Merlin Has Liquid Runs 2-3 Days Now- Any Ideas?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have also bought chicken flavored gelatin capsules for nasty tasting pills. I can then slip it into a pill pocket of just place it in wet food.

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had only mixed results with that. I ground up his zyrtec and added to tuna when he was taking that but he never ate all of it at once except one time. That happened again today, ground up his m pills, just picked them up at dvm to try instead of liquid, and he only ate a little bit. I use a pill crusher.
For my cat, A tiny portion with a lot of water did the trick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Merlin continues to not take the flagyl mostly, I have no clue why he will eat it sometimes and not others. Yesterday or the day before he licked it all up in 9 lives juice and then refuses the next dose. I tried pills but then went back to liquid. I just don’t know how I’m ever going to get him medicated to see if this is going to help and his diarrhea was worse yesterday- it was too very liquid poops one of which had gotten all over the side of the litter pan. It took so long cleaning it I was late for work.

I would say maybe he’s getting like one or not even half of the dose per day if that when he supposed to be getting two. The Dvm increased the dose from one ML two times a day to two ML‘s two times a day. I just wonder if there is some injectable medicine for diarrhea that I can try but I have no idea if he’s gonna let anybody inject him so that would mean sedation again.

I am just starting to feel helpless about all of this. if I try to put the medication on a spoon with a liquid treat he likes and rub it on his nose he’s terrified of the spoon for some reason. I thought maybe he would eat it with the pill crushed put in the tuna and he did eat a little bit of it today but he only eats half of it and then later eats the other half- lhe ate half of it about two hours ago and now he’s eating a little more but who knows if he’s going to eat all of it and this is a tiny amount of food. It seems the only way I can get him to eat it as if he’s in the mood and when he’s starving. Whether it’s the liquid or the pill.

I tried taking the flagyl in the dropper and kind of dropping it by the side of his face without really touching him but he was not letting me do that either.

I have mostly switched him to the Royal Canin adult Limited Protein I forgot the name of it now but it’s also hydrolyzed I think the DVM said. But he’s not getting any better from that either. In fact maybe it is making him worse for all I know.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have also bought chicken flavored gelatin capsules for nasty tasting pills. I can then slip it into a pill pocket of just place it in wet food.
I am going to try that with pill pockets I don’t know if he will eat them but it is worth a try. I have to go to the doctor yet again tomorrow and I will try to pick some up on the way home. I just don’t know if any of this is having any effect because he is not getting the right dose of medication at the right time and it’s not in his system. Etc.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said he ate his food wIth the crushed pill in it, but in two feeding sessions. Doesn't that mean he's still getting it?
No, those feeding sessions were far apart, and he never eats all of it at once. He knows the meds are in there. He has only eaten all of it at once twice with liquid put in 9 lives I think. I think because he was so jphungry those times.

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What if you tried grinding a number of pills and measuring it into different meals? Or save his uneaten food in the fridge for later ?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you try the saccharomyces boulardii?

I found that not only did Krista like the s. boulardii and it definitely helped with her squirts, but she also took a full 10 day course of flagyl mixed into the yeast (s. boulardii.) Towards the end, she did need just a small amount of food in her yeast pile but she did finish the whole course. That said, it was really only helpful for a couple of days. As the course went on, it destroyed her appetite and she was barely eating much more than the medicine meal.

I think the two things that really helped with Krista was:

1. I increased her s. boulardii dose to 2.5 bln CFU (half a capsule), four times a day. If you have (or want to get) the smidgen-pinch-dash measuring spoons, half a capsule is a pinch or 1/16 of a teaspoon.

2. I added more digestible food to her diet. At first, that was Tiki Cat Raw. Then it was slow cooker turkey or turkey sashimi (the meat I cut off the bone for the slow cooker I cut up into tiny pieces for my nearly toothless cat to get through.) And now I'm making her some homemade with turkey wing meat, turkey liver, and supplements. You can "wing it" for a week or two to stabilize him. But after a couple weeks, I would make sure you are feeding him nutritionally complete food. You don't want to trade one problem for another.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What if you tried grinding a number of pills and measuring it into different meals? Or save his uneaten food in the fridge for later ?
I think he needs to get the dose all at once though for it to work properly. I am just throwing the food away with meds after he won’t eat it. We are wasting a lot of very expensive food and meds here. Last night he ate the pill in a gel cap in two pill pockets. But today he wouldn’t. I left him with just the pill pocket and no food for 2-3 hours and he would not eat it. I put the capsule in a piece of sardine after this and he ate it. But it was about 5 hours after he should have got the next dose. So far no poop at all today. I gave him more sardines and the special diet with s boulardi now so he will prolly poop soon.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you try the saccharomyces boulardii?

I found that not only did Krista like the s. boulardii and it definitely helped with her squirts, but she also took a full 10 day course of flagyl mixed into the yeast (s. boulardii.) Towards the end, she did need just a small amount of food in her yeast pile but she did finish the whole course. That said, it was really only helpful for a couple of days. As the course went on, it destroyed her appetite and she was barely eating much more than the medicine meal.

I think the two things that really helped with Krista was:

1. I increased her s. boulardii dose to 2.5 bln CFU (half a capsule), four times a day. If you have (or want to get) the smidgen-pinch-dash measuring spoons, half a capsule is a pinch or 1/16 of a teaspoon.

2. I added more digestible food to her diet. At first, that was Tiki Cat Raw. Then it was slow cooker turkey or turkey sashimi (the meat I cut off the bone for the slow cooker I cut up into tiny pieces for my nearly toothless cat to get through.) And now I'm making her some homemade with turkey wing meat, turkey liver, and supplements. You can "wing it" for a week or two to stabilize him. But after a couple weeks, I would make sure you are feeding him nutritionally complete food. You don't want to trade one problem for another.
Thanks, still no sign of normal poop. I am not sure if he is even getting enough of the meds to help really since he refuses it most of the time or only eats a little. Yesterday he ate it all, a crushed pill in a gel cap, in 2 pill pockets, but at his next dose he refused that. He pretty much has to be starving to eat it, he hates the flagyl. I got him to eat it in a sardine but it was few hours after he should have had the next dose. I switched back to s boulardi because he doesn’t seem to like forti flora. I gave him a whole capsule in some of the rx meds and more sardines. I hope it is not too much. I will check out those spoons if I can find them. I am feeling so hopeless about this, I hope it goes to normal poop soon.

Ps was already giving him sb as I had that for Quinn, but switched to for ti flora which he didn't like and now started s boulardi again. When I give Quinn flagyl for any runs it stops after two doses

Last edited:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, still no sign of normal poop. I am not sure if he is even getting enough of the meds to help really since he refuses it most of the time or only eats a little. Yesterday he ate it all, a crushed pill in a gel cap, in 2 pill pockets, but at his next dose he refused that. I got him to eat it in a sardine but it was @ few hours after he shoild have had the next dose. I switched back to s boulardi because he doesn’t seem to like the forti flora. I gave him a whole capsule in some of the rx meds and more sardines. I hope it is not too much. I will check out those spoons if I can find them. I am feeling so hopeless about this, I hope it goes to normal poop soon.
The more experienced brain that I picked when I was feeling hopeless about this, the owner of a local raw feeders co-op, put it this way:

”There’s a wide safety margin for s. boulardii. You can’t make matters any worse. You’ll know if you gave too much just as you’ll know if you’re not giving enough.”

Put some of the s. boulardii on a plate by itself or with a little food to see if he likes it. If he does, then you can use as much as a whole capsule to to mix into as small amount of food as possible to get him to take the yeast and the medicine. Once he’s taken his medicine, you’re free to feed him “un-poisoned” (medicine-free) food. I suggest something bland like poached chicken or poached turkey. Plain meat is not nutritionally balanced but neither is food running too quickly through him to get digested. Stabilize his gut first and then you can reintroduce his regular food again.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These spoons are great when you need to open up a capsule and split it between meals. I first figure out how much is in the capsule by pouring it into as many dash or pinch spoons as I need. Then each smaller spoon is 1/2 the spoon above it. These are roughly 1/8, 1/16, and 1/32 tsp. Quantities that will never register on the food scale I use for her food.

RSVP International Endurance 18/8 Stainless Steel 3-Piece Mini Measuring Spoon Set,Silver,Ring holds spoons together for easy storage

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The more experienced brain that I picked when I was feeling hopeless about this, the owner of a local raw feeders co-op, put it this way:

”There’s a wide safety margin for s. boulardii. You can’t make matters any worse. You’ll know if you gave too much just as you’ll know if you’re not giving enough.”

Put some of the s. boulardii on a plate by itself or with a little food to see if he likes it. If he does, then you can use as much as a whole capsule to to mix into as small amount of food as possible to get him to take the yeast and the medicine. Once he’s taken his medicine, you’re free to feed him “un-poisoned” (medicine-free) food. I suggest something bland like poached chicken or poached turkey. Plain meat is not nutritionally balanced but neither is food running too quickly through him to get digested. Stabilize his gut first and then you can reintroduce his regular food again.
He won’t eat the flagyl at all in food or sb etc. he only did it ince in 9 lives juice and baby food but that was when I withheld food for a long time and he was starving. The only way to get it him is is in a Capsule somehow, and there is no way to pill him without risking a bite.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He won’t eat the flagyl at all in food or sb etc. he only did it ince in 9 lives juice and baby food but that was when I withheld food for a long time and he was starving. The only way to get it him is is in a Capsule somehow, and there is no way to pill him without risking a bite.
Well. Flagyl only worked the second day. Then it was, “I’ll give it anyway because I’m not growing resistant strains in her gut if I can help it.” Hopefully the s boulardii will start working soon. Give more. I started her on 5 bln cfu twice a day. And that lessened the frequency but didn’t firm it up. When I went to 2.5, 4 times a day, it started to get better. But honestly. It was switching to bland food, raw food, raw meat, and poached meat that got her over the hump and producing solid stools again. Now I’m able to leave out her regular food again. I’m still working on the best raw for her. Maybe S&C Selects.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well. Flagyl only worked the second day. Then it was, “I’ll give it anyway because I’m not growing resistant strains in her gut if I can help it.” Hopefully the s boulardii will start working soon. Give more. I started her on 5 bln cfu twice a day. And that lessened the frequency but didn’t firm it up. When I went to 2.5, 4 times a day, it started to get better. But honestly. It was switching to bland food, raw food, raw meat, and poached meat that got her over the hump and producing solid stools again. Now I’m able to leave out her regular food again. I’m still working on the best raw for her. Maybe S&C Selects.
Well I had hopes that he was going to go back to normal since he did not poop all day yesterday but today there was a lot more stinky liquid poop and it was all over the place I had to clean out the litter pan yet again and he’s tracking it all over the floor really don’t know how much longer I can deal with all of this and I’m going to just release him soon- nobody wants him and maybe it is from being inside. The rx diet has no effect at all, another waste of money.

I was hoping he would take the Flagyl again I put it in the sardine and he managed to somehow eat it without eating the capsule so I tried putting it in baby food and he wouldn’t eat it, tried a pill pocket again he won’t eat it, so now I’ve wasted yet another dose of Flagyl! I think the S boulardi is making him worse not better so I’m stopping that- it made me worse when I took it too.

I tried raw and my cats hated it, never again. Wizard’s vomiting was worse and Syb would not touch it. Eventually W would not eat it either.

Last edited:

therese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't read all the replies but I know that there are a couple of specialized tests you can have, you can have them send a G.I. Panel to Texas A & M. University veterinary...this will delve into all types of parasites and GI problems.

Secondly, there is a test called " Ova-Parasites & Giardaia Test " from Amtech.. ( there is a code T808 on that test although I have no idea what that means LOL ) .

My cat has IBD and diabetes and chronic, very bad diarrhea...and now they think he might need these additional tests...If we can't locate the issue, there is always an ultrasound.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't read all the replies but I know that there are a couple of specialized tests you can have, you can have them send a G.I. Panel to Texas A & M. University veterinary...this will delve into all types of parasites and GI problems.

Secondly, there is a test called " Ova-Parasites & Giardaia Test " from Amtech.. ( there is a code T808 on that test although I have no idea what that means LOL ) .

My cat has IBD and diabetes and chronic, very bad diarrhea...and now they think he might need these additional tests...If we can't locate the issue, there is always an ultrasound.
Thanks,

Sorry about your kitty, that is a lot to deal with. I hope you get his poop figured out soon.
He had stool tests, first one was normal on normal poop. We gave him drontel anyway, 3 x now. Then he had a $200 pcr stool test after the runs started which tested every parasite. All negative. Are those tests different? Otherwise I am not spending hundreds more on more tests. And anyway the treatment for giardia is flagyl but he is not responding. Assuming he had enough to help, I am having a terrible time medicating him because he won’t eat it on a regular basis and I can’t pill him etc. because he bit me outside.

Dvm mentioned ultrasound but I am not doing that if he is going back out. It would be pointless.

Here is the test he had. He also had blood work which was normal when I revetted him mid August with my other dvm. His bg was high at 270, but everyone says it was stress. The new dvm who is a former dvm of mine said it is not parasites or corona etc and don’t do the tests because he has been inside for a few weeks now so that rules it out from the type of D and time frame it started. Also I know from experience tests can be wrong so sometimes it is better to treat.

I wonder if giving him flea treatment could have affected him, they did that mid August. That happened to Quinn after I made the mistake of putting flea poison on him( done at dvm) as a kitten instead of just giving him a bath. Fortunately his runs etc responded to flagyl and then a home cooked limited diet.

Last edited:

therese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Meowmee ! I am not sure exactly what those tests are or how they would be different from what you are doing....just a suggestion to talk to your vet about and they might not even be relevant to your situation....I do know that on-going bad cat poop can be a nightmare. My kitty has had IBD off and on for years, concurrent with intermittent diabetes....he is 10 now and after four years of good poop and good blood sugar, we were thru a move this summer, a lot of high stress stuff went on and two new little kittens moved in with us, too, so he has been thru a lot....and suddenly his poop has gone bad, for weeks on end. We are on our way this week for a lot of tests, bloodwork, etc. I will update. That is an excellent site, that zoologix.com Thanks for sharing that.....hey, good luck to both of us, right ? :)

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Meowmee ! I am not sure exactly what those tests are or how they would be different from what you are doing....just a suggestion to talk to your vet about and they might not even be relevant to your situation....I do know that on-going bad cat poop can be a nightmare. My kitty has had IBD off and on for years, concurrent with intermittent diabetes....he is 10 now and after four years of good poop and good blood sugar, we were thru a move this summer, a lot of high stress stuff went on and two new little kittens moved in with us, too, so he has been thru a lot....and suddenly his poop has gone bad, for weeks on end. We are on our way this week for a lot of tests, bloodwork, etc. I will update. That is an excellent site, that zoologix.com Thanks for sharing that.....hey, good luck to both of us, right ? :)
Yes but the difference being Merlin should have been released before all of this started and I am in a terrible bind now because no one wants him. His poop was normal until recently. I should have left well enough alone, not wormed him and not switched his diet etc. or tried to etc. There will be no way to monitor it outside. The dvm is closed so no help until Monday. I doubt they will be able to help either they will just say do an ultrasound. Someone on this thread posted it, but I don’t recommend wasting money on those tests frankly. Even my dvm told me not to do them 😹Good luck with your guy, hopefully it is the stress and will stop soon.

I am looking at some meds on amazon with kaolin in them, have you tried that?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you try a bland diet? Poached chicken or poached turkey. With a little pumpkin if he’ll take it.

There’s no sense in trying to feed him regular food while it’s running through him too fast to be digested.

You may also try meat only baby food.

Just meat isn’t nutritionally complete. But neither is the squirts.