t think he will need quarantined etc. He did seem relieved to be home. But I am scared he will do this again. I think he wanted to get some of the food I was putting out because he’s always frantic to eat. He is overweight and I’m trying to feed him less so he will lose weight. But it could be he still wants to go outside even after 5-6 months inside. I wonder if I am feeding him enough?

He smelled like cat urine when he came back and I’m not sure if that’s because he sprayed or someone sprayed him or he was lying on someone’s P area maybe I don’t know. Quinn went crazy and was arching his back and puffed up and Merlin was still puffed up and puffed up more . Quinn was growling and trying to scratch him. So I had to wipe Merlin with the special probiotic cleanser, wash all the floors and spray the carpets with another probiotic cleanser odor eliminator. Quinn seems to have finally settled down and I gave them something to eat so I think things are sort of back to normal now. Merlin is biting his fav catnip carrot. I am so relieved!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
:woo: That's great news! I'm glad he's safe.

One of my cats got out and was yowled at by a feral cat once and he peed all over himself in terror. Maybe that's what happened to Merlin?

What do you feed him? it must be difficult with an ibd cat, usually switching them to all wet helps control their weight and satisfy their appetite.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I am sooo glad he is back:dance:

I am not sure, he was out there for two years and he knows the cats that I feed but he seemed nervous at first and he was all puffed up. And ready to get into it with Giorgio maybe who was ready to fight for food. I don’t know what happened while he was out there, he went into the sump so it is possible he encountered another cat that he doesn’t know or a raccoon or something etc. and like you said got scared and peed on himself. It smelled more like the pee of a non neutered cat though so it’s kind of strange but who knows.

I have been feeding him home cooked food only now and chicken tidbits. I just don’t know if I’m feeding him enough he has a big cat but he’s definitely obese too. Do they change to be hungrier if they have a IBD? I have never heard that before.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I am reading these but I still don’t know how much exactly he needs in ounces etc. but still have him lose weight. They don’t tell you. He needs to lose a couple of pounds maybe but I have been hesitant to pit him on a too restricted food diet due to his tummy troubles. He is just eating chicken/chicken liver and alnutrin supplements and chicken tidbits here and there.

He is quite active when he plays, he umis running around and wrestling with Quinn now and he sleeps quite a bit. Every time I go into the kitchen he follows and asks for food. He is very food obsessed.

None of my cats have been obese. He weighs 15 lbs or he did in August. But they have not weighed him at any visit since as far as I know. He became obese outside starting last February. All my outdoors males are obese, I am not sure what to do.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my goodness, he's gorgeous!!

He's a little chonky but not horribly so, I personally think calling him obese is too strong. He's 15 pounds and should more like... 12 pounds or so I think, as you mentioned.

You need to start weighing him regularly and keep a log, maybe weekly.

It's suggested that a cat gets 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight daily. However, a person needs to be careful, ensure the diet is high protein low fat/carb, and don't have the weight loss occur too fast.

The only way you can control and manage your outdoor cats' weight and what they are eating is by bringing them inside.

This post and the embedded link as well as the entire thread is very useful.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure if these, especially the first website which allows you to input ingredients and it provides calories et al, ...will give you the other part of the information you need. I got a couple addfitional references of how many calories are in chicken, etc, and hopefully there's enough info that you can determine what calories he's getting daily including the breakdown of protein and fat, and whether he's simply like some other raw fed cats who turned into beggars or if you have any wiggle room so that you can get his weight to decrease. But again, all your efforts will be for nothing if you let him/them continue to go outside and they are possibly either hunting or getting fed at a neighbor's.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, he's gorgeous!!

He's a little chonky but not horribly so, I personally think calling him obese is too strong. He's 15 pounds and should more like... 12 pounds or so I think, as you mentioned.

You need to start weighing him regularly and keep a log, maybe weekly.

It's suggested that a cat gets 20 to 25 calories per pound of ideal body weight daily. However, a person needs to be careful, ensure the diet is high protein low fat/carb, and don't have the weight loss occur too fast.

The only way you can control and manage your outdoor cats' weight and what they are eating is by bringing them inside.

This post and the embedded link as well as the entire thread is very useful.
[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]
Isn’t he a beauty😻 He reminds me of Morris a bit from the commercials. Maybe I can get an agent for him and Quinn😹
Thanks, that is what I thought, but I think he has lost a bit since he has been inside. That dvm also wrote on his file that he was aggressive and will bite when I am sure he didn’t try to bite anyone there. She told me she was. not even going to examine him, just sedate him right away. I was not impressed since he was being quarantined for rabies.

Then she told me after that he did not respond to her big cat sedation shot and she had to give him more. They wrote a new sedation medication on his file too. Well, she had over sedated him for sure because he was very dopey and took 2-3 days to get back to normal. She said I could release him the next day. No way after you overdosed him or even if not. The plan then was to release him. He was only getting vaccinations etc. no surgery.
He has since been seen by 3 dvm, no sedation needed and given an ultrasound no sedation

That used to be the best dvm hospital around my area with one great dvm, but they retired and it has gone down hill rapidly and they have lost a lot of the old clientele and patients after being taken over by vca.

Thanks, for all these links and that info. I will have to read all of this and figure out how much he weighs now and how many calories are in my home cooked food. It is no carb and I think it is relatively low fat. Just chicken, chicken liver and supplements. I had a big scale they could walk onto but it was not accurate and confusing so I gave it away. I can’t lift Merlin too much etc. he doesn’t like it, so I have to find one I can get him on.

I think I can reduce the food I put out, def feel I am over feeding the outdoor guys. I can’t take them in, most are not really tame/ touchable.

I don’t want him or them to lose too fast. I know that is not good. But Giorgio, the tamer outside guy needs to lose soon, he is wobbly now due to his weight. He is always coming to ask for food even if he isn’t that hungry.

*alnutrin- the link you provided, is where I get my supplements, I have read their site, I will email and see if they know what the calories are in the recipe I use.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if these, especially the first website which allows you to input ingredients and it provides calories et al, ...will give you the other part of the information you need. I got a couple addfitional references of how many calories are in chicken, etc, and hopefully there's enough info that you can determine what calories he's getting daily including the breakdown of protein and fat, and whether he's simply like some other raw fed cats who turned into beggars or if you have any wiggle room so that you can get his weight to decrease. But again, all your efforts will be for nothing if you let him/them continue to go outside and they are possibly either hunting or getting fed at a neighbor's.

[/URL][/URL][/URL]

[/URL][/URL][/URL]

[/URL][/URL][/URL]

[/URL][/URL][/URL]

[/URL][/URL][/URL]
You seem to be confused, Merlin is an indoor cat now, he has been indoor only for 5-6 months now I do not let him go outside, he escaped- see the first post, why this was posted in cat sos. He was outside for two years and he started gaining weight outside last February. He was always frantic for food although he was not eating everything I put out etc. they all ate it at some point. He was on a different diet then, and hunting too I am sure. I was worried he might have diabetes then and in August his bg was high, but they said it was stress related. I should finger stick his ear, but I don’t know if he will let me😹

Lets be clear, I am not “letting” those cats go outside, the cats I feed outside were dumped outside by cruel idiots and I am caring for them as best I can, tnr, food/ shelter etc. I can’t take them all in, but I would welcome any good trustworthy person(s) who could give them a home. Assuming they are tamable, only one is touchable, Giorgio.

When I tried to get help here with Merlin though I got nothing but a list of shelters etc, most of which did not even respond and none would take him, and a rescue who supposedly listed him on facebook, but who I suspect didn’t because I could never see it. And who said there was no interest in him due to him biting me. Fast forward, he got sick, runs and possible ibd, at which point I knew no one would ever adopt him and he is now my indoor cat after my family agreed finally he can stay. Tg, he is a great cat, but it has taken months of work, to get him to where he is now. He first showed up with his brother Marlon, who sadly vanished before I could tnr him.

I used to have mostly indoor outdoor cats, none of whom were overweight and they hunted as well, so it is not always the case they will be automatically overweight. Although it would make it harder to control the diet for sure.

ok, now to read all this info, I am going to contact alnutrin, I am sure they know the calories in their recipes. And then ask dvm as well.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let us know how things go :)! I'm sending you tons of good thoughts!!

I had that too, a good vet clinic until the original vet retired...,:(
Yep, I was so upset when the best dvm ever retired, so were many others, he was always on the phone with you and a great diagnostician etc.

I will update on his progress 😊

Last edited: